Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Jost for Puljujarvi
If he doesn't turn it around by December, I'd honestly rather they try and get a late 1st out of someone, but that's probably unlikely at this point, if not get a 2nd and small plus. Team is going to need a lot of ELC's going forward.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Why? Jost is a capable NHLer, he's just not looking likely to be a top 6er.
I don't like Poolparty, but I kinda agree something is going to have to give on the Jost front later this year. He's a Top 6 or bust(with our team) at this point considering current contracts and organizational depth. He's going to need a new contract soon, and we already have enough $ tied up in the bottom 6. Next year it's going to be even harder to battle for a spot.

Not that I don't think it could happen, but if this year isn't his year, I just hope he isn't on the team again next offseason hoping for something to change.

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Why? Jost is a capable NHLer, he's just not looking likely to be a top 6er.
I think there's something there in Puljujarvi, with Rantanen and Donskoi on the team I think he'll do better than in Edmonton.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My biggest problem with the Bura trade is that it was a waste of a solid asset that could have been a nice sweetener or two (not main piece) to complete a trade for an known solution. The Avs went the cheaper/riskier route to add a depth wing. B Prospect +1st +2nd should be able to get a pretty decent long-term solution. Cut that 2nd out and you're purely in rental territory or having to include an A prospect.

We all want Jost to breakout and be 29 year old Parise 2.0... it is just doesn't look that that is going to happen, and the Avs need to be ready to make a move if it is abundantly clear midseason.

I think Jost may end up being traded even if he breaks out. He's just the logical piece a team would want as part of a package for a pending UFA, and based on Sakic's pursuit of Panarin, I'm expecting him to be very aggressive at some point.

Plus he seems better at center and while he can be a good #3C, the Avs have lots of options there (Compher, Bowers, Newhook), and might be better served moving him for a pure winger.

The Bura trade will probably not go the way Sakic hoped, but he basically paid a rental price and got him for the full year. He's basically this years Boedker/Brassard trade.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
I think Jost may end up being traded even if he breaks out. He's just the logical piece a team would want as part of a package for a pending UFA, and based on Sakic's pursuit of Panarin, I'm expecting him to be very aggressive at some point.

Plus he seems better at center and while he can be a good #3C, the Avs have lots of options there (Compher, Bowers, Newhook), and might be better served moving him for a pure winger.

The Bura trade will probably not go the way Sakic hoped, but he basically paid a rental price and got him for the full year. He's basically this years Boedker/Brassard trade.
If Jost breaks out, why would we trade him

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If Jost breaks out, why would we trade him

Because even if he breaks out and becomes a ~50 point player, he still won't be quite on the level of guys like Hall, Granlund, Kreider, and maybe even Toffoli (I think he'd be a more productive player on the Avs) and I think those may be the guys Sakic targets around the deadline.

I think Sakic knows the Avs are on the cusp of competing for a Cup and he's looking to load up. His aggressive pursuit of Panarin is what leads me to believe this.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Jost shouldn't be traded for a rental. Worst case scenario he's a cheap 3rd liner for 5 seasons. If you're only renting a player you're better off trading away draft picks. I'm not against trading Jost for someone with term.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Because even if he breaks out and becomes a ~50 point player, he still won't be quite on the level of guys like Hall, Granlund, Kreider, and maybe even Toffoli (I think he'd be a more productive player on the Avs) and I think those may be the guys Sakic targets around the deadline.

I think Sakic knows the Avs are on the cusp of competing for a Cup and he's looking to load up. His aggressive pursuit of Panarin is what leads me to believe this.

If Jost starts to break out, I don’t think Joe would trade him. Maybe he acquires a wing to take Bura’s spot in that case.

Don’t think the Preds would trade us Granlund even if they weren’t competing. Would like Kreider but know it’s very unlikely he re-signs here, so Joe probably wouldn’t give up that much for him. I think Toffoli however, is a very likely candidate. Won’t cost too much in assets and we could make it conditional on him re-signing.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If Jost is gonna break out its gotta be this year, it's his 3rd year and if it doesn't happen this year it most likely wont happen. So far doesn't look good, but there is still time I guess

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Its all about cap management and maximizing the window. With Mack, Mikko, Girard on 4+ years deal, you project Landy's new deal and expect Makar to do a Rantanen coming out of his ELC. Add in the existing deals of Kadri, Compher and Donskoi and EJ and that pretty much tells you whether you can add a TOP 6 winger on a long term deal or if you need to add short term solutions (rentals) to maximize your window. Or you throw caution out the window and grab a long term top 6 winger regardless and deal the excess away, like Vegas did. Either way, you need to seize the opportunity and get another top 6 winger.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If Jost starts to break out, I don’t think Joe would trade him. Maybe he acquires a wing to take Bura’s spot in that case.

Don’t think the Preds would trade us Granlund even if they weren’t competing. Would like Kreider but know it’s very unlikely he re-signs here, so Joe probably wouldn’t give up that much for him. I think Toffoli however, is a very likely candidate. Won’t cost too much in assets and we could make it conditional on him re-signing.

The other reason I think it would be Jost traded is because they don't have many other valuable pieces that they can give up and stay competative. They'd have to trade someone of value, and despite everyone saying he sucks, I guarantee you some GM's who's team doesn't play such a high tempo off the rush game, would have interest in him.

Compher's a good player, but he hasn't exactly done much so far this season either, and if they're bringing in a higher end top 6 winger, they'd still need Compher as the #3C until Bowers shows he's ready. Bowers lack of finishing skills right now push that at least a year down the road, if not more IMO.

So if the goal is to load up this year, Jost seems like the logical candidate either way to me. He still has that 10th overall prestige and even if he hasn't lived up to it, that still gives the team trading for him a way of selling a trade to fans which is always important.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
funny thing is for the last three seasons I think Sakic's underestimated his roster or at least been surprised by their progress. This year he's got more defenseman than roster spots. Had to send Timmins down to make room for Cole.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
funny thing is for the last three seasons I think Sakic's underestimated his roster or at least been surprised by their progress. This year he's got more defenseman than roster spots. Had to send Timmins down to make room for Cole.

I think Timmins is going down partly to make room for Cole and another because he just looked a little out of place at this level. I think a good stretch in the A will do wonders for him, he just needs to play a lot of minutes right now considering he’s missed 18 months.

Reactions: Gatorbait19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad