Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It is really tough. But fundamentally, it is part of the job.

It isn't like athletes are being told to get over a negative thing; that they can't work over some sadness or depression. It is just that sometimes, they just can't celebrate as long as most of us can.

On the roster front, it's going to take Vlasic getting traded or a surprise prospect to fix the forward issue.

There are more options than the two you are presenting to fix the forward issue.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Rule of the thumb based on past history is that in the regular season you can miss a game for the delivery, and in the first few weeks you can expect the team to give you slack vis-a-vis practices and travel (player has to play all games, but team will typically let him fly back home as much as he needs to).

In the playoffs, it seems like most players don't want to miss games for any reason, although you still see the slack with practices and travel.

To be clear here, I have zero issue with EK missing game 1 for the birth of his child. I wouldn’t even be mad if he missed game 7 of the Cup Finals to see the birth of his child TBH. But at this point, the child has been born and he should be playing in every game going forward. I would be pretty unhappy if he missed any more games for this.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Super happy for the Karlsson family, I had hoped he was missing game 1 for a happy reason, and I'm glad to see it turned out that way

As for the lineup, if he doesn't play tonight WHYYYYY are Vlasic and Burns still together, Peter?

It's not rocket appliances

4-88
44-72
38-5

Spread what little D depth we have out, we can't have our only 2 reliable known quantities on the same pair

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I think she had a C-section but still all done up

Yeah it definitely looks like the same c-section setup I've been around for twice.

I hate to be that nosey internet sleuth guy, but I'm glad they're all doing well, cuz this was apparently not scheduled and was some degree of an emergency.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Yeah it definitely looks like the same c-section setup I've been around for twice.

I hate to be that nosey internet sleuth guy, but I'm glad they're all doing well, cuz this was apparently not scheduled and was some degree of an emergency.
How do you know it was not scheduled and some degree of an emergency?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I know the players like it, but still pretty suprising that shark fans went to the day after the birth of the child to find out they were expecting.

Some citys it feels like the media knows the day, the hour, how long it took and what kind of music they were playing the night the kid was conceived.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Karl had to fly back an hour before the game started. It may have been scheduled, but happened early.
giphy.gif

Reactions: SactoShark

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I know the players like it, but still pretty suprising that shark fans went to the day after the birth of the child to find out they were expecting.

Some citys it feels like the media knows the day, the hour, how long it took and what kind of music they were playing the night the kid was conceived.

Surprising given we have KurzTMZ too.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
To be clear here, I have zero issue with EK missing game 1 for the birth of his child. I wouldn’t even be mad if he missed game 7 of the Cup Finals to see the birth of his child TBH. But at this point, the child has been born and he should be playing in every game going forward. I would be pretty unhappy if he missed any more games for this.

I’m going to guess you’re not a dad...

Reactions: Dicdonya and jarr92

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Wow, heartless much?

Hey Karlsson your kid is alive, congrats, oh you wanna actually see your kid for a couple days after its been brought into this world, and be there to support your wife before you leave her for roughly half of the next 7 months, nah f*** you get to work.

Reactions: Jargon

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
This discussion plays into a huge issue in the NHL, this constant reprise of, “hockey players are the toughest! Hockey players play when other athletes don’t!” That pride turns into expectation — with people playing when they should be mending, or being with their loved ones.

His wife had a c-section. Infants are f***ing hard. Being with her for more than two days while she recovers shouldn’t be a privilege it should be the norm.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I had a bad feeling that it was going to be more bad news when I saw he was missing for personal reasons. He's had such a rough go last few years.

But so glad I was wrong and it's for such a joyous occasion. And what a perfect way to start his new contract. New beginnings and all.

Think we're gonna see some vintage EK this season.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
He's probably only playing because it is a home game. If the team were on an east coast trip, I wouldn't blame him for staying behind.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hockey players don't really seem to do that. It's more of thing in baseball because they play every single day.

Right. Nyquist for example flew to Detroit last year to see the birth of his daughter and then flew back that same night for a playoff game. Now I’m not asking that much out of a guy in the regular season, but NHL players don’t generally miss games for paternity leave.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Right. Nyquist for example flew to Detroit last year to see the birth of his daughter and then flew back that same night for a playoff game. Now I’m not asking that much out of a guy in the regular season, but NHL players don’t generally miss games for paternity leave.
I advise you to stop with your comments. You’re treading into territory that you just don’t comprehend. You’re possibly going to offend the wrong person here. Leave it alone.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
He's probably only playing because it is a home game. If the team were on an east coast trip, I wouldn't blame him for staying behind.

Yeah Ill be curious to see if he goes to Ana tomorrow. I imagine he will though since its a super fast flight back if he is needed at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad