Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
This discussion plays into a huge issue in the NHL, this constant reprise of, “hockey players are the toughest! Hockey players play when other athletes don’t!” That pride turns into expectation — with people playing when they should be mending, or being with their loved ones.

His wife had a c-section. Infants are ****ing hard. Being with her for more than two days while she recovers shouldn’t be a privilege it should be the norm.
I understand what you're saying here, but in all cases such as this, it is the choice of the player and his wife. If he doesn't want to play the team won't make him play, if he wants to play then he'll play. There is no reason to turn this into more than it is. It's a choice.

poppap527

Aug 3, 2006
I’m going to guess you’re not a dad...

Wow, heartless much?

Hey Karlsson your kid is alive, congrats, oh you wanna actually see your kid for a couple days after its been brought into this world, and be there to support your wife before you leave her for roughly half of the next 7 months, nah **** you get to work.

Generally, I'd agree with you, but these guys all know the sacrifices they have made to get into this line of work. A line of work that affords some of them to make a salary of upwards of $11+ Million dollars.

That is also something that needs to be understood when you find a partner, that for the next 15 years, there's probably going to be some very tough times that they can't be there because of work, but after that time, there will be early retirement and many joys that most others can't afford.

Life is a tradeoff and a professional athlete understands that very early on.

Reactions: themelkman

poppap527

Aug 3, 2006
He's probably only playing because it is a home game. If the team were on an east coast trip, I wouldn't blame him for staying behind.

I also agree with this. I doubt he'd jump on a plane to meet the team even in a place like Denver for a game today.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I understand what you're saying here, but in all cases such as this, it is the choice of the player and his wife. If he doesn't want to play the team won't make him play, if he wants to play then he'll play. There is no reason to turn this into more than it is. It's a choice.

oh I don’t fault him for playing — I was responding to posters saying he shouldn’t miss more than one game. The decision is obviously theirs.

Reactions: Lebanezer

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I advise you to stop with your comments. You’re treading into territory that you just don’t comprehend. You’re possibly going to offend the wrong person here. Leave it alone.
I know I comprehend and I agree with JTR. Unless there are complications with his wife or child there really isn’t any reason why EK65 wouldn’t play tonight.

Being there for the birth of your child is a big deal. It’s a significant event in your life, there is the possibility of complications, and even if everything goes smooth your wife needs the support.

The day after the child is born isn’t much different than a week after, or a month after, or a year after. You need to parent. Yes, it’s new, but there are new things throughout your time as a parent. Lots of fathers need to get back to work the day after their child is born. I did for both my kids. I bet most dads do. When my son was born I delayed a business trip so I could be there for the birth, then flew out of town the next day.

I’m not saying new moms don’t need help. They do. My mother flew in and stayed at our house to help my wife both times. An experienced grandma is much better help than a novice father. There is no doubt.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I know I comprehend and I agree with JTR. Unless there are complications with his wife or child there really isn’t any reason why EK65 wouldn’t play tonight.

Being there for the birth of your child is a big deal. It’s a significant event in your life, there is the possibility of complications, and even if everything goes smooth your wife needs the support.

The day after the child is born isn’t much different than a week after, or a month after, or a year after. You need to parent. Yes, it’s new, but there are new things throughout your time as a parent. Lots of fathers need to get back to work the day after their child is born. I did for both my kids. I bet most dads do. When my son was born I delayed a business trip so I could be there for the birth, then flew out of town the next day.

I’m not saying new moms don’t need help. They do. My mother flew in and stayed at our house to help my wife both times. An experienced grandma is much better help than a novice father. There is no doubt.

So to be clear, you think someone SHOULD have to go back to work the next day?

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Sharks are pure class organization from top to bottom.

If he needed 2 weeks they would give it to him.

Its why he signed an he is here today, they support him fully and he knows they need him on the ice.

Its a mutual respect the Sharks never would have to force his hand, he knows he wants to give back as well to the organization that has been warming and welcoming too.

The words dont even need to be said, Karlsson Sharks on same page all the way through

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I'm kind of in the middle. If the Sharks were on a road trip, I'd have no issues with him missing a couple of games. If they are at home, I wouldn't force him to play, but a big part of me would expect him to play. Gamedays like today, he isn't working 9+ hours like the average man is. Skip the morning skate if preferred. Get to a 7:30 game at 6:00, be home at 11:00. Being gone for 5 hours is extremely doable and not unreasonable to ask.

If his daughter was born on October 3rd as reported, his wife is likely still in the hospital anyway. Today would be the absolute earliest the majority of hospitals would discharge her (with many staying up to 4 days post-op).

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDmitriy

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm kind of in the middle. If the Sharks were on a road trip, I'd have no issues with him missing a couple of games. If they are at home, I wouldn't force him to play, but a big part of me would expect him to play. Gamedays like today, he isn't working 9+ hours like the average man is. Skip the morning skate. Get to a 7:30 game at 6:00, be home at 11:00. Being gone for 5 hours is extremely doable and not unreasonable to ask.

If his daughter was born on October 3rd as reported, his wife is likely still in the hospital anyway. Today would be the absolute earliest the majority of hospitals would discharge her (with many staying up to 4 days post-op).

Is that the American SOC? Always heard horror stories of being kicked out after <24 hours.

If there were no complications and she went unmedicated, she could easily go home the next day. Even with an epidural, 2 days is fine. Four days seems a bit much with no C-section or other complications.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Is that the American SOC? Always heard horror stories of being kicked out after <24 hours.

If there were no complications and she went unmedicated, she could easily go home the next day. Even with an epidural, 2 days is fine. Four days seems a bit much with no C-section or other complications.

American healthcare is terrible in general, but that's another story.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

I'm going on the presumption that she had a c-section based on the picture. Wouldn't need a hairnet or mask for a vaginal delivery.
In America for majority of insurances, vaginal deliveries you have 2 nights covered after delivery. C-sections, you have 4-nights after the operation.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm going on the presumption that she had a c-section based on the picture. Wouldn't need a hairnet or mask for a vaginal delivery.
In America for majority of insurances, vaginal deliveries you have 2 nights covered after delivery. C-sections, you have 4-nights after the operation.

Where is this picture?

That's interesting. Here, we base how long a patient should stay based on, you know, the medical need, not on what is covered.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Where is this picture?

That's interesting. Here, we base how long a patient should stay based on, you know, the medical need, not on what is covered.

It is based on medical need. I actually didn't realize today is only the 4th. So going by "medical need" the earliest Melinda should get discharged after a c-section is post-op day 2, so tomorrow.
And for vaginal deliveries, for medical need, hospitals in California do the California newborn screen as well as other tests when the baby turns 24 hours, so it wouldn't be safe to discharge a baby before 24 hours either.

The length is for the patient, not for the hospital. You're not forcing them to stay. They just have the option to stay up to 2 nights or 4 nights depending on the delivery.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

It is based on medical need. I actually didn't realize today is only the 4th. So going by "medical need" the earliest Melinda should get discharged after a c-section is post-op day 2, so tomorrow.
And for vaginal deliveries, for medical need, hospitals in California do the California newborn screen as well as other tests when the baby turns 24 hours, so it wouldn't be safe to discharge a baby before 24 hours either.

The length is for the patient, not for the hospital. You're not forcing them to stay. They just have the option to stay up to 2 nights or 4 nights depending on the delivery.

Lets say the mother has a particularly long labor and gets an infection. They likely would need to stay more than 2 days. Would she be responsible for costs after day 2?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Lets say the mother has a particularly long labor and gets an infection. They likely would need to stay more than 2 days. Would she be responsible for costs after day 2?
The costs all depend on their insurance. If she has to stay she stays, but every procedure is covered at a different rate with a different out of pocket cost, whether that’s a copay or coinsurance. Every hospital, facility, doctor etc. negotiates different contracts covering all costs and reimbursements with each individual insurance company. So you will come across many hospitals, facilities etc. that do not take certain insurances.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento

I know it's a subtle time piece and all but…

lTuc8BD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad