Line Combos: 2019-2020 Roster Speculation

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
BTW, my last post notwithstanding, one potential problem if they win a playoff round might be overconfidence or overvalued judgement about just where we are as a team, especially with the logic that they had to learn Monty's system, but now that they have, they are pretty good. They were predicted to be a 7th seed, they were a 7th seed. A few things went better than last year (D and Goalies) and a few things went worse (Offense) but you can expect some regression to the mean in all areas.

I see that you guys see that and realize we need to keep building until we are division champs a few years in a row like NSH and WPG, etc. I hope Nill doesn't get fooled by any success. Sometimes playoff success is a bit of a crap shoot and you just have to keep getting better. Even with the upsets, you really want to get in with as good a seed as you can.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
However..

If we win a playoff round or two the hype around this team will be high.

We already have the top goaltending, 1 top 4 piece away from having a elite defense

Could attract that big number 2 C we need ( Duchene?)...

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Letang would not be cheap . I don't think thats a realistic option. Pens will want significant pieces back.

Picks , Prospects + roster players .

Letang together with Malkin and Crosby are the three pieces still left from their very first cup in 2009 . They're not letting that guy go for depth pieces.
I like Letang a lot, but I’m not paying big in trade and salary for a dude who is hurt every season.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I like Letang a lot, but I’m not paying big in trade and salary for a dude who is hurt every season.

I wouldn't either but someone will which for me makes Letang not an option worth seriously exploring.

I also think Letang as #4 defenseman is overkill. If the price is right sure but thats just not neccessary to fill that spot .

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’d be pretty choked if the only thing we did this offseason was re-sign Zucc. We have a glaring hole on left wing. We could sign a UFA to fill that spot or sign Duchene and Hintz can fill that spot.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I’d be pretty choked if the only thing we did this offseason was re-sign Zucc. We have a glaring hole on left wing. We could sign a UFA to fill that spot or sign Duchene and Hintz can fill that spot.
Jason Robertson

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Soon... Call me Jim Nill, but I’d like to see him get a year in the AHL unless he looks amazing in training camp.
If he can skate well enough to play in the NHL, he shouldn’t need a full year in the AHL. Natural goal scorers can make the jump from juniors quicker than anyone else.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah i don't think we need to sign another top6 player if we keep Zucc . Hintz is looking good and if we keep Zucc means that last top 6 spot we can keep open for a prospect to earn. Gurianov , Robertson maybe Mascherin deserve a shot for that and if nobody else steps up Dickinson has been alright enough there.

#4 defenseman is the biggest hole to fill. If thats via UFA or signing a european Free Agent or whatever doesn't matter but right now after the three big guys its patchwork nothing permanent.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBTendy

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I also don’t see why we should re-sign Polak. This teams identity was our defensive strength and our PK. Polak was a key reason for that succcess. Why disrupt something that’s good and let the key player walk?

Sign him but look for a someone to take his spot on the 2nd pair so like that Polak can have a lesser role when it comes to 5 on 5. I really don’t see why some of you want Bayreuther, Cecconi etc over Polak. The lockerroom seems to be tight this year, try to disrupt it as little as possible.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'd have no problem with Polak returning . Just reduce his role to #6/7 like it was meant to be. I'm also not sure if Oleksiak-Polak would be a good idea as third pairing . That really lacks puck movement . Polak has been at his best when he has to play the puck as little as possible and i don't know if that works with Jamie O as partner.

Wish there was more clarity about Johns though if he can return or not ? This uncertainty about his future is probably the worst part. Front office should have more knowledge about his situation i would hope.

I'm also open to Lovejoy returning if Polak doesn't just not both . They both play a similar role.

Last edited:
Reactions: LatvianTwist
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
It was reported somewhere last summer that Polak's original plan when he signed was to play here for one year and then head back home to finish his playing career in the Czech Republic. Plans can change, but it should probably be assumed that he's going to be heading out.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I hope the team signs Zucc and looks at Dzingel as well. I think with those two we've got a solid top 6 locked down in the most economical fashion. Then have Faksa's shutdown line and have some youth injected to play with Dickinson on the 4th line.

On D it would be nice to get Johns back, but I think between the youth and the mainstays we'd be able to piece together a nice D corps.

Benn Seguin Radulov
Dzingel Hintz Zuccarello
Cogliano Faksa Comeau
Dickinson L'Esp Gurianov

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I love when this guy puts out his projected contracts, and he's usually pretty close too.

Lindell: $5,796,784 @ 5 years
Zuccarello: $5,912,695 @ 4 Years

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Some of the names mentioned here:

Panarin: $11,255,493 @ 8 years
Skinner: $9,130,806 @ 8 years
Duchene: $6,902,851 @ 6 years
Gardiner: $6,720,402 @ 7 years
Myers: $6,193,629 @ 7 years

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Slightly bigger than i'd want the contracts to be but thats still in the acceptable range. I do think Esa is getting more than 5 years though which will lower his AAV

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think it’s a safe guess to say Lindell and Zuccarelo would take up roughly 12M (hopefully less) even if we don’t dump Hanzal it should be enough space to add a Duchene type.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We kind of need a 3-5 Million per defenseman though as #4 .

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I love when this guy puts out his projected contracts, and he's usually pretty close too.

Lindell: $5,796,784 @ 5 years
Zuccarello: $5,912,695 @ 4 Years

I think you're mixing up EvolvingWild with Matt Cane- I don't think EW have done something like this before.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
We kind of need a 3-5 Million per defenseman though as #4 .

True, I’m not seeing any UFAs that peek interest unless Stralman/Myers would sign a two year contract, both likely looking for big term though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think you're mixing up EvolvingWild with Matt Cane- I don't think EW have done something like this before.

I am. Thanks for pointing that out. Cane is definitely the one I was thinking of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad