Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
There haven't been many close losses from how it feels. Seems like the guys just completely forget how to play when they lose and they end up getting blown out. But the wins are usually pretty competitive regardless of quality of competition.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This team is just not on the same tier as the top teams. They're missing a top 6 guy and maybe another top 9 guy. The goaltending is garbage for the 2nd straight year. Burns looks old. This is a lost season. No 1st rounder and no chance at a cup. Feels bad man.

It really does suck. I would do that trade again in a heartbeat for Erik but not having a 1st round pick does suck. Losing Pavs, Donskoi, Nyquist automatically gutted our forward depth but there is more to it.

Meier has not played well this year.
Labanc is really not a true top-6 F.
Jones has not shown us that last season was not an aberration.
Burns has got even worse defensively.
None of the prospects expected to step into the top-9 role have shown that they are ready.
Thornton is done.

I don't think adding even a top-6 and/or top-9 F would make us a top-tier team. Our best bet for this season would be to fire PDB soon and light a fire under the players asses. Make the playoffs somehow so we don't miss out on a lottery pick.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
It is really clear this team needs 1 and probably 2 mid-6 forwards. They need to get Goodrow back to the 4th line and Marleau to the 3rd.

Reactions: themelkman

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
There are a lot of issues with this team right now. I honestly am starting to think we might be best off not throwing away assets for any rentals. We need a top 6 RW and someone to replace Thornton (Its sad but Thornton just looks like a charity case currently). Its only 30 games in and he looks done. We are not going to fix all of those holes

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
There are a lot of issues with this team right now. I honestly am starting to think we might be best off not throwing away assets for any rentals. We need a top 6 RW and someone to replace Thornton (Its sad but Thornton just looks like a charity case currently). Its only 30 games in and he looks done. We are not going to fix all of those holes

Totally agree. I think till we replace the coaching there is no point in moving assets anymore. This team should be better with the players currently on the roster.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

I think this is the right outlook. We need not just one, but more realistically 2-3 real pieces. Top-6 winger, 3c that can drive the line, and a goalie that isn’t gonna let in 5 goals a night. That’s just too much for a mid-season add. Especially when we don’t really have much else to trade.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
I thought Thornton has looked good lately. When the team looks bad, he looks really bad but look at him against Carolina.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think getting Galch could be smart for us. He can play RW in the top six and push Marleau and Goods down, and also play center if Jumbo struggles further.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Totally agree. I think till we replace the coaching there is no point in moving assets anymore. This team should be better with the players currently on the roster.

I tend to agree with this. I do think a middle 6 Nyquist type would be nice to have. But, in the meantime, I'm more interested in how much Gambrell can step up and whether a new 4C can emerge (farm or FA).

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think getting Galch could be smart for us. He can play RW in the top six and push Marleau and Goods down, and also play center if Jumbo struggles further.

He does not produce at the level he should for his cap which is 4.9M. I would not be opposed to getting him but our problems are a lot bigger than the addition of Galch would fix.

Plus the other question is what he will cost and how we actually fit him under the cap. I am all in favor of just finishing this season without additions and hopefully fire PDB after this season. Add anyone we can in the off-season, see how the team does with the rookies and the new coach and go from there.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
There haven't been many close losses from how it feels. Seems like the guys just completely forget how to play when they lose and they end up getting blown out. But the wins are usually pretty competitive regardless of quality of competition.

I think part of this is score effect. Let’s be frank: this year’s team’s offense is anemic at best. When we are down, we just don’t have that extra step necessary to overcome a prevent defense. And the more we cheat to try to create those chances, the worse it gets for us. It just leads to a failure cascade. That in turn, makes Jone’s play all the more atrocious. When he gives up those soft goals in the first few minutes of play, like he did tonight, it’s just game over. We have a 0.715 win percentage when scoring first this season - actually higher than last year. But our loses when trailing first is 0.278. That’s a decrease of over 0.1 versus last year. The lowest it’s been in the PDB era. That’s literally 2 wins right now and being in a play-off spot. Once we are behind, especially by 2 goals, it’s over. Once we are down 2 goals, our win percentage is 0.067. Compared to 0.185 last season. Like, that’s it. Jones cost us this game literally in the 1st 10 minutes.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
It really does suck. I would do that trade again in a heartbeat for Erik but not having a 1st round pick does suck. Losing Pavs, Donskoi, Nyquist automatically gutted our forward depth but there is more to it.

Meier has not played well this year.
Labanc is really not a true top-6 F.
Jones has not shown us that last season was not an aberration.
Burns has got even worse defensively.
None of the prospects expected to step into the top-9 role have shown that they are ready.
Thornton is done.

I don't think adding even a top-6 and/or top-9 F would make us a top-tier team. Our best bet for this season would be to fire PDB soon and light a fire under the players asses. Make the playoffs somehow so we don't miss out on a lottery pick.

I don’t know if it can be stressed enough that Timo is not playing well. Signing him was paramount because he was supposed to be at the next step and ready for more. That hasn’t happened. Not to what he should be. Burns is a good point. He’s making grievous mistakes and isn’t providing the offense to compensate.
The rookies are going to need time but the clock is ticking.

There’s still a lot of time to turn it around. Our boys have already done it this season. It’s in them.

Go Sharks!!

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I think Fistfullofbeer has provided the best assessment of this team at this point of the year.

I completely agree that LeBanc hasn’t grown as a player. Same hesitancy to shoot the puck and he still takes lazy penalties. Combined with Meier’s lack of intensity, suddenly this team has three top six forwards.

I will admit that I was wrong about signing Marleau. However, he’s still a 4th line guy to me. His back check is his best asset and that means the puck is going the wrong way.

I would add that the bottom 2 defense is underwhelming. If PDB is moving a rookie into the top 4, then the others are not meeting expectations.

This team needs two top six forwards and I have yet to hear an argument about how the sharks will acquire one. Galy is porous defensively, Kreider likely won’t age well, Toffolio (sp.) is too slow, and I honestly don’t see another somewhat impactful FA.

Dillon for picks makes sense. DW Jr. seems to think the Sharks got two first round grade picks in the last draft, so a 2nd could ease the hit of no first.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I would add that the bottom 2 defense is underwhelming. If PDB is moving a rookie into the top 4, then the others are not meeting expectations.

I don't agree with this. Ferraro's played like a top-4 d-man and deserves to be up there. It's not that the others haven't met expectations (although a couple haven't), it's more that Ferraro has far exceeded them.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I don't agree with this. Ferraro's played like a top-4 d-man and deserves to be up there. It's not that the others haven't met expectations (although a couple haven't), it's more that Ferraro has far exceeded them.

Fair enough, I would argue that the org expected Dillon to become a physical 4, but that he topped out as a 5-6 who needs a Pmd partner to be effective.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Fair enough, I would argue that the org expected Dillon to become a physical 4, but that he topped out as a 5-6 who needs a Pmd partner to be effective.

Honestly the only guy I'm really disappointed with this season is Burns. He just looks disinterested and has basically just resorted to playing like a parody of himself, forgetting how to play defense and just shooting from the point.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I thought Thornton has looked good lately. When the team looks bad, he looks really bad but look at him against Carolina.
Me too. The 3rd line looked like the best line at times over the last 4 or 5 games. This team definitely needs a top 6 player and maybe a goalie but for sure a new system. I guess that means a coach. I don't know how DW lets this continue without change.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
He does not produce at the level he should for his cap which is 4.9M. I would not be opposed to getting him but our problems are a lot bigger than the addition of Galch would fix.

Plus the other question is what he will cost and how we actually fit him under the cap. I am all in favor of just finishing this season without additions and hopefully fire PDB after this season. Add anyone we can in the off-season, see how the team does with the rookies and the new coach and go from there.

I’m too lazy to look it up but I’m pretty sure Galchenyuk is a rental this year. If we do pick up a rental he would be an ideal fit imo just for his ability to play both center and RW. He and Toffoli would be my top targets if we were to get rentals but at this point I definitely agree that the coaching change needs to be made

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Me too. The 3rd line looked like the best line at times over the last 4 or 5 games. This team definitely needs a top 6 player and maybe a goalie but for sure a new system. I guess that means a coach. I don't know how DW lets this continue without change.

Apart from system, they just need a new voice. I know the players like PDB, but I feel like it's made them somewhat complacent.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad