Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread XI (Apparently 19-20 Will Never End)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sakic has never traded top NHL prospects in his career so far. He should rather make an offer sheet instead of giving up an NHL defenseman that could be even better then Makar.

Offer sheet Erik Cernak, Dman, 6"3 a 6M or so offer so that we only loose next years 1st, 2nd ad 3rd rounder.

I'm not saying Sakic should or will trade Byram, but things are much different now in regards to that, than they used to be.

Forever the Avs were "building" and needed to keep all the high end talent in their prospect pool. Now the Avs have a legit Cup contender full of young players, so they don't need to keep al their prospects. They're looking to win right now not build.

Also, he wasn't a prospect the caliber of Byram, but Sakic did trade his former 1st round pick Bleackley a year and a half after drafting him, in a deadline deal designed to give them an extra piece for a Cup run.

I think Sakic would much prefer to keep Byram for his cheap ELC, but if he wants to upgrade the team, and isn't sure if Byram will be ready for the NHL next year, I don't think a big trade is off the table either.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Gibson is locked up through 2027. This isn’t a horrible idea. I think it would be a bigger trade though since Grubauer would likely be going the other way.

We’d still likely need at least one stay at home defenseman, preferably with some size/strength.
For both parties it makes sense to include Annunen in the deal.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If Sakic did this it would be his first time trading up in the draft. The Avs just don't normally operate this way. In fact I can't remember when, if ever, they've traded up in the draft before Joe was GM.
Nobody trades up much in the draft anyway. So it's not just Sakic. It's not like the NFL.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nobody trades up much in the draft anyway. So it's not just Sakic. It's not like the NFL.

We see multiple teams trade up in the draft every year though and it's never the Avs. They're much less likely to do it than other teams because they never do.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
We see multiple teams trade up in the draft every year though and it's never the Avs. They're much less likely to do it than other teams because they never do.
Not in the 1st round. I went through the drafts since Sakic became GM and it happened like 5 times.

Sakic did try to trade up for Rantanen, but ended up getting him anyway.

Reactions: hughdreamz

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
What about our beloved Tylor Hall?

Unless he is on a short term, puck run contract....no. :popcorn:
I still have visions of Paul Karyia (w/Selanne) in my head...excitement...then the utter disbelief. The Avs played at The Ranch in exhibition that season. That was the highlight for me...then the crash to earth. I had thought I had caught an early glimpse of a dominating, pre-ordained cup season. I don't know why I view Hall that way....like Kariya.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad