Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 6 | Deadline Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
All we can do now is hope that the refs view this as Zads "being a good boy" and start to give him more of the veteran treatment in the playoffs...

Reactions: Metallo

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
All we can do now is hope that the refs view this as Zads "being a good boy" and start to give him more of the veteran treatment in the playoffs...

There is about as much hope of that happening as Kadri not arguing with a linesman when he's kicked out of the faceoff.

Reactions: Pokecheque and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There is about as much hope of that happening as Kadri not arguing with a linesman when he's kicked out of the faceoff.

lol, true...but I do wonder if this spring happens to coincide with another Zads hotstreak, whether he won't start to get that "playoff warrior" label.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
lol, true...but I do wonder if this spring happens to coincide with another Zads hotstreak, whether he won't start to get that "playoff warrior" label.

Russians can't be playoff warriors. It is written in the CBA.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Russians can't be playoff warriors. It is written in the CBA.

giphy.gif

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Speaking of Girard....

It's crazy to think he is still only 21 and doesn't turn 22 until after this year is over(Regular season anyway). He's the same birth year as Makar. 21 Year old Dman with 220 games of NHL experience already.

He's just entering that sweet spot of a NHL Dmans career where you start to really see how much they're going to "figure it out" moving forward.

I still legitimately believe G will be the 2nd best Dman on this team when all guys are in there primes. Which isn't to say Byram or Timmins will be disappointments. It's to say Girard is criminally underrated and a smart enough player(Unlike Z) that he will continue to get more consistent at his high end level of play and by game 400 of his career he's going to be a legit Top pairing DMan and a guy that would be a #1 on probably 20 other teams in the league(But Makar will prevent him from being our #10.

I think he's going to be a regular ~35-40 point player going forward while playing tonnes of 5 on 5 minutes. IMO he's someone they should start working into the PK as well. His stick work and smarts would make him far more useful than EJ and Z at the very least.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Speaking of Girard....

It's crazy to think he is still only 21 and doesn't turn 22 until after this year is over(Regular season anyway). He's the same birth year as Makar. 21 Year old Dman with 220 games of NHL experience already.

He's just entering that sweet spot of a NHL Dmans career where you start to really see how much they're going to "figure it out" moving forward.

I still legitimately believe G will be the 2nd best Dman on this team when all guys are in there primes. Which isn't to say Byram or Timmins will be disappointments. It's to say Girard is criminally underrated and a smart enough player(Unlike Z) that he will continue to get more consistent at his high end level of play and by game 400 of his career he's going to be a legit Top pairing DMan and a guy that would be a #1 on probably 20 other teams in the league(But Makar will prevent him from being our #10.

I think he's going to be a regular ~35-40 point player going forward while playing tonnes of 5 on 5 minutes. IMO he's someone they should start working into the PK as well. His stick work and smarts would make him far more useful than EJ and Z at the very least.

I admit that I severely underrated Girard coming into the season.

After the playoffs I wasn’t even sure if he’d be a top-4 defenceman long-term. But, damn was I wrong.

He’s been excellent this season. His confidence with the puck is 100% back. Even last game, he pulled off a spin move in his own zone, just for the hell of it. His short area turns are effortless.

As for the PK. I don’t really want to see Girard, or Makar killing penalties. I don’t want them to waste their energy. Let the bottom pair guys handle that role so they can go full throttle.

Byram has a long ways to go before he reaches Girard’s level, but he certainly could do it. I think because we don’t need Byram to be a great player we’re all just kind of like, ‘yeah whatever he becomes is great.’ But the kid has better size than Makar and Girard and all kinds of talent.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Girard is excellent and we don't even notice anymore, we just take it for granted. He had a rough patch during the 1st Makar injury but since then he's been playing top pairing quality defense and has been carrying EJ quite a bit. Shame that he's not better at finishing plays offensively.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Z can get lost, 90% of what made him fun and valuable was the hits and ability to impact the game momentum. I think there has been nights he hasn't hit anything.

Z is just a giant stack of stupid without that part of his game.

Mate, I respect your opinion, but in this instance, I will say this. When the opposition is on the ice when Z is out there, they have their eyes up looking out for him, and they tend to play more defensively.

The guy has rarely been out of the line-up the last three years (healthy), has been a plus player all of those years, and is on track points wise to surpass last year.

Also, I do believe if he's not hitting guys, it's a Bednar strategy, not his. His natural style is to dominate using his size and body.

I'd not lose Zadorov for anything. Plus he's a team guy. He's improving every year (steadily). He also adds something our team needs lots of...that intimidation factor.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
While I have seen many praise his recent efforts (and be happy that he's seeing some stats on the scoresheet to reflect those efforts), he still has to show that he can "score 50 odd points", which he has yet to come anywhere close to doing in his near 3 full seasons in the NHL.

The Avs' best bet is for him to continue playing this way, have a good playoffs, and then trade him in the summer when his value will be somewhat repaired.

If he has a great finish to the year (which seems to be happening), an even better playoff series, going by what Super Joe has done historically, I could see him re-signed, to be honest.

Games in hand, we could potentially be 2nd overall in the entire NHL (where I thought we'd be to be honest).

I just don't get the want or need to be trading anyone, including all players and what they bring to the collective. The acquisitions I DO like on the other hand, is the players for say our 4th round draft picks. We got 2 NHL'ers this deadline, and gave up nothing really.

Reactions: sethro109

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Mate, I respect your opinion, but in this instance, I will say this. When the opposition is on the ice when Z is out there, they have their eyes up looking out for him, and they tend to play more defensively.

The guy has rarely been out of the line-up the last three years (healthy), has been a plus player all of those years, and is on track points wise to surpass last year.

Also, I do believe if he's not hitting guys, it's a Bednar strategy, not his. His natural style is to dominate using his size and body.

I'd not lose Zadorov for anything. Plus he's a team guy. He's improving every year (steadily). He also adds something our team needs lots of...that intimidation factor.

The future for Zadorov is not so bright Sea Eagles. The problem with Zadorov is that even if we resign him, we can loose him in the expansion draft. We will have Makar, Byram, Timmins and Girard on this team.

Maybe we can trade Z in order not loose him for nothing. Maybe a late 1st rounder or 2nd round pick. We need a 2nd round pick too this year.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Specially if the Avs have a deep run. Credibilty and status goes a long way in the eyes of the refs.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
My goal for Zadorov is that he hits one of his classic 15ish game elite shutdown D stints during round 2 of the playoffs. Bully around other teams and shutdown their stars on route to a Stanley Cup run while the whole world watches. Then ship him off at the draft.

This may sound crazy but if he plays like he did late November to early January when it matters most on a national stage, we’re getting a 1st for him.

Players like Girard/Graves/EJ aren’t capable of being as impactful as Nikita Zadorov when he’s at his best. Unfortunately he’s only at his best for about 10% of the season and the rest of his play is downright painful. It would be wonderful to maximize his value by having Z at his best when it matters most.
That would be the dream.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
It would be great if he stepped up, but I can’t remember the last time Zadorov had one of those thunderous hits he used to be known for.
At this point, we have more than enough horses getting us through the regular season. If Z is tasked with someone in the playoffs like he was Tkachuk, then we can only hope the playoffs will bring out his competitive streak.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Salary cap projected to be between 84-88.2M for next year.

The 84M I'm guessing if the players use none of the escalator they could use while the 88.2M being if they used all 5%.

My guess is we'll see a cap around 84.5-85M for next season. A decent sized jump considering it didn't move last year.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Holy shit this is big. It wasn’t expected to increase at all. 84M is higher than I expected. If it goes up to 88 that’s insane. Especially when you consider and anticipated major raise the year following with the new TV rule.

I see Joe Sakic chasing Taylor Hall this summer.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Holy shit this is big. It wasn’t expected to increase at all. 84M is higher than I expected. If it goes up to 88 that’s insane. Especially when you consider and anticipated major raise the year following with the new TV rule.

I see Joe Sakic chasing Taylor Hall this summer.

I believe the 88.2 would come with a full 5% escalator factor being used by the players which I dont foresee happening.

But ya either way, 84M is a 2.5M increase which is pretty significant and I suspect it ends up more along the lines of ~85-86M.

Avs will have a lot of cap space again this summer to be aggressive in getting more ammunition if they want to.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
The jaw and fear of penalties is definitely hampering Zs game.
Sucks because when hes on, hes exactly what we need for our runs here at the cup.
Really dont want this to turn into a Chara incident (numbers and stories are very similar) very. Seems the writings on the wall ice time wise tho.
Makar is solid. Like Byrams edge tho that will take years to be impactful in the nhl. I worry a bit about our D over continuous long playoff runs in the West.
Rather "waste" a mil or 2 on Z for one last chance than Jost

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
88 would be huge for the Avs... They have 60m tied up between 15 players (9F, 4D and 2G). Graves will tie up ~3m, Byram will be on his ELC, and maybe Timmins as well. So ~5m there. LOC will get a low buck 1 way, if Jost is around a prove it deal, and Nuke a ~3m deal. So say ~10-11m wrapped up in 21 players bringing the Avs to 71m. 17m to spend between two spots... Hall at a huge amount and less term could happen... and could still bring in a Granlund/Haula for depth.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I’d rather sign Granlund and/or Haula than Hall. Hall’s going to get paid. My 1st choice would be Pietrangelo, but the Blues will re-sign him for sure.

I kind of wonder about that.

It's a little interesting that a deal hasn't been done yet IMO. Plus a couple of the other moves the Blues have recently made as well are a little interesting from that perspective.

I wouldnt be the most surprised person if they part ways this summer.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Salary cap projected to be between 84-88.2M for next year.

The 84M I'm guessing if the players use none of the escalator they could use while the 88.2M being if they used all 5%.

My guess is we'll see a cap around 84.5-85M for next season. A decent sized jump considering it didn't move last year.
Cool so that means we’ll have $10m+ of unused cap space instead of $8m :sarcasm:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Alex Newhook going back to school for an extra year will be such a benefit in so many ways. Not only does he get another full season under York to round out his game, but it means he’s making 925K during year one of Mackinnon’s new contract.

Early on it seemed like a 100% guarantee that he would go back to school next year. Lately it may not be that concrete. I really hope he does go back.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I still don't know where Hall would fit on this team or if he would be a net positive, despite his scoring prowess. I think it was a TSN YouTube video from a month or so ago where they discussed his play style and how incompatible it is with most hockey players.

I wouldn't have him play with Nate and mess up his magic, and Kadri needs the puck almost as much as Hall does. Would Taylor sign with the Avs to be their 3LW? I have my doubts. Then again, everything Sakic touches turns to gold, so if he does sign Hall, I'll get on board with his decision.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Alex Newhook going back to school for an extra year will be such a benefit in so many ways. Not only does he get another full season under York to round out his game, but it means he’s making 925K during year one of Mackinnon’s new contract.

Early on it seemed like a 100% guarantee that he would go back to school next year. Lately it may not be that concrete. I really hope he does go back.
I hope he takes the extra year in college. I think it would be highly beneficial for everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad