Line Combos: 2019-2020 Roster Speculation

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Regular season has completed, playoffs are in progress, thought it would be cool to start to see what will shape up for next years rosters.

Didn't include every player in the organization:

Forwards:
Tyler Seguin, Jamie Benn, Alexander Radulov, Andrew Cogliano, Valerie Nichushkin, Blake Comeau, Radek Faksa, Tyler Pitlick, Roope Hintz, Justin Dowling, Ty Dellandrea, Denis Gurianov, Jason Robertson, Joel L'Esperance, Martin Hanzal

RFA Forwards:
Mattias Janmark, Brett Ritchie, Jason Dickinson

UFA Forwards:
Jason Spezza, Mats Zuccarello
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Defence:
John Klingber, Jamie Oleksiak, Miro Heiskanen, Ben Gleason, Joel Hanley, Stephen Johns

RFA Defence:
Esa Lindell, Julius Honka, Gavin Bayreuther

UFA Defence:
Ben Lovejoy, Roman Polak, Taylor Fedun
Goaltenders:
Ben Bishop, Anton Khudobin, Jake Oettinger, Colton Point

RFA Goaltenders:
Landon Bow, Philippe Desrosiers

Will be curious to see what happens with some of the RFA players if they will get offers (Ritche/Honka), or if Zuccarello and one of the UFA defence re-signs.

Reactions: Ori

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Well, I assume Gurianov will be in the lineup unless he's traded.

Honka I assume will be traded. Janmark possibly too to make some room and change things up (EX: Gurianov coming in). Ritchie will (hopefully) be let go. Nichushkin may be bought out if we need room, or if he wants to leave.

Dickinson re-signed for something like 2 years, $2m AAV

Lindell will be re-signed but I have no clue how much or for how many years. I'm gonna guess 6 years, $4.5-5m AAV maybe more but hopefully Nill can get him to sign for that much...

Zuccarello's re-signing likely depends on playoff success and his impact in it.

Spezza is gone. Maybe sign another 2C if you can get one, but if not, get Hintz a really good RW and that'll have to do.

XXXX-Seguin-Radulov
Benn-Hintz-XXXX
Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau
Gurianov-Dickinson-Pitlick
Nichushkin (?), L'Esperance

Ideally we give Gurianov a top 6 chance, so I could maybe see them signing 1 top 6 winger and giving him or someone else a shot up there (like what Dickinson is getting this season).

I could see Nill targeting another 3rd line winger but with a little more scoring upside this time that could legitimately play in the top 6 if we are desperate or have some injuries. A Richard Panik or Joonas Donskoi type player. Make Pitlick the healthy scratch, or if needed, Gurianov or someone else.

I expect Robertson to spend the year in the AHL. Also, Hanzal won't be back.

As for the defense,

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-XXXX
Oleksiak-XXXX

Re-sign Polak if he decides to stay to a 1 year deal, but most importantly sign a top 4 dman in free agency or find one to trade for.

Also, I wouldn't mind and wouldn't be surprised if Fedun was re-signed as our 7th dman. No clue what will happen with Bayreuther though, but he could also be our 7th if needed or maybe even our 8th, which I'm sure we will end up having and needing.

So, something like this:
Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-(Top 4 dman)
Oleksiak-Polak/Lovejoy
Fedun

Let Lovejoy sign elsewhere, or let Polak go and sign Lovejoy instead of him. Or, sign someone completely different through free agency.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think Lovejoy is older than Polak, surprisingly. We could sign either or rely on Jamie O, since he has a contract.

No doubt Spezza, Hanzel, Honka and Ritchie are gone.

He won't sign a mid to bottom six forward. That was a result of a market full of high end choices and lower ones. If there is a mid priced top six (and Zuch is the most likely choice) that is what he will do, with JD, RH, DG and the current cast forming a decent fast and offensively potential third line.

If available in his price range, yes, one more first/second paring D to go along with a top six FW wouldn't be terrible in UFA. Two signings (or trades) max, depending on how we do in the PO.

With the playoff rookies being the best players Wed night, hopefully that will convince him to fill out the roster with as much youth as possible.

Dickinson-Seguin-Radulov (Monty Loves this combo)
Benn-Hintz-Zuch or similar UFA, Alternate of Gurianov
Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau
Gurianov-Dickinson-Pitlick
Nichushkin (?), L'Esperance

Ideal if the kids get more production.....
Benn-Seguin-Radulov
Dickinson-Hintz-Zuch/similar UFA, or Gurianov
Cogliano -Faksa-Comeau
Gurianov -Janmark-Pitlick

Nichushkin
(?), L'Esperance

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’m hoping we trade some assets to dump Hanzal’s last year. I’ve suggested Janmark, Honka, and a pick. If no one bites maybe just trade Janmark and Honka for picks.

XXX - Seguin (9.9/8) - Radulov (6.3/3)

Benn (9.5/6) - Hintz (0.9/1) - XXX

Cogliano (3.3/2) - Faksa (2.2/1) - Comeau (2.4/2)

Nichushkin (3.0/1) - Dickinson (~2.0/2) - Gurianov (0.9/1)

XXX - Pitlick (1.0/1)

Lindell (~5.5/7) - Klingberg (4.3/3)

Heiskanen (0.9/2) - XXX

Oleksiak (2.2/2) - Polak (~1.3/1)

Bayreuther (~0.8/1)

Bishop (5.0/4)

Khudobin (2.5/1)

LTIR - Johns (2.4/2)

Cap Hit - 63.8M

Gives us around 20M to play with or more if Johns comes back. Likely don’t want to spend it all because Hintz, Faksa, Gurianov will all need a raise with limited money coming off.

LW/C - Duchene, Skinner, Johansson, Hayes, Burakovski

RW - Zuccarelo, Nyquist, Eberle, Pavelski, Connoly

RD - Don’t like any UFA options besides Karlsson

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Man if Dickinson gets 2mil there's something wrong.

Maybe Edmonton would bite on a Pulj for Honka and Janmark kind of deal. Since that situation for them is deteriorating anyway

Hopefully we get rid of Cogliano, maybe through buyout. 4years at a million isn't so bad., should have never made such a dumb trade to begin with, but Nill is going to Nill.
Hopefully Robertson can make the jump right away to help fix our busted ass top 6, add Duchene, or Skinner or Hayes for a 2nd line, and maybe adding Tyler Myers or Gardiner.

Ideally
Duchene at 7.5mil and Myers or Gardiner @ 5mil which is probably wishful thinking
a Top 6 of
Hintz-Seguin-Radulov
Benn-Duchene-Robertson
would be nice

I'd try to dump Hanzal on Ottawa if he's not likely to play again because they can let insurance pay him and take the cap hit to reach the floor, throw in whatever assets to make that work.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Man if Dickinson gets 2mil there's something wrong.

Maybe Edmonton would bite on a Pulj for Honka and Janmark kind of deal. Since that situation for them is deteriorating anyway

Hopefully we get rid of Cogliano, maybe through buyout. 4years at a million isn't so bad., should have never made such a dumb trade to begin with, but Nill is going to Nill.
Hopefully Robertson can make the jump right away to help fix our busted ass top 6, add Duchene, or Skinner or Hayes for a 2nd line, and maybe adding Tyler Myers or Gardiner.

Ideally
Duchene at 7.5mil and Myers or Gardiner @ 5mil which is probably wishful thinking
a Top 6 of
Hintz-Seguin-Radulov
Benn-Duchene-Robertson
would be nice

I'd try to dump Hanzal on Ottawa if he's not likely to play again because they can let insurance pay him and take the cap hit to reach the floor, throw in whatever assets to make that work.

$2m for Dickinson would be a pretty standard AAV for a guy like him. $2m is nothing.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
When it comes to Zuccarello, I think it's more up to him. I believe they have already started discussions about a possible new contract, Nill really likes him.

But Zucc had to leave some precious assets behind in New York, including his girlfriend and his nice Manhattan apartment. So it wouldn't surprise me if he'll try to sign with a team in the NY area. Probably not the Rangers, but you never know, maybe they want to change some plans to make the King happy again. I see the Devils as a possible destination, I think they would be ready to invest a lot in him, in an effort to reach playoff hockey.

pbatx

Feb 26, 2015
Austin, TX
When it comes to Zuccarello, I think it's more up to him. I believe they have already started discussions about a possible new contract, Nill really likes him.

But Zucc had to leave some precious assets behind in New York, including his girlfriend and his nice Manhattan apartment. So it wouldn't surprise me if he'll try to sign with a team in the NY area. Probably not the Rangers, but you never know, maybe they want to change some plans to make the King happy again. I see the Devils as a possible destination, I think they would be ready to invest a lot in him, in an effort to reach playoff hockey.

I know it's wrong of me, but part of my excitement of being in the playoffs is just to go as far as we can to impress Zuccs to at least consider taking our 6/6.5mil. (and yes, I'd overpay above that) I"m not even ashamed of it.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Speaking of Dickenson, do you all feel he has top six upside? I find it hard to judge his true potential..
Hintz has that spot now. I do like Dickinson though; reminds me of what Eakin looked like a few seasons ago. He’s a solid/affordable two way bottom six fwd who can jump up when possibly needed.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Speaking of Dickenson, do you all feel he has top six upside? I find it hard to judge his true potential..

I've always felt Dickinson has top 6 potential. If he ever leaves the Stars I wouldn't be surprised if he has a Reilly Smith type impact wherever he goes. I'm in the minority though most people hate him for some reason on here :laugh:

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I've always felt Dickinson has top 6 potential. If he ever leaves the Stars I wouldn't be surprised if he has a Reilly Smith type impact wherever he goes. I'm in the minority though most people hate him for some reason on here :laugh:
I agree, he reminds me a lot of Langenbrunner. He can play just about anywhere when needed. Top 6/bottom 6, center or winger as well as on the PP or PK.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I would play him now over Janmark and Cogliano.
The problem is the Stars don’t need to be spending $9 million or cap space on three checking wingers (Comeau, Cogliano, and Nichushkin) with very limited offensive ability. Of the three, Comeau has actually shown the best offensive ability, which isn’t a compliment to any of them. Cogliano and Nichushkin are net negative players overall because of their complete lack of offensive ability. Comeau has at least come back up to the level of production of prior seasons.

One or two of those three shouldn’t be around next season. They need to free up a roster spot and the cap space. No team can afford to have three spots and that much cap space on guys who do the same limited job.

And because of how the buyout rules work, buying out Nichushkin makes the most sense. The other two are not good buyout candidates.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad

I like him a lot. Doesn't make him a top six player. I want top sixers who score.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

I'm a big fan. He gives it his all and hes the kind of player you need to win playoff games. Reminds me of a Keane/Carbs kind of guy. He may not put up lots of points, but he can play anywhere and play in any situation

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I like him a lot. Doesn't make him a top six player. I want top sixers who score.

Yeah that’s my feeling on Dicky. I think he can at his peak be a very good 3C, which is why I want to keep him and play him as a fourth line centre. Next season if we run Seguin/Hintz/Faksa/Dicky down the middle as well as getting some top six help we are going to be very good.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
full

full

full

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Maybe they will try to sign Jeff Skinner his contract run out 2019-20 and he has not yet signed a new contract with Buffalo!
Panarin & Duchene is available in this summer window since Dallas have cap. I believe Jim Nill need to consider all options - the 2020 1st pick in such a deep draft for Zucc is not worth it for this team who certainly need to get younger this summer in my view, but I`m not the GM. I just consider what is best for Dallas Stars in the future, a younger panarin or skinner is better in my opinion. ))

We will see what happen, but Zucc battle the current injury so not an ideal situation for him - and bone normally heal after 10-12 weeks so 5 weeks later is obviously too short. And I understand him if he try the open market as UFA - Zucc has two discount contracts with New York and they are rebuilding now - so he should think about his own interest and less about what their current GM thinks in New York. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad