Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don’t think I’ve found one person who agrees with me, but I’ve said (and still believe) that getting Zach Kassian would have been a more influential trade deadline acquisition then a guy like Nyquist strictly for the playoffs.

For me it’s a short list of players that can actually strike fear in an opposing team. Reeves, Kassian, and Wilson. Maybe I’m missing some guys, but the list of actual “good” enforcers is minute these days.

Haley certainly isn’t one of them, although I’m fine if he plays with the Barracuda and gets a few games against heavier teams in the regular season next year.

If Goodrow was replaced by Kassian, giving you Karlsson, Gambrell, Kassian - while maybe not an elite 4th line at least they would do a lot more then Goodrow, Karlsson, and Haley ever did.
Backes is probably a pretty good enforcer type at this point in his career. So I guess old power forwards fit the mold if they're willing to go. Like if Lucic wasn't so overpaid, I wouldn't mind sticking him on the 4th line.

Reactions: jarr92

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Eklund is heating a “lot of chatter” about Marleau coming back to SJ so Marleau is going to Montreal.

Only way it could happen, is if Karlsson didn’t resign. Which if that happens, we are in a “refresh” again until we can restock and make another swing. Something like Marleau + Kadri, I think would be worth it under the right circumstances.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Eklund is heating a “lot of chatter” about Marleau coming back to SJ so Marleau is going to Montreal.
What’s Toronto willing to offer with Marleau to entice us to take any of that money back? They don’t have a 1st and a 2nd isn’t enough value imo. Would have to be someone like Kadri for me to be willing to take any of that money back.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Yeah, I don’t see it working.

I guess Kadri and Marleau might, if EK65 doesn’t come back, and then run...

Kane - Hertl - Pavelski
Meier - Couture - Labanc
Sorenson - Kadri - Chechkovich
Marleau - Thornton - Radil

I meaaan... meh? Not even sure that works money-wise.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Its a lot more important to have somebody that answers the bell, than not, nothing to do with winning/losing the fight. Okay.

Also, somebody who rings it. He's good, he pulled out that 4th liner clown Reaves, off the bench! That was awesome.

Oh yes the ensuing penalty kill because of his stupidity was so worth it. Haley sure showed reaves he is not to be messed with.

Thats why reaves continued to go after one of the sharks best goal scorers and then goading him into fighting reaves which potentially hurt him for the rest of the playoffs.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He also says SJ is interested in Bobrosky... would love to hear how he thinks that is even possible. Would someone even take Jones in a trade at his salary?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, I don’t see it working.

I guess Kadri and Marleau might, if EK65 doesn’t come back, and then run...

Kane - Hertl - Pavelski
Meier - Couture - Labanc
Sorenson - Kadri - Chechkovich
Marleau - Thornton - Radil

I meaaan... meh? Not even sure that works money-wise.
Good god no. There is no reality where this team should have Pavs, Jumbo and Marleau in the line up at this stage of their careers. It would be funny to put them together on the 4th line and call them "The Grumpy Old Men" line.

Is Kadri actually effective at hockey or is he just a shit disturber?

Reactions: landshark

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Good god no. There is no reality where this team should have Pavs, Jumbo and Marleau in the line up at this stage of their careers. It would be funny to put them together on the 4th line and call them "The Grumpy Old Men" line.

Is Kadri actually effective at hockey or is he just a **** disturber?

Kadri is a very good 2nd line guy

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Marner added to the TSN trade list (long shot)... Talks about possibly becoming contentious. If it does, Marner to SJ for...? Couture, Braun? Or maybe Vlassic + ? No idea what else makes this work salary and value wise. They probably would want Hertl or Meier is my best guess but realistically the Sharks need to dump braun and probably Couture to make it work salary structure wise. Leafs need defenders more than forwards though.

Trouba also getting traded almost for certain. Hope that the Sharks are at least making calls about him incase EK65 falls thru.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Just say no to Kadri
upload_2019-6-2_15-4-2.png

Reactions: Sandisfan

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Marner added to the TSN trade list (long shot)... Talks about possibly becoming contentious. If it does, Marner to SJ for...? Couture, Braun? Or maybe Vlassic + ? No idea what else makes this work salary and value wise. They probably would want Hertl or Meier is my best guess but realistically the Sharks need to dump braun and probably Couture to make it work salary structure wise. Leafs need defenders more than forwards though.

Trouba also getting traded almost for certain. Hope that the Sharks are at least making calls about him incase EK65 falls thru.

I don't think the Sharks have what it takes to acquire Marner unless they offer something like Hertl/Meier++. Marner is a budding superstar, and he won't come cheap. As for Trouba, that'd be a great pickup for the second pairing if EK65 leaves, but I doubt he'll come cheap. Maybe Labanc + Merkley + Chtwin + Braun would do the trick? Not sure...

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I don't think the Sharks have what it takes to acquire Marner unless they offer something like Hertl/Meier++. Marner is a budding superstar, and he won't come cheap. As for Trouba, that'd be a great pickup for the second pairing if EK65 leaves, but I doubt he'll come cheap. Maybe Labanc + Merkley + Chtwin + Braun would do the trick? Not sure...
That’s way too much for Trouba seeing as he’s a RFA and a new deal for big dollars would still have to be negotiated. Probably one of Labanc + Braun + Prospect (not named Ch Twin/Merkley).

Trouba is a solid #2/3, but that package you proposed is something that would get offered for a young #1 elite D-Man with multiple years of control already locked up.

Reactions: LA Shark

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
That’s way too much for Trouba seeing as he’s a RFA and a new deal for big dollars would still have to be negotiated. Probably one of Labanc + Braun + Prospect (not named Ch Twin/Merkley).

Trouba is a solid #2/3, but that package you proposed is something that would get offered for a young #1 elite D-Man with multiple years of control already locked up.

An unsigned middle-6 winger (still room to improve to get to solid 2nd line winger), a solid bottom-pairing RHD, and a C prospect is enough for a solid #2/#3 unsigned 25-year-old RHD? I personally don't think that's enough. As for the #1 elite D-man with term, I would assume that starts with a re-signed Meier+.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
An unsigned middle-6 winger (still room to improve to get to solid 2nd line winger), a solid bottom-pairing RHD, and a C prospect is enough for a solid #2/#3 unsigned 25-year-old RHD? I personally don't think that's enough. As for the #1 elite D-man with term, I would assume that starts with a re-signed Meier+.
Trouba wants out and Labanc just came off a strong finish. Labanc is way more likely to sign than Trouba I would imagine. It's probably a realistic offer.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Labanc had 55-points. Scoring is up league-wide but that's better than "middle-6" winger.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Trouba wants out and Labanc just came off a strong finish. Labanc is way more likely to sign than Trouba I would imagine. It's probably a realistic offer.

Maybe the "wanting out" part is what makes it more realistic, but otherwise, I don't think that's great value for a 25-year old #2/#3D.

Labanc had 55-points. Scoring is up league-wide but that's better than "middle-6" winger.

Labanc made a lot of progress this year, and he has a high hockey IQ, good hands, and great vision, which makes him a great asset on the PP. However, he was still very up and down in terms of 5-on-5 play. He is very shaky defensively and only started producing when stapled to the 3rd line against weaker competition. I'm curious to hear your thoughts regarding why he's more than a middle-6 winger at this point.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I don’t see a 55 point scoring 23 year old RW, two top prospects, and a solid bottom pairing RHD as fair compensation for a guy like Trouba.

I’d look at it this way: Labanc on the open market fetches a 1st+ while Merkley was a 1st rounder last year and the the Ch twins likely are on par with a 1st round value (Chmelevski for sure and Chekhovich maybe a 2nd or late 1st). Braun can fetch a 2nd or 3rd on the trade market most likely as well. So that proposed deal would be at minimum about 3 1sts and a 3rd for Trouba. That’s insanely too much value.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I think that's way too much for Trouba. That's a better deal than OTT got for EK65. I think Banker is worth a lot right now after the season he had. Him + Braun + Merkley should be enough with maybe a later pick or a lesser prospect. Sharks shouldn't have to give up one of the Chi twins too.

The Marner thing is more pie in the sky but I fully expect it to take something significant IF it were to happen. If Vlassic would waive he would be the ideal one to send that would benefit them. Maybe Vlassic + Merkley + or something along those lines. Or maybe they deal Nylander and we can get on that. This period of time is pretty much where I like to think and read about all the possibilities no matter how far fetched. Some big names that people thought would never be traded have been traded in the past so you just never know... Jumbo, Roy, Pronger, etc, etc... Last off season the posts here were endless about how there was no way we could get EK65.

Last edited:

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I think that's way too much for Trouba. That's a better deal than OTT got for EK65. I think Banker is worth a lot right now after the season he had. Him + Braun + Merkley should be enough with maybe a later pick or a lesser prospect. Sharks shouldn't have to give up one of the Chi twins too.

The Marner thing is more pie in the sky but I fully expect it to take something significant IF it were to happen. If Vlassic would waive he would be the ideal one to send that would benefit them. Maybe Vlassic + Merkley + or something along those lines. Or maybe they deal Nylander and we can get on that. This period of time is pretty much where I like to think and read about all the possibilities no matter how far fetched. Some big names that people thought would never be traded have been traded in the past so you just never know... Jumbo, Roy, Pronger, etc, etc... Last off season the posts here were endless about how there was no way we could get EK65.

I'm not sure the EK65 trade is a good barometer...Dorion had no leverage and is overall a much worse GM than Chevy. I guess you could say since Trouba wants out, Chevy has less leverage, but Trouba is also an RFA, so that's not a huge drop in leverage. And in the deal of Vlasic + Merkley + something else for Marner, I don't see how the something else is anything short of Hertl or Meier lol. Marner is already a top line winger, so I doubt SJ could get him for anything other than Meier + Labanc + Merkley.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
He's unsigned, he's not getting anything close to Meier unless you think there is going to be a bunch of rfa swaps happening

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I'm not sure the EK65 trade is a good barometer...Dorion had no leverage and is overall a much worse GM than Chevy. I guess you could say since Trouba wants out, Chevy has less leverage, but Trouba is also an RFA, so that's not a huge drop in leverage. And in the deal of Vlasic + Merkley + something else for Marner, I don't see how the something else is anything short of Hertl or Meier lol. Marner is already a top line winger, so I doubt SJ could get him for anything other than Meier + Labanc + Merkley.
No one is giving Toronto that package regardless of what someone seems his value to be. How does giving up Vlasic and Meier/Hertl make the Sharks better? Good GMs aren’t in the business of actively making their team significantly worse just to get 1 good player. Marner is good, but he’s not good enough to part with a bonafide top pairing D-Man, top prospect, and another young first line player that’s already a 30+ goal scorer. That’s absolutely asinine.

This isn’t NHL19. Trades have to be mutually beneficial and gutting your NHL roster and prospect pool for one player doesn’t happen. You’re never going to get full perceived value when you’re trading an elite player because no other team is going to cave to that asking price. You can set the market at whatever you want, but when teams know you can’t afford said player, you become a price taker and the rest of the league sets the market (see EK65 last year where Dallas refused to include Heiskanen) and says this is the final offer from all of us so deal with it and pick your poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad