2019 - 2020 St. Louis Blues - Defending the Cup - Part 2: The Depth from Within

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I see noway possible last years team was not the best team in the last decade+. Our center depth alone was on a completely different level than it has been for years. Our defense has been outstanding since Parayko made his debut but not solely because of him, just adding him to the mix with Petro and Jbo really redefined how strong it is.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I see noway possible last years team was not the best team in the last decade+. Our center depth alone was on a completely different level than it has been for years. Our defense has been outstanding since Parayko made his debut but not solely because of him, just adding him to the mix with Petro and Jbo really redefined how strong it is.
I agree with you. Even ignoring the end result, that was the deepest and most talented team we’ve had in the last 15+ years.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis

I slightly disagree with the bolded, Parayko did kinda solely change everything, MOSTLY because when he became a true #1 defender (IMO) it allowed everyone else on the defense to get pushed down to the correct position, Jaybo was no longer good enough to be the second best Dman on a squad but he was good enough to be our #3, everyone other then Petro got pushed down into their correct spot after Parayko came into the mix

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
With the inconsistency of Sanford and Fabbri, why not bring up Kostin. Kostin did almost everything possible to earn a spot out of camp and the 3rd line is struggling to say the least. Maybe Sanford can become allergic to hockey sticks for 2 weeks.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
With the inconsistency of Sanford and Fabbri, why not bring up Kostin. Kostin did almost everything possible to earn a spot out of camp and the 3rd line is struggling to say the least. Maybe Sanford can become allergic to hockey sticks for 2 weeks.
Not yet but it will happen eventually. Sanford sucks and I'm done with him, but I think they'll give Fabbri a bit longer to turn it around before they completely pull the plug on him.

But time is ticking. Kostin has 3 pts in 4 games so far, so if he keeps that pace I could see him getting called up once November hits.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I actually think Fabbri has looked halfway decent and I expect him to start potting some points soon.
I agree. Its frustrating that he hasn't dented the scoresheet, but he is back to close to full speed and using it to be a pest in all three zones. I liked the idea someone mentioned in another thread of putting him with Bozak and Tarasenko and putting Thomas on RW with Schenn and Schwartz when he's healthy.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I agree. Its frustrating that he hasn't dented the scoresheet, but he is back to close to full speed and using it to be a pest in all three zones. I liked the idea someone mentioned in another thread of putting him with Bozak and Tarasenko and putting Thomas on RW with Schenn and Schwartz when he's healthy.

Yep that was me, and I agree with this. I’d prefer that or maybe 15-90-91 and 9-21-57. Gotta keep Blais and Perron together.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
We're 6 games into the season and the Blues are currently neck and neck with the Rangers for worst team in the league by xG share.

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 3.36.25 PM.png

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I can't say that I'm surprised by that xG share data. We've gone from being a 4 line team to being a 2 line team on offense and our attention to defensive structure has been lacking from forwards and defensemen alike.

That said, this recent funk over the last 3 games looks strikingly similar to early last season, and Berube figured out how to get us out of neutral then so there is no reason to believe he can't do it again.

In the mean time, I feel like there is an opportunity to make some tweaks that could help us down the road, one of which I am about to suggest will probably attract some major flak.

1. When Thomas is healthy, send him to San Antonio for some conditioning to make sure that when he rejoins the NHL lineup he is hungry, confident and ready to go. He's 20 now so we can do that, you know.

2. When you send Thomas down, bring up Kostin for a cup of coffee. Let him earn an NHL paycheck for a week or two and see if you can get some of the preseason performance out of him in games that count against full NHL squads. Even if he struggles, he'll have a better idea of what to work on.

3. When you bring up Kostin, shuffle the forward lines a bit to try to get three lines that can score. Put Kostin with Schenn and Schwartz and move Tarasenko with Bozak and Fabbri.

4. If Kyrou is healthy after a week or two and Kostin isn't getting traction, send Kostin down and bring Kyrou up for a few games. Let's see what he can do when healthy, now that he's had a season of really strong AHL play under his belt and after adding some size to his frame in the offseason.

5. Eventually you bring Thomas up, and at that time you (hopefully) have some difficult roster decisions to make. I could see them sending MacMac down and carrying Fabbri and Sanford as the extra forwards with Thomas and one of Kostin or Kyrou in the everyday lineup. At that point, maybe there is a deal to be made with one of Fabbri or Sanford for a pick or for a prospect in an area of greater need, or perhaps the experiment made us realize that neither Kostin nor Kyrou is ready for a full time NHL assignment so you send Kyrou down and continue the season with the opening night roster.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Jaden Schwartz has not been good this year. Not talking about lack of points, but just his overall play. Has been careless with puck and hasn't been creating opportunities like he usually does. His poor play is even more striking because Schenn has been great so far and JS is dragging the line down.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I can't say that I'm surprised by that xG share data. We've gone from being a 4 line team to being a 2 line team on offense and our attention to defensive structure has been lacking from forwards and defensemen alike.

That said, this recent funk over the last 3 games looks strikingly similar to early last season, and Berube figured out how to get us out of neutral then so there is no reason to believe he can't do it again.

In the mean time, I feel like there is an opportunity to make some tweaks that could help us down the road, one of which I am about to suggest will probably attract some major flak.

1. When Thomas is healthy, send him to San Antonio for some conditioning to make sure that when he rejoins the NHL lineup he is hungry, confident and ready to go. He's 20 now so we can do that, you know.

2. When you send Thomas down, bring up Kostin for a cup of coffee. Let him earn an NHL paycheck for a week or two and see if you can get some of the preseason performance out of him in games that count against full NHL squads. Even if he struggles, he'll have a better idea of what to work on.

3. When you bring up Kostin, shuffle the forward lines a bit to try to get three lines that can score. Put Kostin with Schenn and Schwartz and move Tarasenko with Bozak and Fabbri.

4. If Kyrou is healthy after a week or two and Kostin isn't getting traction, send Kostin down and bring Kyrou up for a few games. Let's see what he can do when healthy, now that he's had a season of really strong AHL play under his belt and after adding some size to his frame in the offseason.

5. Eventually you bring Thomas up, and at that time you (hopefully) have some difficult roster decisions to make. I could see them sending MacMac down and carrying Fabbri and Sanford as the extra forwards with Thomas and one of Kostin or Kyrou in the everyday lineup. At that point, maybe there is a deal to be made with one of Fabbri or Sanford for a pick or for a prospect in an area of greater need, or perhaps the experiment made us realize that neither Kostin nor Kyrou is ready for a full time NHL assignment so you send Kyrou down and continue the season with the opening night roster.
I doubt Thomas gets a conditioning stint unless he's out super long term. He's still been practicing/skating some so I don't think he'll be out all that much longer. And he's already played a preseason game and 1 regular season game. So he can't be that rusty. And even if he is a bit, who cares. A rusty Thomas is a better player than Sanford, Fabbri and Mac combined I'd bet. We need to let him heal to 100%, but once he is, he needs to go immediately back onto that 3rd line to get it going.

I hope Kostin replaces Sanford within the next month. Sanford just doesn't have it, and I am giving up on him officially. He turns 25 soon and has no consistency. Still doesn't use his size enough and he has no chance of replacing Maroon. The drive just isn't there at all. Right now I think we do miss Maroon a bit. We look flat and lack energy. We could use someone to play heavy and mix it up a bit. Kostin I think could be a good addition to the lineup, and I don't care what happens with Sanford. I would not be upset nor surprised to see us waive him. We did this with Jaskin, Paajarvi, Schmaltz etc when they were all this age and we don't miss any of them. Sanford is absolutely part of that group - a guy that will never reach his potential.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Not yet but it will happen eventually. Sanford sucks and I'm done with him, but I think they'll give Fabbri a bit longer to turn it around before they completely pull the plug on him.

But time is ticking. Kostin has 3 pts in 4 games so far, so if he keeps that pace I could see him getting called up once November hits.
I’ve been watching SA games so far, I’m thrilled with kostins game right now. I made a prediction to my buddy that Kostin gets called up in November or December and doesn’t get sent back down

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
sanford is only going to be successful in a purely offensive role

hes likely the best stickhandler on the team and one of the better passers

trying to get anything else out of him, not gonna work. hes clumsy and lazy. he needs to be played to his strengths or not played at all

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
sanford is only going to be successful in a purely offensive role

trying to get anything else out of him, not gonna work. hes clumsy and lazy. he needs to be played to his strengths or not played at all
Yeah...that doesn't sound like a player that can fit in this system. If your name is not Tarasenko, I'm not sure you can get by with that skill set. And even Vlad is asked to buy in to a defensive role the best he can.

I just see no way Sanford sticks on this team with Kostin chomping at the bit, Kyrou very close to being ready, and Blais being successful.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Just watched the White House ceremony and it was absolutely surreal! I'm gonna have to watch it again but man was that entertaining to watch.

First the guys have to just stand there in the background while Trump goes through his political talk. Petro looked a bit awkward while Perron and others were goofing around. Then it seemed the players weren't expecting to get called up to the podium by the President. The only thing missing was some Russian influence, Vladi needed to get some recognition! Tom Stillman seemed nervous as hell. Trump handshakes all around and so many off the cuff remarks. Incredible!

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Just watched the White House ceremony and it was absolutely surreal! I'm gonna have to watch it again but man was that entertaining to watch.

First the guys have to just stand there in the background while Trump goes through his political talk. Petro looked a bit awkward while Perron and others were goofing around. Then it seemed the players weren't expecting to get called up to the podium by the President. The only thing missing was some Russian influence, Vladi needed to get some recognition! Tom Stillman seemed nervous as hell. Trump handshakes all around and so many off the cuff remarks. Incredible!
Trump. Grotesque as usual.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah...that doesn't sound like a player that can fit in this system. If your name is not Tarasenko, I'm not sure you can get by with that skill set. And even Vlad is asked to buy in to a defensive role the best he can.

I just see no way Sanford sticks on this team with Kostin chomping at the bit, Kyrou very close to being ready, and Blais being successful.

i dont disagree, id like the idea of sanford as an extra in case of injuries in the top 6/for powerplay but its not viable to be paying him for that

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Jaden Schwartz has not been good this year. Not talking about lack of points, but just his overall play. Has been careless with puck and hasn't been creating opportunities like he usually does. His poor play is even more striking because Schenn has been great so far and JS is dragging the line down.

I think JS has been trying to pick up VT's slack and over doing it. What is more surprising than anything, is that BS's season has started so well despite his linemates issues.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
No. Just, no.
O'Reilly is the best stickhandler on the team. Perron is a VERY close 2nd, with Petro in 3rd and Thomas 4th. Sanford doesn't even come close to those. As far as passing goes, thats even more laughable. 90, 57, 91 ( despite whatever the f*** is going on with him so far this year), 18, 17, 10, 27, 72 are better. Thats 8 players that are easily above him in passing and 4 in stickhandling.

Reactions: BlueDream

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
No. Just, no.
O'Reilly is the best stickhandler on the team. Perron is a VERY close 2nd, with Petro in 3rd and Thomas 4th. Sanford doesn't even come close to those. As far as passing goes, thats even more laughable. 90, 57, 91 ( despite whatever the **** is going on with him so far this year), 18, 17, 10, 27, 72 are better. Thats 8 players that are easily above him in passing and 4 in stickhandling.

those guys have better combinations of skills, purely stickhandling perron is the only one i’d give a maybe too.

it may be more difficult to judge when players lack other skills

a good example is rob schremp (obv way better than sanford) in the nhl. hard to really realize how sick his hands were when the rest of his skillset is trash

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't want to see Thomas in the AHL unless he is out for longer than we expect and truly just needs a game or 2 to shake off rust in a legitimate conditioning stint. From a gameplay standpoint he has done nothing to tell me he doesn't belong in the NHL and I don't like allowing an injury to cost an otherwise NHL lock a roster spot AND money out of his pocket. He's living with the Tkachuks, he's settling into adulthood in St. Louis and he looked damn good in a 3rd line role at the end of last season. From an organizational standpoint (and a players in the locker room standpoint) an injury shouldn't ship him to the AHL.

With that said, I'm all for shopping Sanford around for a bit. If we can get a mid-late round pick for him then I'm all for that. But if there just isn't a market (and none develops), then I want to waive him in a month or so. I'm not in a rush on Kostin, so I'm completely on board with using the next month to try and get some type of asset out of Sanford (along with getting a larger sample size out of Blais, Fabbri and MacMac). I'm not sure that a market materializes for Sanford, but the potential of getting a 4th-7th round pick AND building a larger sample size on the other guys towards the end of the lineup is worth waiting unless the underlying numbers catch up to us and the wheels fall off.

There are things to be concerned about with the team play so far, but the first few weeks of the season are weird and are all about banking points and evaluating the question marks on your roster. We've banked 8 points in 6 games (109 point pace) and have played a relatively tough schedule. Now is the time for patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->