2019 - 2020 St. Louis Blues - Defending the Cup - Part 2: The Depth from Within

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Parayko is a beast. The national media won’t give him credit though unless he scores on every slap shot he takes.

He impacts the game in so many ways. It’s hilarious how much faster he is than almost everyone and just picks their pocket easily.

He’s not disappointing at all.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Parayko is a beast. The national media won’t give him credit though unless he scores on every slap shot he takes.

He impacts the game in so many ways. It’s hilarious how much faster he is than almost everyone and just picks their pocket easily.

He’s not disappointing at all.
I think its what people see he can be, but doesn't reach that level. Some have unrealistic expectations. Last years playoffs, when he was on the national stage, he excelled beyond expectations. I dont think that article is wrong, but it's missing alot of context. Context that Blues fans know.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think its what people see he can be, but doesn't reach that level. Some have unrealistic expectations. Last years playoffs, when he was on the national stage, he excelled beyond expectations. I dont think that artical is wrong, but it's missing alot of context. Context that Blues fans know.
Well relative to expectations I do think he has been a bit disappointing this year. But it’s early and there is a lot of time to turn it around. He started off slowly last year as well. I don’t really care as long as he turns it on down the stretch.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I think its what people see he can be, but doesn't reach that level. Some have unrealistic expectations. Last years playoffs, when he was on the national stage, he excelled beyond expectations. I dont think that artical is wrong, but it's missing alot of context. Context that Blues fans know.

I mean...Parayko isn't expected to put up points. Anything he does is a bonus in my eyes. But analytics like these are why you have to take all of them with a grain of salt. He's still been fantastic defensively, but the goals aren't going in for his line-mates recently. If his line gets scored on, it's seldom his fault...yet, analytics make it look like he's getting caved in, which is a silly take-away for anyone who actually watches the games and understands the circumstances. Maybe if the Blues had an NHL-caliber right-winger on the roster and weren't dressing street free-agents at forward the 'analytics' highlighting some potential-correlation between one of their best players wouldn't look so glaringly limited.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think people expected Parayko to be more productive offensively, but he's been better defensively than I expected. IMO, he's better defensively than Petro is, and that's not a knock on Petro.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I mean...Parayko isn't expected to put up points. Anything he does is a bonus in my eyes. But analytics like these are why you have to take all of them with a grain of salt. He's still been fantastic defensively, but the goals aren't going in for his line-mates recently. If his line gets scored on, it's seldom his fault...yet, analytics make it look like he's getting caved in, which is a silly take-away for anyone who actually watches the games and understands the circumstances. Maybe if the Blues had an NHL-caliber right-winger on the roster and weren't dressing street free-agents at forward the 'analytics' highlighting some potential-correlation between one of their best players wouldn't look so glaringly limited.
He is I would think we could agree spending too much time in own zone this year. What these stats don’t show us is whether it is his fault. Nobody is better one on one defender in the league than him, but we in general are getting hemmed in zone too much. And since he plays against top competition would make sense he bears brunt of it statistically. I’m not worried about him but season is nearing midpoint and would be nice if we could figure out effective pairings.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I really don't know what the stat posted on the last page is supposed to be measuring or how it was calculated and it doesn't make sense to me either, but just because that particular stat doesn't make sense doesn't mean you throw out all analytics.

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
Man am I going crazy here?? People talking bad about a 3rd round pick who's a top 2 defender and that he's not reaching expectations?? Hahahaha man I can't say people who talk like this know anything about hockey, honestly

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Man am I going crazy here?? People talking bad about a 3rd round pick who's a top 2 defender and that he's not reaching expectations?? Hahahaha man I can't say people who talk like this know anything about hockey, honestly
No, the eye test leads people to believe he's capable of alot more

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Holy overreaction Batman!

Nobody is saying that he isn’t great player. Advanced stats show he is having rough year , particularly relative to his past play. Not like anyone advocating to deal him.

Reactions: Dbrownss

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I always think his offensive ceiling has been a little overrated. He can do a few special things offensively that few defenders can do, like driving to the net and keep ins. But IMO he's a little static when the team is set up in the offensive zone, hesitates on shooting, just okay vision and passing, doesn't move enough. I just don't think the elite instincts are there, he reminds me more of Erik Johnson offensively than Alex Pietrangelo.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Lets trade Parayko for pick(s). Then let Pietro walk and run #1 for Faulk

Code:
Dunn - Faulk
Jbo - Bortuzzo
Gunnar - Reinke

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I always think his offensive ceiling has been a little overrated. He can do a few special things offensively that few defenders can do, like driving to the net and keep ins. But IMO he's a little static when the team is set up in the offensive zone, hesitates on shooting, just okay vision and passing, doesn't move enough. I just don't think the elite instincts are there, he reminds me more of Erik Johnson offensively than Alex Pietrangelo.
I agree with this. His slap shot is impressive in velocity, but slow release and not accurate enough to be the weapon we dreamed it would be.

His ability to skate the puck up the ice is his biggest offensive weapon, and he has good enough puck skills to make a good pass or shoot and convert those rushes into scoring chances often enough.

The Blues’ defense improved a lot when they let Parayko focus on defending and giving Pietro more offensive opportunities.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Parayko's slap shot is maddening. It's hard to understand how a coach hasn't been able to refine it. Damn thing is an upside down trebuchet

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Parayko's slap shot is maddening. It's hard to understand how a coach hasn't been able to refine it. Damn thing is an upside down trebuchet
I actually wish he would start firing wristers more. He still gets more velocity on a wrister than most players, but there is less time for the goalie to square up or defenders to block it. Slap shots are too easy to defend, it's slower to get off generally from further out, and everyone knows it's coming from him.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

If we're talking about letting Pietrangelo walk and letting Parayko replace him, we need him to not be a negative in the offensive end of the ice.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If we're talking about letting Pietrangelo walk and letting Parayko replace him, we need him to not be a negative in the offensive end of the ice.
I don't think anyone in the organization would expect to "replace" Petro with Parayko to mean having Parayko do the things Petro does on the ice. If Petro walks, Faulk will takeover the vast majority of Petro's offensive-situation usage and you'll see Parayko's minutes tick up a bit to cover some of Petro's defensive-situation minutes. If the 'plan' to replace Petro if he walks is for one of our D to just become a 45-55 point guy while still being awesome defensively, then it is a horrible plan.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I actually wish he would start firing wristers more. He still gets more velocity on a wrister than most players, but there is less time for the goalie to square up or defenders to block it. Slap shots are too easy to defend, it's slower to get off generally from further out, and everyone knows it's coming from him.
I do agree but if you watch some of the prominent big shot guys, they are able to get the shot off quick. Mainly they have already committed to the shot no matter what. Parayko shoots so hard that even if its blocked....the guy blocking it, isnt going the other way. He's usually flopping around on the ice in pain. Also he seems to need his pass to be slow. I'm not at practices so idk how much they work on it. He could set up in Ovi's office. With a diamond set up, it would mitigate the puck going the other way with 1 guy up top. Just always feels there is some untapped potential there

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think we could see Sundqvist hit another level even. It's amazing how he went from nothing to one of our better heart and soul utility players.

Him, Barbashev, Bouwmeester, and Perron to an extent have had turnarounds that have been fun to watch the past 2 seasons.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Steen is back for tomorrow night's game. Who sits? Brouwer? Kyrou? DLR? Mac? My hope would be DLR or Brouwer, but my guess would be Kyrou.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Can't see Kyrou being scratched even with Steen coming back with the way he's playing right now. Berube has been quite complimentary of him in interviews, and he wasn't afraid to play him in the 3rd period last night while protecting a lead. I would scratch Brouwer, with the next option being MacEachern. I think DLR has looked great as the 4th line center and would keep him there while we elevate Barbashev/Sundqvist.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Can't see Kyrou being scratched even with Steen coming back with the way he's playing right now. Berube has been quite complimentary of him in interviews, and he wasn't afraid to play him in the 3rd period last night while protecting a lead. I would scratch Brouwer, with the next option being MacEachern. I think DLR has looked great as the 4th line center and would keep him there while we elevate Barbashev/Sundqvist.
I agree.

Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Perron-ROR-Bozak
Barbashev-Thomas-Sunny
Steen-DLR-MacMac

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Mac should stay in. Even ahead of DLR. The guy has 5 goals already playing strictly 4th line mins and he’s also very fast and physical. We’d be crazy to take him out.

I think Brouwer comes out and then DLR should be out once Sanford is back.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad