2019 - 2020 St. Louis Blues - Defending the Cup - Part 2: The Depth from Within

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
So 3-5 years of being a really good team and then we witness a cliff dive or some insane retooling?

This may end up being a bit of a Red Wing story. They got old and stayed old for a while. Maybe the Bruins route is something we should aspire to?

But, we won a Cup in my lifetime, so I am cool with going all-in now...even if it isn’t the strategy I would employ.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
So 3-5 years of being a really good team and then we witness a cliff dive or some insane retooling?

This may end up being a bit of a Red Wing story. They got old and stayed old for a while. Maybe the Bruins route is something we should aspire to?

But, we won a Cup in my lifetime, so I am cool with going all-in now...even if it isn’t the strategy I would employ.
I suppose it’s all in what you want. Personally I’m fine with going this route. The window is open and probably will be for three or four more years. And who knows if it will ever be more open for us. I’d rather go for it again, but maybe I’m just being greedy.

We win another cup and I would imagine it’d be easier to stomach a re-build at the end.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Our prospect pool isn't good enough that we have any other real options. We have maybe 2 top 6 forwards in that group now and defense is just as thin. We might as well try and keep this going as long as we can, because it's going to need a rebuild either way.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If we have any hope of re-signing Petro, we're going to have to move out a lot of salary and the cap is going to have to jump a few million. It should be easy enough to move Bozac and Allen, but I don't see how we could move Steen even if he did waive his NTC.

At some point, it may be better to let Petro unless he takes an extremely team-friendly contract, which I doubt he would.
We currently have $7.72 mil in space with 17 guys on the roster for next season. Moving just Bozak and Allen would give us $17 mil in space with 15 guys on the roster. The smallest cap jump year-to-year under this CBA has been $1.6 mil. Let's round down and assume the cap only jumps $1.5 mil. That gives us $18.5 mil for Petro, Dunn, and 6 more fill roster spots (backup goalie, #7 D man and #11-14 forwards). Let's further assume that either Blais or Fabbri breaks out enough to earn a $2 mil contract. That brings us to $16.5 mil. Husso as the backup gets us to about $15.7 mil and some combo of Kyrou/Kostin/MacMac/Poganski/Blais/Fabbri on sub-$1 mil deals to fill the remaining 3 forward spots gets us to about $13 mil. One of Walman/Reinke/Mikkola as the #7 D brings us to a shade over $12 mil for Petro and Dunn. We would have to do a 1 year bridge for Dunn, but he doesn't have arbitration rights and we would be able to pay him fair value the next summer once some more comes off the books.

That's all "worst case scenario" predictions from a cap perspective and you can fit everyone, including a fair market deal for Petro. The cap is likely to increase by $2+ mil (like it has in all but 1 year under this CBA) and I'm not sold that Fabbri or Blais is given a $2 mil deal. So we may be able to get some term on Dunn even if we are only able to move 2 of Allen, Bozak and Steen.

With this AAV for Schenn, we can fit fair market value for Petro by simply moving two of Allen, Bozak and Steen. If we move all 3, we can also get some term on Dunn to make things easier 2-3 years down the line. Extending Petro is not about finding a big discount to fit him under the cap. It is about finding a number both sides think is fair. I'm as confident as ever that Petro signs an extension.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

You mean the Bruins team who locked themselves into Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, and Chara on lengthy deals that were fair AAV at the time of signing and took the players from their late 20s into their mid/late-30s?

Chara: 11.64% of the cap at the time of signing (2010) and expired when he was 41
Krejci: 10.51% of the cap at the time of signing (2014) and will expire when he is 34 (he would turn 35 during the playoffs in the last year)
Bergeron: 10.69% of the cap at the time of signing (2013) and will expire when he is 36
Marchand: 8.39% of the cap at the time of signing (2016) and will expire when he is 36

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Too much term, but Schenn is really good so I'm fine with it.

Edit: lol wrong thread

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
You mean the Bruins team who locked themselves into Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, and Chara on lengthy deals that were fair AAV at the time of signing and took the players from their late 20s into their mid/late-30s?

Chara: 11.64% of the cap at the time of signing (2010) and expired when he was 41
Krejci: 10.51% of the cap at the time of signing (2014) and will expire when he is 34 (he would turn 35 during the playoffs in the last year)
Bergeron: 10.69% of the cap at the time of signing (2013) and will expire when he is 36
Marchand: 8.39% of the cap at the time of signing (2016) and will expire when he is 36
Right. They have an old group of core players (who have aged relatively well), but have developed enough prospects (Pasternak, McAvoy, etc) to augment them. It’s kept them going. Luckily the fall off wasn’t big with their older core. They also moved or moved on from mid level players when needed (Lucic for example). I would much rather follow that model and hope for a little luck than take the Detroit route. We will need to move out the mid level guys at some point (Steen, Bozak, Allen, JBo (not mid level in the playoffs, but probably will be sometime soon), and Faulk/Schenn (at some point 3+ years?).

The Red Wings through bad money contracts to meh players on top of their core players, while using assets to acquire blah players. They also hedged bets on Kronwall being good enough to shoulder the #1 job. If our players decline too early in their contracts is how I can envision being similar.

Reactions: A Real Barn Burner

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Our prospect pool isn't good enough that we have any other real options. We have maybe 2 top 6 forwards in that group now and defense is just as thin. We might as well try and keep this going as long as we can, because it's going to need a rebuild either way.
I think you could strategically retool, but a rebuild looks like the better option now. It might not read that way in the future though. If you draft well and Thomas and Kyrou become good enough, you never know.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

It is a bit confounding, but I’m happy with the Cup win and now we need to get three more and f*** the Hawks in the ass.

Reactions: Zamadoo

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
What’s the word on Blais? Is he ok?

I’ve checked a couple threads, but could not find any news on him.

Thank you in advance.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Right. They have an old group of core players (who have aged relatively well), but have developed enough prospects (Pasternak, McAvoy, etc) to augment them. It’s kept them going. Luckily the fall off wasn’t big with their older core. They also moved or moved on from mid level players when needed (Lucic for example). I would much rather follow that model and hope for a little luck than take the Detroit route. We will need to move out the mid level guys at some point (Steen, Bozak, Allen, JBo (not mid level in the playoffs, but probably will be sometime soon), and Faulk/Schenn (at some point 3+ years?).

The Red Wings through bad money contracts to meh players on top of their core players, while using assets to acquire blah players. They also hedged bets on Kronwall being good enough to shoulder the #1 job. If our players decline too early in their contracts is how I can envision being similar.
I Guess I don't understand the overall point you are making.

You seem to be arguing that Faulk, Schenn and potentially 8 years to Petro set us up for a cliff fall in 3-5 years and that we should instead aspire to be like Boston. But what were are doing is very, very much in line with the Boston model. Schenn at $6.5 mil AAV is a substantially lesser commitment to our 2nd best, late 20s center than the Bruins made in Krecji. Whatever we give Petro on an 8 year deal will be a lesser commitment than what the Bruins gave Chara. He came in at 11.64% of the cap until he was 40. That would be the equivalent of $9.49 AAV to Petro, but a max term deal takes Petro to 38.

The Bruins model is predicated on these long, big money deals holding their value as players hit their mid-30s. The Bruins model is gambling that these contracts get you a discount AAV in the short term and that the players are good enough into their mid-30s that the window doesn't close. That's the exact gamble the Blues are taking, so I'm not quite sure what you want to see the Blues do here.

I'm legitimately not trying to be sarcastic or feign confusion. I think I'm misunderstanding your overall point and am looking for a bit of clarity.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
What’s the word on Blais? Is he ok?

I’ve checked a couple threads, but could not find any news on him.

Thank you in advance.
Blais was on the ice as normal according to Jim Thomas. Apparently Robert Thomas is day to day though, and Berube wouldn’t say anymore than that.

Reactions: LGB

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
It was my understanding that Thomas was expected to be somewhat limited to start the season anyway and I would imagine this is related to the wrist and not something new.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I Guess I don't understand the overall point you are making.

You seem to be arguing that Faulk, Schenn and potentially 8 years to Petro set us up for a cliff fall in 3-5 years and that we should instead aspire to be like Boston. But what were are doing is very, very much in line with the Boston model. Schenn at $6.5 mil AAV is a substantially lesser commitment to our 2nd best, late 20s center than the Bruins made in Krecji. Whatever we give Petro on an 8 year deal will be a lesser commitment than what the Bruins gave Chara. He came in at 11.64% of the cap until he was 40. That would be the equivalent of $9.49 AAV to Petro, but a max term deal takes Petro to 38.

The Bruins model is predicated on these long, big money deals holding their value as players hit their mid-30s. The Bruins model is gambling that these contracts get you a discount AAV in the short term and that the players are good enough into their mid-30s that the window doesn't close. That's the exact gamble the Blues are taking, so I'm not quite sure what you want to see the Blues do here.

I'm legitimately not trying to be sarcastic or feign confusion. I think I'm misunderstanding your overall point and am looking for a bit of clarity.

I don’t have a specific point. I am not trying to pick a side or win an argument. It’s just an interesting discussion. There are distinct pros and cons to the approach.

More or less, I am saying that we could go the way of Detroit or Boston, possibly somewhere in between or even outside those posts.

We are hedging bets on the short-term and the long-term. In the short, that this team will be able to achieve more great things. A pretty safe bet there. How great? Who knows, but it will be exciting to see. Some of that depends on their peaks and some on their longevity. We can’t know how that plays out, but short-term? It’s probably safe to assume we will enjoy the results, unless our expectations are “the Cup or nothing”.

In the long-term, we are hoping that players are more or less useful throughout most of their contracts. Those odds are not as great. If you take the aggregate of NHL players, the risk is high in the later half of the timeline. Elite players tend to fair better. There are also rare breeds within that group. Chara is a rare physical specimen, as was Jagr. Both brought things outside of their physique as well. Being a multidimensional, elite talent and not heavily relying on things that deteriorate puts those guys in a distinguished class. Even as those guys lose effectiveness, they are still really good. How many of those types do we have?

Vladi is elite, but if his shot goes then his usefulness will fall. Maybe he can be like Ovie and hang on. (In all fairness to the comparison, Ovie is generational.) You can not lose him short-term, but long-term? I am just not sure how confident I am with him up for a contract in 4 years at age 31. I guess we have time to see.

ROR is certainly elite defensively and that seems to age well. He is a good offensive player that doesn’t rely on speed or skills to score. His smarts and work ethic do the heavy lifting. I think he generally ages like Bergeron who plays a similar game. We have four years to figure the approach with him. So punt, like Vladi, I guess.

Schwartz is close to elite. He is strong defensively and a very intelligent offensive talent. But his game does rely on speed. He could make adjustments and wear ok. His small frame might not wear well, but who knows. He has been an absolute critical part of the team like the guys above.

Petro is certainly elite. I think he ages well. He is smart, positions himself well and generally doesn’t rely on things that tend to falloff after 30. He should be a lock.

Paryko is elite defensively and strong offensively. His game is built on his size. Reach, length of stride and shielding using your frame don’t tend to change without really bad injuries.

After that group we still have some pretty good players...

Faulk isn’t a guy I would hedge a bet long-term. He is a talent, but certainly behind the elite tier. He is already fairly slow, his offensive game is largely shot based and his defending is just ok. Defensemen that age well usually seem to be stout defensively. With all that in mind, I think Seattle choosing him is probably Army’s goal.

Schenn is a fine player and has been an important one. He plays a hard game. We know that can take a toll. Seemingly he doesn’t break, so maybe he is an outlier there.

Schenn was probably our 6 most important player on offense in the playoffs. I am not including defensemen in that, just forwards. The reason I bring that up is to segue into a few questions and some following thoughts.

How many long-term contracts can you have ending past a player’s prime? If you want to try to limit that number to manage the long game, how do you want to disperse those contracts? Honestly, in an ideal situation, I would want only my elites to have those contracts. The Seabrook and Backes quality players would concern me a bit. They are a step below. Are guys like Schenn and Faulk in that category? I would have to say yes. That’s why I would bring them up as possible offloads or anchors.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don’t have a specific point. I am not trying to pick a side or win an argument. It’s just an interesting discussion. There are distinct pros and cons to the approach.

More or less, I am saying that we could go the way of Detroit or Boston, possibly somewhere in between or even outside those posts.

We are hedging bets on the short-term and the long-term. In the short, that this team will be able to achieve more great things. A pretty safe bet there. How great? Who knows, but it will be exciting to see. Some of that depends on their peaks and some on their longevity. We can’t know how that plays out, but short-term? It’s probably safe to assume we will enjoy the results, unless our expectations are “the Cup or nothing”.

In the long-term, we are hoping that players are more or less useful throughout most of their contracts. Those odds are not as great. If you take the aggregate of NHL players, the risk is high in the later half of the timeline. Elite players tend to fair better. There are also rare breeds within that group. Chara is a rare physical specimen, as was Jagr. Both brought things outside of their physique as well. Being a multidimensional, elite talent and not heavily relying on things that deteriorate puts those guys in a distinguished class. Even as those guys lose effectiveness, they are still really good. How many of those types do we have?

Vladi is elite, but if his shot goes then his usefulness will fall. Maybe he can be like Ovie and hang on. (In all fairness to the comparison, Ovie is generational.) You can not lose him short-term, but long-term? I am just not sure how confident I am with him up for a contract in 4 years at age 31. I guess we have time to see.

ROR is certainly elite defensively and that seems to age well. He is a good offensive player that doesn’t rely on speed or skills to score. His smarts and work ethic do the heavy lifting. I think he generally ages like Bergeron who plays a similar game. We have four years to figure the approach with him. So punt, like Vladi, I guess.

Schwartz is close to elite. He is strong defensively and a very intelligent offensive talent. But his game does rely on speed. He could make adjustments and wear ok. His small frame might not wear well, but who knows. He has been an absolute critical part of the team like the guys above.

Petro is certainly elite. I think he ages well. He is smart, positions himself well and generally doesn’t rely on things that tend to falloff after 30. He should be a lock.

Paryko is elite defensively and strong offensively. His game is built on his size. Reach, length of stride and shielding using your frame don’t tend to change without really bad injuries.

Faulk isn’t a guy I would hedge a bet long-term. He is a talent, but certainly behind the elite tier. He is already fairly slow, his offensive game is largely shot based and his defending is just ok. Defensemen that age well usually seem to be stout defensively. With all that in mind, I think Seattle choosing him is probably Army’s goal.

Schenn is a fine player and has been an important one. He plays a hard game. We know that can take a toll. Seemingly he doesn’t break, so maybe he is an outlier there.

Schenn was probably our 6 most important player on offense in the playoffs. I am not including defensemen in that, just forwards. The reason I bring that up is to segue into a few questions and some following thoughts.

How many long-term contracts can you have ending past a player’s prime? If you want to try to limit that number to manage the long game, how do you want to disperse those contracts? Honestly, in an ideal situation, I would want only my elites to have those contracts. The Seabrook and Backes quality players would concern me a bit. They are a step below. Are guys like Schenn and Faulk in that category? I would have to say yes. That’s why I would bring them up as possible offloads or anchors.

Gotcha. I thought you were saying this contract made us more likely to be one than the other. My mistake.

I don't think Tarasenko is here after his contract expires. With him and ROR hitting UFA in the same summer, I think the team will have to choose and that is an easy choice in favor of ROR for me. I love 91, but unless he develops another skill to a borderline-elite level, I don't think he will be worth the money he will command at 31 years old. And that is not my reaction to the last couple weeks. I've been thinking that for a while now. Plenty of time for that to change, but that has been my gut feeling looking at capfriendly all summer.

As for "how many can you have" I think that we are still in good shape. I agree that we will likely push Seattle towards Faulk in 2 years, but even if Seattle doesn't take a substantial money off our books, I think we're in good shape. While Schenn and Faulk aren't in that top tier, neither is their salary. Their NTCs loosen up and they will be in a lower tier of "dead money" deals teams are looking to shed. They are structured the right way to be moved if/when they become trouble and even modest cap growth means that they will be like dealing with today's $5 mil anchor by the time we get to that point.

Petro is a no brainer to me and I would commit to Schwartz with term if he plays this season like he did in the playoffs (or at least like his usual 55-65 point self). I'd open the vault for Parayko, likely seek to move Perron after the 3rd year of his deal and then deal with the young guys accordingly.

I think if we get to 2023 with Petro, Parayko, Schenn, Faulk, Schwartz and 2-3 younger guys locked in on some term, we are in decent shape. I'd prefer for Faulk to not be part of that group, but I think it works even if he is and then you make a decision on ROR and start trying to move a big contract or two over the next couple years as the situation dictates.

Reactions: Celtic Note

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Well stated. I particularly like what you had to say about Faulk. I was beginning to think I was the only one here that didn't like his extension. His lack of speed is a concern going forward, and I am concerned about his defensive game. I think he will quickly become an expensive 3rd pairing PP specialist.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Well stated. I particularly like what you had to say about Faulk. I was beginning to think I was the only one here that didn't like his extension. His lack of speed is a concern going forward, and I am concerned about his defensive game. I think he will quickly become an expensive 3rd pairing PP specialist.

Faulk might not live up to his contract, but he's not, say, Shatty. He doesn't have the playmaking vision, but he's a lot more engaged in all zones. The only reason he'd quickly become a 3rd pairing PP specialist is because the Blues have Pietro and Parayko, not because of his actual ability and impact. They'll very likely figure it out, because he's definitely a higher impact player than that. Barring injury, he's not on a quick downward slide, he's just 27.

Reactions: OSA

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Can someone explain what Armstrong means with this quote? I’m trying to understand the logic, but I don’t get it:

“These players are 26, 27, 28, 29. They have a number of years left," Armstrong said.
"When you look at expansion, expansion usually adds a year or two to good players.”

Full quote for context (after he said the above): “We just had one expansion, we're having another one in a couple years. I know the players are hoping and I know the league is hoping the salary cap continues to rise. There's a big television deal coming up. I'm hoping that in four, five, six years, your salary cap has gone up significantly so the AAV of these contracts seem to come down.”

I still don’t understand what he means by expansion adding 1-2 years to good players.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Can someone explain what Armstrong means with this quote? I’m trying to understand the logic, but I don’t get it:

“These players are 26, 27, 28, 29. They have a number of years left," Armstrong said.
"When you look at expansion, expansion usually adds a year or two to good players.”

Full quote for context (after he said the above): “We just had one expansion, we're having another one in a couple years. I know the players are hoping and I know the league is hoping the salary cap continues to rise. There's a big television deal coming up. I'm hoping that in four, five, six years, your salary cap has gone up significantly so the AAV of these contracts seem to come down.”

I still don’t understand what he means by expansion adding 1-2 years to good players.
I think he is saying that adding a team dilutes the pool of talent but increases the demand for that pool. Vegas, for example, took players that were considered a cut below on their respective teams and put them into top 6/4 rolls. Those teams then had to backfill those 30 players by promoting players up a line or pairing. That’s extra job security for some older guys, but also opportunity for some younger ones.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
That makes sense - thanks fellas.

Edit: the explanation theoretically makes sense, but I don’t really buy it in reality. I think DA is grasping a bit to justify signing guys into their mid-30’s. Oh well.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Does he mean that the effects of an expansion draft usually end up lengthening contracts by a couple years on good players? I'm not sure.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
That makes sense - thanks fellas.

Edit: the explanation theoretically makes sense, but I don’t really buy it in reality. I think DA is grasping a bit to justify signing guys into their mid-30’s. Oh well.
I buy it, but only to a certain extent and probably not to the extent that Army is suggesting.

A few thoughts: Backes today isn’t more valuable after expansion. He really doesn’t bring a lot of value these days regardless of his salary/cap. But, Stastny certainly seems to be. Overall, I think you have to maintain a relatively good level of play for Army’s statement to be true. An expansion team can probably absorb overpaid players if they still produce. There isn’t a lot of opportunity for them to acquire talent if they don’t and they have to float above the cap floor.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not even convinced we are going to have to have a major rebuild just yet. If we keep drafting the way we are, we could be competitive for a long time. Right now we are in a position where we can keep our 1sts and stock the cupboard back up.

Schenn and Faulk right now are projected to be the only 2 big contracts we have in their mid-30s. It's not much different than what we currently have Steen at and what Bouwmeester was at just a year ago.

All I'm saying is, this can be managed so I'm not worried at all as we currently stand. I think Schenn and Faulk will give us good seasons at least until they're about 33. If they fall off the last 2 years, then whatever.

But yes hopefully we still do win another Cup in the next 5 years while we have a great shot at it.

Reactions: rumrokh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad