Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I have no problem playing Belly in OT. He was there to win the faceoff and play defense if he lost it until we gain possession back. The problem is that once we did he skated by the bench and into the attack. It would have been very easy for him to change right there to have a much better offensive player. The guy with puck (Mack in this situation IIRC) should recognize this and slow down a bit to allow that change. It turns out they put a little bit of pressure and then lost possession without a god scoring chance. Belly taking the faceoff was OK with Kadri not there and Landy not having a good game. Mack should never ever take a faceoff in OT because possession is too important. I would even prefer he is off the ice on every faceoff. Wait to put him on once you get possession. He would be fresh while the other team's players are tired.
I agree with all of this, but it supports my point. This team is missing a solid 3c that could step in in that situation and not need the faceoff man get off the ice immediately. Jost is just not what we need/want at 3c and it’s evident b/c he’s been relegated to the 4th line for a reason.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Okay, so the thing I don’t get about all of this Hall stuff is that apparently Shero is a trading wizard, he always comes out on top in trades, yet he still has one of the worst teams in the entire NHL.
If he could just win a trade for a halfway competent goalie, the team might be alright. Not a playoff team, but respectable at least. I think the goalies being awful has really deflated the team in front of them by letting in softies all night. Get them even a below-average NHL tender and maybe the talent on the rest of the roster would find a spark.

The problem is, no team is giving up the kind of goalie they need mid-season.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
If Hall gets traded to Avs mid game this Friday would Avs have Hall's jersey ready to be put on him at the start of the 2nd period? How long does them take to stitch the name on the jersey?

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Does he really have that rep? I'm actually reviewing his trades and they vary in value but none are outright steals.

I’ve seen fans from a few different teams say he doesn’t get beat in trades. Primarily Penguins & Devils fans, but this sentiment is not exclusive to them, and I just don’t understand it.

Because when you're obsessed with "winning" trades over everything, sometimes you don't bring in the best fit. And he's absolutely dog **** at drafting, too.

His drafting has left me scratching my head quite a bit, to be honest. Wasn’t it rumored he was considering taking Makar over Hischier when they had that 1OA? He should’ve just stuck to his guns on that one. I can’t say how happy I was he passed on Rantanen to go with Zacha, too.

If he could just win a trade for a halfway competent goalie, the team might be alright. Not a playoff team, but respectable at least. I think the goalies being awful has really deflated the team in front of them by letting in softies all night. Get them even a below-average NHL tender and maybe the talent on the rest of the roster would find a spark.

The problem is, no team is giving up the kind of goalie they need mid-season.

Their forward corps should definitely be performing better, but like you said, the goalies sunk that team early, and personally, I don’t think their defensive corps is remotely good, either. Trading for Subban seemed like a mistake at the time the deal was made. Vatanen was a good find, but hasn’t performed for NJ the way he did for ANH. It’s an ugly looking defense and there’s not much hope in sight for it to get better any time soon.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I’ve seen fans from a few different teams say he doesn’t get beat in trades. Primarily Penguins & Devils fans, but this sentiment is not exclusive to them, and I just don’t understand it.

I don't know that he has "fleeced" too many teams, obviously the hall and palmieri trades were big wins and have a lot of public perception in that, but he's typically good about his trades. At the time, they tend to make sense, and he seldom is seen as giving up too much. The one I'd argue he did was the Mirco Mueller trade, but overall, at the time of the trade, his deals are often seen very positively. The grabner trade was another not great one.

That being said, they certainly don't all work out. The Marjo trade seemed awesome at the time, felt like the devils got a steal. That didn't work at all as Marjo couldn't stay healthy, and while he was productive in the lineup, he never quite for in completely. Even the pk trade makes a ton of sense and seemed like great value. Sure, that was money related (the low return) but the devils had no problems with money even with him, so the return they gave up was more than worth it. But it's been not good.

But small deals like getting a second for Boyle, a 2 + 4 for Marjo, etc, are mostly positive. I don't know that he's a wizard or anything, but I'm confident in his ability to negotiate a trade.

Wasn’t it rumored he was considering taking Makar over Hischier when they had that 1OA?

Corey Pronman wrote leading up to the draft that Shero was very high on makar and had him going number one in his final mock draft to the devils. That draft was mostly all about Nico / Patrick at the top, but Pronman did put that possibility out there that they could go makar. Honestly? Wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen just because the devils weren't able to trade down

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If Sakic is looking at giving up assets for a pure rental, I’m hoping the Oilers fall out of the playoffs, and Kassian is made available.

I’m sure they’ll try and re-sign him, but that would be a great add for the playoffs.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
If Sakic is looking at giving up assets for a pure rental, I’m hoping the Oilers fall out of the playoffs, and Kassian is made available.

I’m sure they’ll try and re-sign him, but that would be a great add for the playoffs.

Where would you put him in the lineup?
The 4th line already kicks ass.
The 3rd line, maybe?

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I don't know that he has "fleeced" too many teams, obviously the hall and palmieri trades were big wins and have a lot of public perception in that, but he's typically good about his trades. At the time, they tend to make sense, and he seldom is seen as giving up too much. The one I'd argue he did was the Mirco Mueller trade, but overall, at the time of the trade, his deals are often seen very positively. The grabner trade was another not great one.

That being said, they certainly don't all work out. The Marjo trade seemed awesome at the time, felt like the devils got a steal. That didn't work at all as Marjo couldn't stay healthy, and while he was productive in the lineup, he never quite for in completely. Even the pk trade makes a ton of sense and seemed like great value. Sure, that was money related (the low return) but the devils had no problems with money even with him, so the return they gave up was more than worth it. But it's been not good.

But small deals like getting a second for Boyle, a 2 + 4 for Marjo, etc, are mostly positive. I don't know that he's a wizard or anything, but I'm confident in his ability to negotiate a trade.

Corey Pronman wrote leading up to the draft that Shero was very high on makar and had him going number one in his final mock draft to the devils. That draft was mostly all about Nico / Patrick at the top, but Pronman did put that possibility out there that they could go makar. Honestly? Wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen just because the devils weren't able to trade down
Appreciate the clarification.

Sakic is pretty good about trades, as well, and from what I can tell he approaches them diplomatically and tries to make sure both teams come away happy with the return they receive. If Hall does get traded to the Avs, I’m sure NJ will come away with at least one big piece that they coveted.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Kassian would be a nice addition, but I’m sure the Oilers will re-sign him. The thing I’d be scared about him is he takes dumb penalties. Last nights game is an example, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad