Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion | give me Hall your players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Look I didn’t expect Jost to turn into super Mario, but I diss expect a serviceable 3c. He has been anything but. We cannot allow Belly to continue playing above his level and depend on him being our 3c.
That'd be a big mistake but I'm pretty sure that they are going to roll with that. They went in the playoffs last year with Soda sitting on the wrong chair because he had a good season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know we’d all like it this to come to fruition, but you’re seriously overlooking the assets needed go to acquire Zucker, JPG and Murray. You’ll need to basically gut our prospect pool and picks for those 3 guys. Think at least 2 firsts + possibly Newhook and other good/decent prospects.

...not if Joe convinces Dorion that Jost will go all Duclair for him...

Reactions: Pokecheque

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
That'd be a big mistake but I'm pretty sure that they are going to roll with that. They went in the playoffs last year with Soda sitting on the wrong chair because he had a good season.
I hope that the days of “just let the kids get experience” are through. We’re a legitimate cup contender this year, and i don’t believe Joe is scared and/or passive enough to not make some sort of deal that would improve upon one of our big weaknesses.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If Sakic knew how terrible Jost and Compher would be do you guys think Soderberg would still be here? Or was his playoff performance the final straw for the blind man?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think he saw the trade coming at all.
giphy.gif

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Jost? Sure, he's trash.

But JTC? I really dont get your obsessional hate towards him. He could be a little better but he's a fine 3rd liner. He just is.

Hopefully Compher learns to consistently play at Nichushkin and Calvert's level. And I heard the same complaint about Compher as Jost. He just is.

It's the same difference between last year and this year.

Last year - we're good enough
This year - let's be better

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Jost? Sure, he's trash.

But JTC? I really dont get your obsessional hate towards him. He could be a little better but he's a fine 3rd liner. He just is.
I more so mean because of the 3C position. In Sakic’s first interview after the Kadri trade he mentioned Mack-Naz-JTC-Bellemare is his centre depth. JTC very clearly should never play another shift at centre again.

I think JTC is a fine 3rd line winger. I don’t like him as much as everyone else here. I think his defensive game is putrid. But I think he can chip in as a good offensive third line winger. My issue with him are the false myths about the other intangibles people say he brings.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I more so mean because of the 3C position. In Sakic’s first interview after the Kadri trade he mentioned Mack-Naz-JTC-Bellemare is his centre depth. JTC very clearly should never play another shift at centre again.

I think JTC is a fine 3rd line winger. I don’t like him as much as everyone else here. I think his defensive game is putrid. But I think he can chip in as a good offensive third line winger. My issue with him are the false myths about the other intangibles people say he brings.

I was looking at the following sites comparing Burakovsky - who gets so much hate, compared to Compher - who doesn't

Salary/Term?
Burakovsky -https://www.capfriendly.com/players/andre-burakovsky
Compher -https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jt-compher

Stats?
Burakovsky -https://www.nhl.com/player/andre-burakovsky-8477444
Compher -https://www.nhl.com/player/j-t-compher-8477456

Who plays on more lines? In other words, who's more versatile?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I was looking at the following sites comparing Burakovsky - who gets so much hate, compared to Compher - who doesn't

Who plays on more lines? In other words, who's more versatile?

Burkie:
burakan95

Compher:

comphj.95

Burkie has been pretty much tied to Kadri and Donsoki while some spending time with MacKinnon. Compher has been tied to Jost while splitting Nieto and Kadri. Burkie has 17 ES points, Compher has 15. Burkie has 12 primary 5v5 points (11g 1a) and Compher has 10 (4g 6a). Burkie has 7 PP points compared to Compher's 2. Compher has 3 SH points. Burkie averages 45 seconds more PP time and has gotten more first unit time. Compher plays on the PK averaging over 2 minutes a game. Burkie averages 35 seconds more ES time.

I'd say the hate is pretty equal. The Compher hate brigade is pretty real. You see it on twitter and here quite a bit. The Burkie hate has always been there since he arrived, but I'd say it eased when he was producing.

Reactions: flyfysher

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I just dont get the Compher hate at all.

He's a 3rd liner and is doing pretty much everything you'd expect of a 3rd liner. I also completely disagree about him being bad defensively, I think he is quite good defensively and especially on the PK. He creates offense on the penalty kill better than anyone else on the team and that's what it's all about.

I get the Burakovsky hate because he is terrible defensively. I just appreciate what he brings offensively enough that it offsets his defensive shortcomings. Though as a 2nd liner the expectations are higher and he does need to start going again soon.

But I dont get it for JTC. He's a 3rd liner on pace for 30+ 5 on 5 points and 45+ points in general while being attached to the useless Jost basically all season long. He has been fine if not good in his role.

Reactions: Richard88

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I also like Compher and don't get the hate. He was absolutely clutch when it mattered last season and I don't doubt he'll be the same these playoffs

Eh...based on what I've read/seen he really doesn't move the needle enough to be worth the bother.

Frankly, if the need is for a 2nd or 3rd pairing RHD with offensive skill they should be a little more ambitious. Colin Miller for some weird reason went from good depth defenseman to healthy scratch this year. If Botterill is just gonna continue to waffle on Ristolainen I say go in there and get him out of that situation.

I could also get on board with either of those options

Ristolainen could be a good buy-low option but two more years at $5.4 aren't amazing

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think Pierce hit the Compher explanation right on the head aside from the defensive praise which I flat out disagree with but that’s simply a matter of opinion.

He’s a good third line winger. I get my back up when people call him things that I think he isn’t such as a centre or good defensively.

I have no issues with JTC being a third line winger for us. He’s a good one.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Burkie:
burakan95

Compher:

comphj.95

Burkie has been pretty much tied to Kadri and Donsoki while some spending time with MacKinnon. Compher has been tied to Jost while splitting Nieto and Kadri. Burkie has 17 ES points, Compher has 15. Burkie has 12 primary 5v5 points (11g 1a) and Compher has 10 (4g 6a). Burkie has 7 PP points compared to Compher's 2. Compher has 3 SH points. Burkie averages 45 seconds more PP time and has gotten more first unit time. Compher plays on the PK averaging over 2 minutes a game. Burkie averages 35 seconds more ES time.

I'd say the hate is pretty equal. The Compher hate brigade is pretty real. You see it on twitter and here quite a bit. The Burkie hate has always been there since he arrived, but I'd say it eased when he was producing.

Didn't know there was much Compher hate but I'm not a Twitter guy. I'd always thought there was far more Jost hate than Compher. I'm for getting JGP and seeing how Compher does but there's the point of relinquishing too much in terms of prospects and picks.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Seems feasible. Interesting, but does it work capewise, now and in the future?

That's a little unclear because we don't know what JPG would cost to extend, what's happening with Zads/Graves & whether Kadri will need to be re-signed after his current deal...but it should be workable through the foreseeable future; provided we don't overpay another Ian Cole.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Pierce hit the Compher explanation right on the head aside from the defensive praise which I flat out disagree with but that’s simply a matter of opinion.

He’s a good third line winger. I get my back up when people call him things that I think he isn’t such as a centre or good defensively.

I have no issues with JTC being a third line winger for us. He’s a good one.
Earlier today ;)
If Sakic knew how terrible Jost and Compher would be do you guys think Soderberg would still be here? Or was his playoff performance the final straw for the blind man?

Just giving you a hard time. I simply think Compher is getting hate because people expected him to get better and he didn't. He's the same player he was last year, and inconsistent player you can play a variety of role and all forward positions, but really should be slotted at a 3rd line wing. But because he can play around the ice and injuries happen, he's forced to play out of position. Next to a legit #3C and allowed to settle in, I think you'd have a solid 45+ point pace RW who may get injured for 15-20 games a year, but bring speed, offense, and role versatility to the lineup. Coaches love those sorts of players and he'd be an elite 3rd line wing in that case (most 3rd line wings are more around 30 points and 45 is 2nd line level production).

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I get the Burakovsky hate because he is terrible defensively. I just appreciate what he brings offensively enough that it offsets his defensive shortcomings. Though as a 2nd liner the expectations are higher and he does need to start going again soon.

You get what you pay for don't you? Y'all hate Burakovsky so much, replace him and pay for it. That's really the crux of it. Like Hall? LOL.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Earlier today ;)

Just giving you a hard time. I simply think Compher is getting hate because people expected him to get better and he didn't. He's the same player he was last year, and inconsistent player you can play a variety of role and all forward positions, but really should be slotted at a 3rd line wing. But because he can play around the ice and injuries happen, he's forced to play out of position. Next to a legit #3C and allowed to settle in, I think you'd have a solid 45+ point pace RW who may get injured for 15-20 games a year, but bring speed, offense, and role versatility to the lineup. Coaches love those sorts of players and he'd be an elite 3rd line wing in that case (most 3rd line wings are more around 30 points and 45 is 2nd line level production).

So your expectations are higher for Compher if he is line mates with JGP then? Because that's what I'd expect.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You get what you pay for don't you? Y'all hate Burakovsky so much, replace him and pay for it. That's really the crux of it. Like Hall? LOL.

This is exactly why some of us complained about his acquisition. We were perfectly happy to pay a higher price for a sure solution & wished that Joe had used his ammo on that bigger move...though it didn't need to be someone as good as Hall; he's multiple steps up from Bura.

Edit:
1 step up would be a reliable-Bura caliber guy, 2 steps would be a competent 1st liner, 3 a higher-end 1st liner, 4 would be a star & 5 tiers up we reach the Hall's of the world.

Just a 1 or 2 steps up from Bura would've left me content.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Earlier today ;)

I already responded to that. Sakic called JTC our 3C. He was his intention to play there. He has looked awful when played there.

I was simply asking would Sakic had kept Soderberg if he knew we’d have a glaring hole at 3C.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I already responded to that. Sakic called JTC our 3C. He was his intention to play there. He has looked awful when played there.

I was simply asking would Sakic had kept Soderberg if he knew we’d have a glaring hole at 3C.

I'm just giving you crap, you've been one of the harder ones on Compher... So just poking the bear for fun, no ill intent.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad