Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 7 | Post-Deadline Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Well geez, not setting the bar very high there, are ya? :laugh:

I'd look closer at Strome's supposed "breakout" season if I were you. A ton of his exploits in NY this season have to do with the fact that he's riding shotgun with a one-man army in Artemi Panarin. He's never been a terrible player, just kinda "meh." I'd argue the Rangers haven't been a ton better than the Oilers at developing players.

I hope Poolparty gets another shot, and preferably not in Edmonton. I think they may be something there, and there's only one way to find out. That said, I think the Avs have bigger needs, unless they fail to sign either of Burakovsky or Nichushkin, in which case they might be in the market for another winger. But if not, there is AMPLE depth they have to play with, they don't really need another reclamation project. Someone else will probably step up, and likely with a better trade package.

I was comparing him to our 2019 picks - since we'll most likely have a very late 2020 second.

I agree Strome is riding shotgun to Panarin, but there's still value in those type of players. Similar to how Namestnikov can play on our 1st line without looking out of place. I'm not saying we should trade the farm for him or he'll live up to his 4th overall status, but he would be a good target because it's minimal risk, just like how Burakovsky and Nischushkin were minimal risks. He's the same age as Makar and was also rushed into the NHL. Makar wouldn't be close to the player he is today or be held in such high regard if we threw him to the wolves like Edmonton did with Puljujarvi - but that doesn't mean the potential still isn't there.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Didn’t realize other people liked Donskoi. I’d much rather somebody else pay him 4 million dollars a year to try to play all three forward positions at once and bang into his teammates.

I mean his early season production was nice (thanks Nate) and he works hard and is decent defensively. While we have an abundance of cap space it’s fine. But if we’re going to bring in any other type of forward upgrade going forward I’m begging for Donskoi to be the one to go. (Well him and Jost). I get huge Kerfoot vibes from Donskoi however I’d take Donskoi over Kerfoot 11 times out of 10 because of his work ethic away from the puck.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Didn’t realize other people liked Donskoi. I’d much rather somebody else pay him 4 million dollars a year to try to play all three forward positions at once and bang into his teammates.

I mean his early season production was nice (thanks Nate) and he works hard and is decent defensively. While we have an abundance of cap space it’s fine. But if we’re going to bring in any other type of forward upgrade going forward I’m begging for Donskoi to be the one to go. (Well him and Jost). I get huge Kerfoot vibes from Donskoi however I’d take Donskoi over Kerfoot 11 times out of 10 because of his work ethic away from the puck.
Well, it is true that for contenders in a cap crunch, which should become a reality at some point here as the team goes for it, the Donskoi type deal isn't something you want to keep on the books. But for the time being he's being paid market value as a somewhat versatile third liner. So while I don't see him as someone you want to trade for players who have had lobotomy, he might become a casualty here at the end of his deal.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Well, it is true that for contenders in a cap crunch, which should become a reality at some point here as the team goes for it, the Donskoi type deal isn't something you want to keep on the books. But for the time being he's being paid market value as a somewhat versatile third liner. So while I don't see him as someone you want to trade for players who have had lobotomy, he might become a casualty here at the end of his deal.
Yeah I’m fine with him on this current roster. However I’d gladly trade him in the offseason. I’d trade him for little return too just for cap savings.

I’m not Puljujärvi fan, but heading into next season I’d gladly take Jesse on his ELC to play on the third line rather than Donskoi at 4M. I’d rather put those dollars into a higher impact top 6’er.

In the end the argument between those two is moot because Edmonton also wouldn’t want Donskoi at 4M, but I’m just saying it for argumentative sake.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Donskoi would be one of the last forwards I'd want to lose on this team. His versatility is extremely important. I'm a big JTC fan but I'd move him before I'd move Donny.
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by versatility? That’s always an open ended word.

I know a lot of people think he’s versatile because he can “play up the lineup” which is true. However people neglect the fact that he can’t play “down the lineup” effectively. People look at his overall production and assume he’s a third liner who can move up with injuries. Fact is he fails in that third line role just as he did in San Jose. It’s awfully coincidental that the “streakiness” of Donskoi that everyone talks about coincides perfectly with where he’s playing in the lineup. He currently has 3 goals in his last 36 games. This has been almost 100% in a third/4th line role. Same thing with his 39 game goalless drought in San Jose last season. It came from playing with crappy players. His hot streaks always tend to come when he moves up in top 6 roles. And I mean that’s great, it means he’s a solid placeholder. However it kind of tells us that he can’t really carry the load on the third line.

That’s where my Kerfoot flashbacks come from. Gets plenty of top 6 opportunity and takes advantage of it, but still pisses us off on every shift with his lack of positional awareness. Then when he goes into a bottom 6 role he essentially becomes completely invisible. That’s fine if you constantly have the room to let those guys fill into top 6 roles like we have this year, however if we bolster our forward group any further it’s going to limit Donskoi’s ability to play the minutes he’s best at.

As for Donskoi vs JTC, I don’t love either. Give me JTC’s youth and contract I guess. Especially since he’s actually decent in his role as a third line winger. It’s funny because I think Donskoi is a better hockey player, but I think JTC is a better third line winger.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Imagine if it went down. That would be best case for Colorado. Get Makar and Gabe extended a year early at hopefully a lower than market value rate. Also we may even be one of the few teams that has any cap space to get a Taylor Hall for much lower than market value.

I could also see Taylor Hall taking a one year deal to really cash in a year later with a huge inflated cap however his injury history will make it a big risk.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

It's not that I'm in love with Donskoi or anything, but I'd rather actually trade him for something useful. Trading him for poolparty would be the equivalent of just throwing away an NHL caliber player for nothing.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's not that I'm in love with Donskoi or anything, but I'd rather actually trade him for something useful. Trading him for poolparty would be the equivalent of just throwing away an NHL caliber player for nothing.
You don’t think Pulujarvi can be a 40 point third line winger? Even if not he’d still only be making 1/4 of Donskoi’s salary.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Imagine if it went down. That would be best case for Colorado. Get Makar and Gabe extended a year early at hopefully a lower than market value rate. Also we may even be one of the few teams that has any cap space to get a Taylor Hall for much lower than market value.

I could also see Taylor Hall taking a one year deal to really cash in a year later with a huge inflated cap however his injury history will make it a big risk.

I definitely wouldn't mind watching some of these cap crunching teams suffer under a lowered cap, that's for sure.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You don’t think Pulujarvi can be a 40 point third line winger? Even if not he’d still only be making 1/4 of Donskoi’s salary.
Puljujarvi couldn't make the lineup of the Oilers 2 years ago even with all of his supposed "raw talent". So I think him putting up 40 points in the NHL is definitely a stretch. I really don't think he could be a useful bottom 6 player, he's just too stupid to be effective playing a defensive role and on the PK which he would have to do if he replaced Donskoi. I don't have an issue with moving Donskoi for cap relief in the future, but moving a legitmate NHL player for someone who has proved even less than Yakupov would be idiotic in my opinion.

Reactions: McMetal and cgf

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Puljujarvi couldn't make the lineup of the Oilers 2 years ago even with all of his supposed "raw talent". So I think him putting up 40 points in the NHL is definitely a stretch. I really don't think he could be a useful bottom 6 player, he's just too stupid to be effective playing a defensive role and on the PK which he would have to do if he replaced Donskoi. I don't have an issue with moving Donskoi for cap relief in the future, but moving a legitmate NHL player for someone who has proved even less than Yakupov would be idiotic in my opinion.
He was a teenager. I mean Kakko and Hughes aren’t even sniffing 30 points.

Also I don’t know why you think a Donskoi replacement would have to be effective on the PK considering Donskoi doesn’t pk himself.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He was a teenager. I mean Kakko and Hughes aren’t even sniffing 30 points.

Also I don’t know why you think a Donskoi replacement would have to be effective on the PK considering Donskoi doesn’t pk himself.
He PK's a little bit, he's 5th in SH TOI behind Nieto, Calvert, Bellemare, and JTC. And I think he'd had to be useful on the PK or defensively as he puts up Tyson Jost numbers offensively and we're all sick of him and he's from the same draft year. Poolparty just isn't someone I would trade Donk for. If were trading for Poolparty it'd have to be for a pick, I wouldn't ever trade a roster player for him, at least a useful one.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'

Crazy how a few weeks has changed everything. The Avs are in a fantastic spot if the cap were to decrease. Sakic must be a genius who saw the virus coming and that's why he didn't go for any big names at the deadline :sarcasm:

I have no interest in Hall on anything more than a one year deal though. But we will absolutely have the space to make a move for him if we wanted.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

In order to be that kind of player, Puliujarvi would have to seriously tweak his game, and while a guy like Nichushkin did that, I'm not so sure he can, or is willing.

I also don't get the notion that the Avs have to dump Donskoi's contract like it's suddenly some kind of anchor. Are we already forgetting how instrumental he was in keeping the offense going at an elite pace after 2/3rds of the top line went down...?
Side note: This is the first time I've ever actually typed out Poolparty's name without having to look it up in advance. I'm so proud. :teach2:

Reactions: McMetal

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Pizza boy is a really dumb hockey player... I'm not the biggest fan of Dong (that's what she said), but he's not a stupid hockey player. For that alone I'd prefer Dong.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don’t mind Donskoi, or Compher. They’ve been fine this year.

They were both relied upon too heavily with all the injuries. I think they’ll get easier matchups and get insulated a little better when the team is healthy. I’m not saying that leads to more production, but hopefully slightly improved play.

In terms of losing one of them to expansion, I’d probably rather keep Compher.

I think their impact on the team is pretty similar, but Compher is younger and has position versatility. I like that the Avs can move him between centre and the wing depending on injuries.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In order to be that kind of player, Puliujarvi would have to seriously tweak his game, and while a guy like Nichushkin did that, I'm not so sure he can, or is willing.

I also don't get the notion that the Avs have to dump Donskoi's contract like it's suddenly some kind of anchor. Are we already forgetting how instrumental he was in keeping the offense going at an elite pace after 2/3rds of the top line went down...?
Side note: This is the first time I've ever actually typed out Poolparty's name without having to look it up in advance. I'm so proud. :teach2:

:laugh: so close

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

giphy.gif

Reactions: cgf

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by versatility? That’s always an open ended word.

I know a lot of people think he’s versatile because he can “play up the lineup” which is true. However people neglect the fact that he can’t play “down the lineup” effectively. People look at his overall production and assume he’s a third liner who can move up with injuries. Fact is he fails in that third line role just as he did in San Jose. It’s awfully coincidental that the “streakiness” of Donskoi that everyone talks about coincides perfectly with where he’s playing in the lineup. He currently has 3 goals in his last 36 games. This has been almost 100% in a third/4th line role. Same thing with his 39 game goalless drought in San Jose last season. It came from playing with crappy players. His hot streaks always tend to come when he moves up in top 6 roles. And I mean that’s great, it means he’s a solid placeholder. However it kind of tells us that he can’t really carry the load on the third line.

That’s where my Kerfoot flashbacks come from. Gets plenty of top 6 opportunity and takes advantage of it, but still pisses us off on every shift with his lack of positional awareness. Then when he goes into a bottom 6 role he essentially becomes completely invisible. That’s fine if you constantly have the room to let those guys fill into top 6 roles like we have this year, however if we bolster our forward group any further it’s going to limit Donskoi’s ability to play the minutes he’s best at.

As for Donskoi vs JTC, I don’t love either. Give me JTC’s youth and contract I guess. Especially since he’s actually decent in his role as a third line winger. It’s funny because I think Donskoi is a better hockey player, but I think JTC is a better third line winger.
Donskoi brings a lot more than Kerfoot away from the puck though. Looking at it purely through the lens of offensive production is the wrong way to go about it. There's a lot of non-flashy stuff he does even when he isn't scoring a hat trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad