Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not sure the EK65 trade is a good barometer...Dorion had no leverage and is overall a much worse GM than Chevy. I guess you could say since Trouba wants out, Chevy has less leverage, but Trouba is also an RFA, so that's not a huge drop in leverage. And in the deal of Vlasic + Merkley + something else for Marner, I don't see how the something else is anything short of Hertl or Meier lol. Marner is already a top line winger, so I doubt SJ could get him for anything other than Meier + Labanc + Merkley.
They aren't getting Meier in a package. I just don't see it. Meier has the problem of being worth more to the Sharks than in trade. Sharks would view meier + braun and a couple picks as the most they would want to part with. I get that to the league Meier isn't worth as much as Marner but to the Sharks and their roster construction he's almost priceless. Also the Sharks aren't giving up a 1st line winger and a 1st pair defenseman for a guy who at that point the leafs can't afford and won't resign. The leafs will need multiple pieces back that fit under the cap and make them better. And they NEED D-men. 2 roster players that can contribute and prospects and picks. In the end I think it's Nylander that draws the short straw and honestly he probably needs the change of scenery more than anyone. Leafs will likely need to entice a team to take on his $7mil per. This is the type of deal DW could take advantage of. But this will mean the leafs are f***ed from here on out with their salary distribution... Matthews, Marner & Tavares all sucking down more than $30mil. That's a team with first round exit written all over it for the next decade.

EDIT: I thought Marner played Center...? Could have sworn I saw him playing center... If he's a winger there's no way he's worth those assets for the Sharks. He's great and all but in another year or 2 it may be a toss up if he's worth more than Meier when you look at how valuable they are in the playoffs. I'm always partial to the power forwards though so I admit my preference skews my perception.

No one is giving Toronto that package regardless of what someone seems his value to be. How does giving up Vlasic and Meier/Hertl make the Sharks better? Good GMs aren’t in the business of actively making their team significantly worse just to get 1 good player. Marner is good, but he’s not good enough to part with a bonafide top pairing D-Man, top prospect, and another young first line player that’s already a 30+ goal scorer. That’s absolutely asinine.

This isn’t NHL19. Trades have to be mutually beneficial and gutting your NHL roster and prospect pool for one player doesn’t happen. You’re never going to get full perceived value when you’re trading an elite player because no other team is going to cave to that asking price. You can set the market at whatever you want, but when teams know you can’t afford said player, you become a price taker and the rest of the league sets the market (see EK65 last year where Dallas refused to include Heiskanen) and says this is the final offer from all of us so deal with it and pick your poison.
Exactly. Thru out history these types of players have rarely brought the return that it "seemed" they should have. One of the rare ones that did? Lindros. Whoever made that Deal for Quebec knew exactly what they were doing and was probably glad Lindros wanted out.

Last edited:

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Marleau can only join if he's making what Thornton will be making. Not much. We have new talented players.... If he wants a contract he has to make it work for the team. Don't he got 1 more season with the leafs. I dont care tbh.. he left us.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Marleau can only join if he's making what Thornton will be making. Not much. We have new talented players.... If he wants a contract he has to make it work for the team. Don't he got 1 more season with the leafs. I dont care tbh.. he left us.
Ummmm... Marleau already has a contract. This is a trade situation not a UFA. He's not coming to the Sharks unless Jumbo retires, EK65 signs somewhere else and Pavs signs with another team. That's the only way I see DW bringing Patty home to play his last season here on a team that would likely be a bubble playoff team.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I hope marleau gets forced into being traded to a team like edmonton or gets demoted so bad that he only plays haley minutes and games.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Yah... the fans want him gone already cuz its taking too much cap room. Owell, thats what happens when you pick money.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
im sure they would but they are going to have to thin out their roster to take on that 9mil
It is certainly going to be very tough for Vegas.

Though they have 12F and 6D signed on their roster, they have no cap space left this year. Plus Gusev, Nosek, Malcolm Subban and Karlsson are RFA's. Pirri and Carpenter are UFA's they may want to re-sign.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
It is certainly going to be very tough for Vegas.

Though they have 12F and 6D signed on their roster, they have no cap space left this year. Plus Gusev, Nosek, Malcolm Subban and Karlsson are RFA's. Pirri and Carpenter are UFA's they may want to re-sign.

I like to hear that. With them having that problem and LA hiring TMac all we need now is the Ducks to hire someone to keep them mired in their mediocrity and the Pacific should be easy next year....

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Vegas probably has to trim salary instead of taking more on. Doubt they would go for Subban.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
No one is giving Toronto that package regardless of what someone seems his value to be. How does giving up Vlasic and Meier/Hertl make the Sharks better? Good GMs aren’t in the business of actively making their team significantly worse just to get 1 good player. Marner is good, but he’s not good enough to part with a bonafide top pairing D-Man, top prospect, and another young first line player that’s already a 30+ goal scorer. That’s absolutely asinine.

This isn’t NHL19. Trades have to be mutually beneficial and gutting your NHL roster and prospect pool for one player doesn’t happen. You’re never going to get full perceived value when you’re trading an elite player because no other team is going to cave to that asking price. You can set the market at whatever you want, but when teams know you can’t afford said player, you become a price taker and the rest of the league sets the market (see EK65 last year where Dallas refused to include Heiskanen) and says this is the final offer from all of us so deal with it and pick your poison.

A couple of things I disagree with in this post.

1) The value you assigned the assets in the deal. Meier is a decent top line forward that put up 65 points in a career year. Marner put up those point totals for two years before exploding for 95 points this year, so he is a superstar top line forward. Meier had better possession #s this year but Marner had even better possession #s last year while putting up the same # of points (although Marner did have easier deployment that year). So while Meier is a better possession player, Marner blows him out of the water production-wise. Calling Merkley a top prospect is also generous unless you mean purely San Jose's top prospect, which doesn't mean much...he's high risk, reward (ie good chance of being great 2nd pairing puck mover and PPQB or a bust with both work ethic and character concerns, so we'll see how that plays out). And Vlasic is in no way, shape, or form a bonafide top-pairing D. He's 32 years old, on a pretty much guaranteed albatross contract in a few years, somewhat injury-prone, and coming off 2-3 years of continuous decline until one good playoff run playing alongside Burns, who was amazing. Those shifts where Vlasic was reunited with Braun and struggled really badly indicated that Burns played a huge role in that pairing succeeding. Vlasic was good too, but I don't think that playoff performance erases his age, contract, constant decline the past 3 years, and injury history.

2) Not sure where this idea that Toronto can't sign Marner comes from. They will pay dearly to get Marleau and Zaitsev (lucky that he requested out) off the books, but they can do it, and then they should have no problem signing Marner.

They aren't getting Meier in a package. I just don't see it. Meier has the problem of being worth more to the Sharks than in trade. Sharks would view meier + braun and a couple picks as the most they would want to part with. I get that to the league Meier isn't worth as much as Marner but to the Sharks and their roster construction he's almost priceless. Also the Sharks aren't giving up a 1st line winger and a 1st pair defenseman for a guy who at that point the leafs can't afford and won't resign. The leafs will need multiple pieces back that fit under the cap and make them better. And they NEED D-men. 2 roster players that can contribute and prospects and picks. In the end I think it's Nylander that draws the short straw and honestly he probably needs the change of scenery more than anyone. Leafs will likely need to entice a team to take on his $7mil per. This is the type of deal DW could take advantage of. But this will mean the leafs are ****ed from here on out with their salary distribution... Matthews, Marner & Tavares all sucking down more than $30mil. That's a team with first round exit written all over it for the next decade.

The Meier value to the Sharks argument I understand, but given their performance the past 3 years, I would take Marner any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Your argument about Toronto's needs in the trade is totally valid, and I wasn't the one suggesting that trade. The post I quoted proposed that deal with a + and I said that given the first 2 assets listed (Vlasic + Merkley), the + would have to be Meier. However, I totally agree with your point that there is no reason for Toronto to make that deal given the $$$ coming back with Vlasic's contract.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I think taking on Patty can only be given a though if we lose out on EK65, Duchene or Panarin.
I'm not making a sceret of how I feel about bringing back EK so, any roster moves of note will be made with the assumption EK is walking

Obviously Me wanting to offer up a 6th round pick ( do we have one?) to the NYI for Ross Johnson wouldn't count

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Eh, I don’t really buy into any decisions being made until the Karlsson situation is figured out.
Donskoi is long gone with or without bringing back EK65. Given the stated goal of getting bigger and more physical, Donskoi is the exact opposite of the players that I would expect DW to bring back. He would also basically preclude any upgrades to the top 9 forward group given most assume Pavelski is coming back with Labanc.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Dunno. Dont want to think bout that, DW will keep signing the bargain talent in the meantime. One thing I didn't like bout Marleau (he didn't stand up for teammtes) and he was stubborn about playing LW. He's a better Center. But he aint our problem anymore.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad