Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 6 | Deadline Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
While I have seen many praise his recent efforts (and be happy that he's seeing some stats on the scoresheet to reflect those efforts), he still has to show that he can "score 50 odd points", which he has yet to come anywhere close to doing in his near 3 full seasons in the NHL.

The Avs' best bet is for him to continue playing this way, have a good playoffs, and then trade him in the summer when his value will be somewhat repaired.

Ya but if he has scored 50 points then we're not getting him at 1.5
mill. Compher and his 40 points gets 3.5 mill. I mean we got Mack for 6.7 mill cause he hadn't broken out. Maybe we get lucky again. If not; we have a 2 mill bottom sixer.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
88 would be huge for the Avs... They have 60m tied up between 15 players (9F, 4D and 2G). Graves will tie up ~3m, Byram will be on his ELC, and maybe Timmins as well. So ~5m there. LOC will get a low buck 1 way, if Jost is around a prove it deal, and Nuke a ~3m deal. So say ~10-11m wrapped up in 21 players bringing the Avs to 71m. 17m to spend between two spots... Hall at a huge amount and less term could happen... and could still bring in a Granlund/Haula for depth.
So how do you see our lines stacking up when we sign *checks notes* LaDue and Vesey?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Alex Newhook going back to school for an extra year will be such a benefit in so many ways. Not only does he get another full season under York to round out his game, but it means he’s making 925K during year one of Mackinnon’s new contract.

Early on it seemed like a 100% guarantee that he would go back to school next year. Lately it may not be that concrete. I really hope he does go back.
Sounded like ZooMass really like how Brett Clark worked with them, so I hope the same applies to BC.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
That cap increase is a bit scary. Can see some really bad contracts being signed this summer, and I hope the Avs aren't one of those teams.

Give me Dadonov on a 4-year deal and I'm happy.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Obviously the cap going up helps us. But it almost helps other (better?) teams out more by bailing them out of cap trouble or giving them room to sign that big contract they weren't able to before (i.e. Pietrangelo, although I haven't looked at their situation).

It's almost mitigating the one strength we had over other teams. Maybe I'm overreacting.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Obviously the cap going up helps us. But it almost helps other (better?) teams out more by bailing them out of cap trouble or giving them room to sign that big contract they weren't able to before (i.e. Pietrangelo, although I haven't looked at their situation).

It's almost mitigating the one strength we had over other teams. Maybe I'm overreacting.

No it's true. In fact, Jonathan Willis said it helps teams like the Oilers who are not only in cap trouble, but he also mentioned that it raises the floor, which means a team looking to meet that floor without adding a ton of salary could just trade for a contract like Kris Russell's, which carries a decent cap hit but the actual money paid out is much less because the contract was front-loaded.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What could a potential: Z, Grubauer and Jost/Compher package return???
512ZT34YZNL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

Not overreacting at all. Our cap space was a huge advantage for us over other teams, and we didn’t even use 10% of it. This benefits cap strapped teams (which is like 25+ other teams) much more than it benefits us.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I still don't know where Hall would fit on this team or if he would be a net positive, despite his scoring prowess. I think it was a TSN YouTube video from a month or so ago where they discussed his play style and how incompatible it is with most hockey players.

I wouldn't have him play with Nate and mess up his magic, and Kadri needs the puck almost as much as Hall does. Would Taylor sign with the Avs to be their 3LW? I have my doubts. Then again, everything Sakic touches turns to gold, so if he does sign Hall, I'll get on board with his decision.

Agree here. More than happy to keep Landeskog and Burakovskvy as our left side one / two punch. You then have Calvert and Namestnikov as the lest side 3 and 4. Extremely potent all the way down.

At center, I really like Mackinnon, Kadri, Jost then Bellemare, so for mine, that's pretty set. I appreciate people disagree on Jost.

On the right side, we have Rantanen, Nuke (who plays amazingly with Bura / Kadri), Donskoi & Compher.

Then, next season, we have Nieto, Kaut, Newhook, Bowers, Wilson, O'Connor, Kamenev to consider (understand some are Eagles, some may not be re-signed).

So much competition for spots. Already on the books, with plenty of cap space available to upgrading. My suggestion with our defense requiring upgrades as well, is to stay consistent. Don't get any big name players. Keep the group together. We are flushed with talent (we just aren't seeing that because of the rampant injury toll we have).

This team could win a Stanley Cup - this year

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Burakovsky - Kadri - Nichushkin
Namestnikov - Jost - Donskoi
Calvert - Bellemare - Compher

Graves - Makar
Zadorov - Girard
Cole - Johnson

Grubauer
Francouz

and it's actually pretty sad a guy like Kaut may miss out, or Wilson sits if he gets healthy. Kamenev deserves a spot. I'd also feel really disappointed for Nieto (who has 20 points already).

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Not overreacting at all. Our cap space was a huge advantage for us over other teams, and we didn’t even use 10% of it. This benefits cap strapped teams (which is like 25+ other teams) much more than it benefits us.

For mine, it's not about how much you spend on the salary cap, but more about how your team works and plays together. If we were third overall in the NHL (as we are), but we were tight against the cap, would that make us a better team? You don't just spend cap space because it's there, in my view.

On a team that's improving exponentially, you keep those resources available for continuity, and consistency down the line with the personnel you have.

Just imagine an acquisition of Hall costing us one of Mackinnon, Makar or Byram when they require upgrades. No thanks.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Pietrangelo is great, but why would you want him while he starts his decline?

The Avs have plenty of quality defenders.
He’s still one of the best dman in the league. I wouldn’t go over 5 years. Sign him and send EJ to the moon.

Girard Pietrangelo
Cole/Zadorov Makar
Byram Timmins

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For mine, it's not about how much you spend on the salary cap, but more about how your team works and plays together. If we were third overall in the NHL (as we are), but we were tight against the cap, would that make us a better team? You don't just spend cap space because it's there, in my view.

On a team that's improving exponentially, you keep those resources available for continuity, and consistency down the line with the personnel you have.

Just imagine an acquisition of Hall costing us one of Mackinnon, Makar or Byram when they require upgrades. No thanks.

Yeah, that wouldn't happen. Many other players would either be shipped out or bought out before the Avs lose any one of those 3 (in the event they sign Hall).

Reactions: cgf and Gatorbait19

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’s still one of the best dman in the league. I wouldn’t go over 5 years. Sign him and send EJ to the moon.

Girard Pietrangelo
Cole/Zadorov Makar
Byram Timmins

I just don’t think it makes a ton of sense with Makar set to get paid in a year.

One, or both of Timmins/Byram will be playing with the Avs next season. They are going to be legit loaded on defence, very soon.

Byram might start out as a bottom pairing defender, but I can’t imagine that lasts more than a season.

It would be nice to have Pietrangelo for one season, but I doubt he’ll sign with a division rival on a one-year deal.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012

Zadorov alone would fetch a mountain of gold.

Jost potential is now starting to flourish. This board is very critical of him, but he does get accolades from the Altitude team and opposition commentators. He's worth a lot more to our team at present than anything else.

Grubauer is an elite goalie, and with Francouz, is potentially the best tandem in the entire league (hence a large reason we are presently sitting third overall).

When it comes to Zadorov, I can't imagine how frustrated people would be if we went back to the days guys like Johan Franzen used to skate right through our middle without fear to score frequently on us. These days, with Cole, Graves (now), Zadorov (plays a HUGE part), Johnson, Kadri (to a degree) & others, we aren't as easily lent upon, and if teams like The Blues or Jets DO lean on us, we darned well lean back, and then some.

I recall Zadorov almost single handedly dismantling the Jets one night (the night Trouba tried to fight him):

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If you have a chance at landing an elite skater you go for it IMO. One more elite piece at forward or defense would make the Avs the clear cup favourites in this league IMO.

However, Taylor Hall is not that elite piece in my view. This is someone with one fully truly elite season in his career, which was 2017/18. 2013/14 was also great I suppose...but the three years in between that were 38 points (53 games), 65 points (82 games), and 53 points (72 games). Last season he was producing at a high level but managed just 33 games (story of his career), and this year he's again just at 50 points in 62 games. Good numbers, not elite. And he only has just 15 goals. If he's wiling to sign a reasonable contract, sure, but at the likely 7 years, $9-11 million, and full NMC / NTC he's no doubt gunning for? Yeah, no thanks.

Basically, the only way I go for him is if he's decided he actually wants to win something in his career and takes less money / term than some clubs will throw at him in UFA. But given he apparently made it clear to NJ he wouldn't talk contract with any club so that they could do a sign and trade, I think he wants to go to UFA and get courted.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Agree here. More than happy to keep Landeskog and Burakovskvy as our left side one / two punch. You then have Calvert and Namestnikov as the lest side 3 and 4. Extremely potent all the way down.

At center, I really like Mackinnon, Kadri, Jost then Bellemare, so for mine, that's pretty set. I appreciate people disagree on Jost.

On the right side, we have Rantanen, Nuke (who plays amazingly with Bura / Kadri), Donskoi & Compher.

Then, next season, we have Nieto, Kaut, Newhook, Bowers, Wilson, O'Connor, Kamenev to consider (understand some are Eagles, some may not be re-signed).

So much competition for spots. Already on the books, with plenty of cap space available to upgrading. My suggestion with our defense requiring upgrades as well, is to stay consistent. Don't get any big name players. Keep the group together. We are flushed with talent (we just aren't seeing that because of the rampant injury toll we have).

This team could win a Stanley Cup - this year

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Burakovsky - Kadri - Nichushkin
Namestnikov - Jost - Donskoi
Calvert - Bellemare - Compher

Graves - Makar
Zadorov - Girard
Cole - Johnson

Grubauer
Francouz

and it's actually pretty sad a guy like Kaut may miss out, or Wilson sits if he gets healthy. Kamenev deserves a spot. I'd also feel really disappointed for Nieto (who has 20 points already).
I don't think Namestnikov will be with the Avs past this Cup run. Honestly, same goes for Jost and Zadorov. There will be some roster spots available for UFAs, but at the same time, I'd prefer leaving Kaut up with the big club next year and going after Haula or Granlund in UFA rather than Hall. Unless the Avs don't keep Nuke after his breakout year or move on from Burky already, there's just no room for Taylor here.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Yeah, that wouldn't happen. Many other players would either be shipped out or bought out before the Avs lose any one of those 3 (in the event they sign Hall).

Exactly, and that supports my point mate. Why would you WANT to be in a position, on a team presently 3rd overall, consistently making the playoffs, that as you say yourself, would have "Many other players would either be shipped out or bought out".

Not the strategy we need right now.

I was so please with our deadline moves. Even WITH our HUGE injury toll (and lets be fair, it's probably the biggest in the NHL), we keep winning, because of the chemistry, culture, effort & ability of the depth guys we already have.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Taylor Hall is still one of the best at his position in the game. If they have the chance to sign him, they should do that. That's a no-brainer.

They won't though. They'll save the cap space for a rainy day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad