Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 10 | Hockey in august , meh not so bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Only way we get Pie is if he takes a short term deal and that MIGHT happen with this current situation and many teams needing to work their own books. Of course, we could be in trouble cap wise pretty soon as well.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Graves had a poor start to the AZ, series, but came on in the last couple games. Unfortunately, he was really bad in game one against Dallas.

Ultimately Byram will take his spot, it just comes down to how quickly he develops.

I think the most exciting for me that could happen during these playoffs (other than winning the cup of course), is for Byram to get called upon for some games and for him to come in carrying all the momentum he had at the end of the season. Can you imagine how stoked we would be if Byram came in with the same impact that Makar had for us last playoffs? I'd be so hyped for the upcoming years.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
IF Lehner doesn't re-sign in Vegas (I think he will given what's happened with Fleury's agent), then I would be fine giving him a long-term deal and running with him and Frankie - that is assuming that the Avs aren't planning to re-sign Grubauer. Now, if Sakic does plan to keep Gruby for another contract, then you just roll with him and Frankie next year and may the best man win the starting job.

As for Pietrangelo, he's the one free agent I'd say "screw it" and sign, then work out the cap issues later. It wouldn't even have to be an overly short deal because he'd be worth it. Shea Weber is 35. Duncan Keith is 37. If you look at the past as well, really top defensmen, especially big ones, can still perform right into their late 30's.

I just did a quick armchair GM and if we sign Pietro, it just means moving out Zadorov and probably Cole (if not him, then Compher or Donskoi). It probably also means moving Timmins, which would be a shame.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Man, how serious is this Grubauer injury moving forward... There has to be serious concern about his groin moving forward. It's sad to say, but he's probably lost millions this season. With the market for goalies already trending down, it's hard to see a team committing several years to a goalie who can't stay healthy. Frankie is going to get his chance to prove if he's a #1 goalie or not.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm not quite sure how Vegas retains Lehner, he's going to command a ~$5 mil AAV. The only option is trading Staz, which means they're gambling on Glass being their #2C.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm not quite sure how Vegas retains Lehner, he's going to command a ~$5 mil AAV. The only option is trading Staz, which means they're gambling on Glass being their #2C.

Best option would be to trade Fleury. He had a down year (27-16-5, .905 SV%), but he's still better than what most teams have in net. Might be tougher to move him with the flat cap but we'll see.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Best option would be to trade Fleury. He had a down year (27-16-5, .905 SV%), but he's still better than what most teams have in net. Might be tougher to move him with the flat cap but we'll see.

Not quite sure why any team would take Fleury without a significant add-on. He still has 2 more years at 7 million and has been trending downwards the last 2 years. Fleury is potentially better than most teams have in net, but he has to regain his form.

Our goaltending is pretty average, but there's no way I would want Fleury for free the next 2 years in a flat cap world.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Not quite sure why any team would take Fleury without a significant add-on. He still has 2 more years at 7 million and has been trending downwards the last 2 years. Fleury is potentially better than most teams have in net, but he has to regain his form.

Our goaltending is pretty average, but there's no way I would want Fleury for free the next 2 years in a flat cap world.

I don't know about two years. He was 35-21-5 with a 2.51 GAA and .913 SV% last year. Even this year, it was more like he had a bad (awful) second half of the season, more so than the entire season being a wash:

First 24 GPFinal 25 GP
14-8-2, .918 SV%13-9-3, .891 SV%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Vegas will have to take some salary back, but I don't see this as a situation where they're adding a 1st round pick to move him.

One team I was immediately thinking about was Buffalo. They need to make the playoffs desperately, Ullmark has never carried a full workload and Hutton is not good.

Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't know about two years. He was 35-21-5 with a 2.51 GAA and .913 SV% last year. Even this year, it was more like he had a bad (awful) second half of the season, more so than the entire season being a wash:

First 24 GPFinal 25 GP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Vegas will have to take some salary back, but I don't see this as a situation where they're adding a 1st round pick to move him.

One team I was immediately thinking about was Buffalo. They need to make the playoffs desperately, Ullmark has never carried a full workload and Hutton is not good.

If Buffalo is that dumb and desperate, more power to Vegas I guess.

That contract should be radioactive to the rest of the league though. Fleury has always been a feast-or-famine goalie. He's either phenomenal or terrible, and during his short stint in Vegas has had to deal with two very injury-plagued seasons. In this last season since his return from injury he's been pretty awful, prompting the need for the organization to find a more reliable Plan B, which they found in Lehner. He's 35 and is signed for $7 million per season until he's around 37-38, I wouldn't go near it, and I seriously doubt Vegas retains on a salary THAT big.

Reactions: LTC Pain

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

First 24 GPFinal 25 GP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Fleury still has a 10-team NTC, I highly doubt Buffalo isn't on that list. I don't see why he would be willing to give up his starter position and the chance to win another cup, especially since the only opportunity Vegas has to replace him is if he agrees to move, it's a different situation compared to Pittsburgh. Fleury is only getting traded if he's willing to be traded to help the team... which I would say is pretty damn low at this point of his career IMO.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
If Buffalo is that dumb and desperate, more power to Vegas I guess.

That contract should be radioactive to the rest of the league though. Fleury has always been a feast-or-famine goalie. He's either phenomenal or terrible, and during his short stint in Vegas has had to deal with two very injury-plagued seasons. In this last season since his return from injury he's been pretty awful, prompting the need for the organization to find a more reliable Plan B, which they found in Lehner. He's 35 and is signed for $7 million per season until he's around 37-38, I wouldn't go near it, and I seriously doubt Vegas retains on a salary THAT big.

He had a concussion in his first season, but still started 46 games. Last year he started 61 games, and this year started 48 games, which was tied with David Rittich for 8th in the NHL.

He's old, but he only has two years left on his deal. It's not like he has the Parise contract.

Reactions: MarkT

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Fleury still has a 10-team NTC, I highly doubt Buffalo isn't on that list. I don't see why he would be willing to give up his starter position and the chance to win another cup, especially since the only opportunity Vegas has to replace him is if he agrees to move, it's a different situation compared to Pittsburgh. Fleury is only getting traded if he's willing to be traded to help the team... which I would say is pretty damn low at this point of his career IMO.

Based on his agents tweet, I'd say we're there. He could have sat on the bench, with the potential to still take over this post-season, but he basically ok'd his agent tweeting that bombshell of a photograph.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't bet on Walsh making it easy on Vegas. He's likely to push Fleury to select the 10 teams that have basically zero chance to take him on for his NTC and leave it. Walsh is about as vindictive as they come...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He had a concussion in his first season, but still started 46 games. Last year he started 61 games, and this year started 48 games, which was tied with David Rittich for 8th in the NHL.

He's old, but he only has two years left on his deal. It's not like he has the Parise contract.

Again, that's not speaking about the quality of those 48 games. He was great to start the season, got hurt, and when he came back was hot garbage. He was also not good enough in last year's playoffs. There's good reason why Pittsburgh ultimately chose to move on, it wasn't just cap concerns. I realize his contract isn't Suter/Parise-level, it's still not eminently movable.

Reactions: shadow1

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Walsh is about as vindictive as they come...

Small sample:

Translation of Tremblay's comment: It's not in a park but on the ice that you should be good when your team needs you lol.

And then...

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Small sample:

Translation of Tremblay's comment: It's not in a park but on the ice that you should be good when your team needs you lol.

And then...

Speaking of brave , Walsh should shut up , coz even at Tremblay's age he would kick Walsh's ass.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Man, this team could use a Pietrangelo so much more than a Hall in the playoffs. It sucks it will never happen, but with our current young guns on D and with Byram and Timmins coming up, he’d be a perfect mentor to all of them.

Also, I’m tired of Graves and Cole. Shoot them out of a cannon when the offseason comes and don’t look back.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Man, this team could use a Pietrangelo so much more than a Hall in the playoffs. .

Petro is a pipe dream but we need Taylor Hall in a bad way. Our offensive depth is really getting exposed.

If we need a calming vet presence on the right side we could go after Petry but he'd steal Timmins' spot.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Petro is a pipe dream but we need Taylor Hall in a bad way. Our offensive depth is really getting exposed.

If we need a calming vet presence on the right side we could go after Petry but he'd steal Timmin's spot.

I’m so fine with that. Timmins has potential, but this team has also waited on potential quite a few times (Jost, Compher, Burgas, Elliott) and now we are wasting MacKinnon’s prime years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad