Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread XI (Apparently 19-20 Will Never End)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Add Krug, then trade Byram to Anaheim in a package for Gibson and Rakell.

Landeskog ----- Mackinnon ----- Rantanen
Rakell ------------- Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Nichuskin ------- Compher* ----- Donskoi
Calvert ---------- Bellemare ------ Kaut
O'Connor

Krug ---- Makar
Girard -- Johnson
Graves -- Timmins

Gibson
Grubauer/Francouz

Not sure how that would work cap-wise but I'm sure we can massage contracts for depth pieces and/or make a trade or two to fit things in. Also, the asterisk on Compher denotes that we could acquire a 3C rental at the deadline to put us over the top.
Tell me that this team doesn't walk the cup in 2021... with enough capspace to also add a 3C at the deadline...

upload_2020-9-27_22-15-47.png

upload_2020-9-27_22-16-3.png

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I’d think trading for good players on Girard type contracts is more along the lines of what they’d want.

If we sign Krug, he’d be making 7ish? We’d be paying Girard 5 million on the left side. If Byram and/or Newhook explode, you have to wonder if we can even afford them? That might be true even without Krug. Byram’s value is extremely high now.
If we sign Krug then it probably makes sense to dangle Byram for 1-2 elite additions. Anaheim would be a prime hunting ground, with Rakell and Gibson the optimal targets in this case.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If we sign Krug then it probably makes sense to dangle Byram

I want to believe that if it's true that we are after Krug it's because we have a trade in the works for Byram. That's the only way it somewhat makes sense. But even then, it makes more sense to keep ELC Byram than ~8M Krug so I don't f***ing know.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Say we sign Krug and trade Byram for someone else...who could that be? Keep in mind that we no longer have the cap room for a top player like Laine or Gaudreau because of Krug.

Yeah the whole Krug thing makes zero sense.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Krug's a good player but not what the Avs need. No thank you.

Brodie on a short-team deal would be a good option though if his market isn't strong. He's nowhere near as bad as some people here say he is.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Add Krug, then trade Byram to Anaheim in a package for Gibson and Rakell.

Landeskog ----- Mackinnon ----- Rantanen
Rakell ------------- Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Nichuskin ------- Compher* ----- Donskoi
Calvert ---------- Bellemare ------ Kaut
O'Connor

Krug ---- Makar
Girard -- Johnson
Graves -- Timmins

Gibson
Grubauer/Francouz

Not sure how that would work cap-wise but I'm sure we can massage contracts for depth pieces and/or make a trade or two to fit things in. Also, the asterisk on Compher denotes that we could acquire a 3C rental at the deadline to put us over the top.

Gibson is locked up through 2027. This isn’t a horrible idea. I think it would be a bigger trade though since Grubauer would likely be going the other way.

We’d still likely need at least one stay at home defenseman, preferably with some size/strength.

Reactions: Richard88

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Hamonic played 17:12 per night for the Flames at even-strength this year, the second-most of anyone on the Flames (only behind Noah Hanifin’s 17:13). He played some of the toughest minutes on the team, with his 54.09% defensive-zone face-off percentage the highest of any Flames defenseman. That’s a hard role to fill effectively.

Wonder if he'd accept a short term contract....I'm not a big fan but that's the kind 3rd pairing RHD/PKer we could have used in the playoffs.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I'll post this again....

Byrum + Annunen + 24th OA + Gru + Zads + Jost + 2021 1st to Anaheim for Lindholm, Gibson, and Getzlaf ($4M retained)

JTC + Cole to Ottawa for 2nd round pick

Bura - 5 years - $5.25M per
Nuke - 1 year - $2.5M
Graves - 3 years - $2.75M per
LOC - 2 years - $750k per
DeMelo 3 years- $2.75M per

Leaves you around $3M to fill out the roster with 3 more players, and after next year leaves you with just over $20.5M to sign Landy, Nuke, and Makar (assuming Getzlaf, Calvert, and PEB aren't resigned)

Nuke/Naz/Bura
Dong/Getz/Kaut
Cal/PEB/LOC

Lindy/Makar
G/EJ
Graves/DeMelo

Gibson
Frank

Win Cup.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hamonic played 17:12 per night for the Flames at even-strength this year, the second-most of anyone on the Flames (only behind Noah Hanifin’s 17:13). He played some of the toughest minutes on the team, with his 54.09% defensive-zone face-off percentage the highest of any Flames defenseman. That’s a hard role to fill effectively.

Wonder if he'd accept a short term contract....I'm not a big fan but that's the kind 3rd pairing RHD/PKer we could have used in the playoffs.

Stay away. I've watched enough Flames games to know that Brodie makes mistakes but he can skate and move the puck. Hamonic makes mistakes and can't move the puck. He's the classic hard nosed defensive defenseman at this point in his career. He's Ian Cole.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Say we sign Krug and trade Byram for someone else...who could that be? Keep in mind that we no longer have the cap room for a top player like Laine or Gaudreau because of Krug.

I’d think they’d want someone with a good contract that has term. Schieffele/Ehlers/Gibson/Nylander are examples of people who would be involved?

Maybe something with Byram and Newhook to Florida for Barkov/Ekblad?

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Stay away. I've watched enough Flames games to know that Brodie makes mistakes but he can skate and move the puck. Hamonic makes mistakes and can't move the puck. He's the classic hard nosed defensive defenseman at this point in his career. He's Ian Cole.

He’s not Ian Cole unless his first pass is routinely to no one in particular. It’s hard to imagine anyone worse in this regard than Ian Cole.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
It doesn't seem like there's a spot for Krug on the left side of the defense, but he's definitely better than most of the guys on the Avalanche's blue line, so I can fathom the rumor.

Even if Colorado acquires him, I'd be surprised if he signs here. My guess is Sakic would offer a three year deal, which would coincide both with MacKinnon's current deal and Byram's ELC expiring.

But you have to imagine Krug will be looking for the biggest, longest contract he can get as a 29-year-old UFA. I still have my money on him ending up in his hometown Detroit.

Reactions: Avs_19

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
It doesn't seem like there's a spot for Krug on the left side of the defense, but he's definitely better than most of the guys on the Avalanche's blue line, so I can fathom the rumor.

Even if Colorado acquires him, I'd be surprised if he signs here. My guess is Sakic would offer a three year deal, which would coincide both with MacKinnon's current deal and Byram's ELC expiring.

But you have to imagine Krug will be looking for the biggest, longest contract he can get as a 29-year-old UFA. I still have my money on him ending up in his hometown Detroit.

The biggest takeaway is that the Avs are probably open to trading Byram. The more you think about it, the more it makes sense.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Shit i'd rather they give up real assets for Ekblad if he's actually available. Then hire a new special teams staff and get a 3c stopgap at the deadline since Bowers most likely isnt ready yet.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The biggest takeaway is that the Avs are probably open to trading Byram. The more you think about it, the more it makes sense.

I don't believe anything about this rumor infers the Avalanche will trade Byram this off-season. I think there's a lot of middle between the Avs being interested in Krug and them being open to trading Byram.

Signing Krug - who will turn 30 before Byram turns 20 - to a short term deal isn't going to impact the Avalanche's long term plans for Byram.

Sakic said in an interview a few weeks ago that he saw last off-season as a bit of an overhaul and sees this off-season as adding around the edges, which makes sense based on the club's performance this year.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I don't believe anything about this rumor infers the Avalanche will trade Byram this off-season. I think there's a lot of middle between the Avs being interested in Krug and them being open to trading Byram.

Signing Krug - who will turn 30 before Byram turns 20 - to a short term deal isn't going to impact the Avalanche's long term plans for Byram.

Sakic said in an interview a few weeks ago that he saw last off-season as a bit of an overhaul and sees this off-season as adding around the edges, which makes sense based on the club's performance this year.

Krug has been quoted saying it’s time for him to cash in.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Gibson hopefully. Or as part of a deal for somebody like Huberdeau? Those are the only types of deals I’d approve if we’re moving Bo.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don’t believe it’ll be here, even if the Avalanche trade for his negotiating rights.

What Krug said about short term deal/hometown discount:

“I’m very opposed to that. I’ve bet on myself and I’ve taken shorter term deals and less amount of money my whole career now,” Krug said in his end of the year availability last week.

"This is my time in terms of my value at its peak and I have the ability and I’m in a position now where I need to make the most of it. I’m very opposed to something like that. I’ve done it long enough now. That’s the situation I’m facing.”

Sure doesn't sound like someone Sakic would go after :laugh:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I would support a Krug move. He's 29 so a bit old, but puts up big points, would help in all areas, partner for Makar. Veteran presence.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
What Krug said about short term deal/hometown discount:

“I’m very opposed to that. I’ve bet on myself and I’ve taken shorter term deals and less amount of money my whole career now,” Krug said in his end of the year availability last week.

"This is my time in terms of my value at its peak and I have the ability and I’m in a position now where I need to make the most of it. I’m very opposed to something like that. I’ve done it long enough now. That’s the situation I’m facing.”

Right out of the horses mouth as to why I don’t think he’ll sign here - I don’t believe the Avalanche will offer a 5+ year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad