Line Combos: 2019-2020 Roster Speculation

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I would love Skinner

I want him so badly

LW depth

We need corsi men this team is dying from a lack of shot production and creativity

Reactions: Ori

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If we can get Skinner we should be all over him. So many good left wingers available this off season and with our cap space we better be able to get one.

Panarin, Skinner, Lee, Dzingle, Ferland would all be awesome.

Reactions: Ori

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Rumors that Oliwer Kaski has signed or is close to signing. Follows the Stars, Jamie Benn, Roope Hintz and Mark Stepneski on Twitter...

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
He's definitely signed, just don't know where yet (which implies that it's a playoff team? or just a team waiting until after to announce the signing?). He also follows a handful of Capitals' accounts.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Think the Caps need a D with one missing, no? Makes more sense. Unless Nill wants to really piss off Honka by sitting him in favor o yeat another rookie.

I think it's fairly clear that Jim Nill and co. (especially Monty) couldn't give less of a shit about how Honka feels.

I'll be surprised if he's even qualified at this point.

Kaski seems like he's a step up on Honka, too. Certainly bigger, at the very least. I could see him having some decent success in a #4/5 role. He's not much riskier than a guy like Stralman or Myers, and he'll be a lot cheaper and have more upside.

Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Kaski
Oleksiak - Bayreuther

And then bring in a decent #7. Bringing back Polak and cycling him in with the bottom pairing would be fine. This is all assuming Johns doesn't return, as well.

As solid as Fedun has been, I don't think there's a place for him. He'll get a better chance elsewhere, hopefully. Won't really miss the player too much, though, as he's nothing special. Oleksiak's contract makes it hard to retain more than one of our current lower-end defenders.

Lovejoy has been a pure rental from day one. He'll be gone. Gleason probably needs more time. Cecconi might surprise us, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Hell, even Bayreuther might not earn a spot yet - I don't think his AHL play has been particularly amazing, but he's certainly the best of the bunch that should get a look in training camp.

There aren't really any other UFAs besides Kaski and Stralman that interest me. Don't think a trade is in the books, either. It seems like the big three are more than enough to give us a competent defense, though.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm always weary of massive jumps in points like Kaski had (like D+2 or overagers in the CHL) but I admit that's mostly irrational in this case.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
More than half of Kaskis points are off the powerplay so you have to be a bit careful with expections based on his numbers. That PP for his finish team was clearly build around him. Can't neccesarily expect that.

Not saying he's bad or anything. Just temper your expectations.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Taking a look at the 3rd and 4th lines for next season because why not.

They are pretty tied up with contracts for these 3rd/4th liners. There should be turnover because their bottom of the roster depth is pretty pathetic, but it's not going to be as many guys as we hope. Even if they wanted to try promoting a few young players, they aren't going to have many roster spots open up.

Ritchie is an RFA and shouldn't be qualified, but Nill always qualifies everyone because he's bad at roster management.
Janmark is also an RFA, so same thing.
Spezza is a UFA and probably shouldn't be re-signed, but who knows.

But that's it. Of the bottom six forwards who play every game, we're talking about maybe replacing two of them.

Everyone else is under contract and is probably back next season. Colgiano, Nichushkin, Comeau, Pitlick, and Hanzal are all on the books for next year and beyond in some cases. Nichushkin is an ideal buyout candidate, but I doubt Nill does that because it would be admitting a mistake.

Even if all three RFA/UFAs are allowed to walk, the 3rd and 4th lines and forward scratch(es) next season will be:

3rd: Cogliano - Faksa - Comeau
4th: FreeAgent/AHLer - FreeAgent/AHLer - Pitlick
Scratches: Nichushkin (healthy), Hanzal (tying up cap space on IR while he tries to come back until hitting LTIR later in the season)

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

They are pretty tied up with contracts for these 3rd/4th liners. There should be turnover because their bottom of the roster depth is pretty pathetic, but it's not going to be as many guys as we hope. Even if they wanted to try promoting a few young players, they aren't going to have many roster spots open up.

Ritchie is an RFA and shouldn't be qualified, but Nill always qualifies everyone because he's bad at roster management.

But that's it. Of the bottom six forwards who play every game, we're talking about maybe replacing two of them.

Everyone else is under contract and is probably back next season. Colgiano, Nichushkin, Comeau, Pitlick, and Hanzal are all on the books for next year and beyond in some cases. Nichushkin is an ideal buyout candidate, but I doubt Nill does that because it would be admitting a mistake.

Even if all three RFA/UFAs are allowed to walk, the 3rd and 4th lines and forward scratch(es) next season will be:

Scratches: Nichushkin (healthy), Hanzal (tying up cap space on IR while he tries to come back until hitting LTIR later in the season)

I think I am OK with that, as long as the top six is shored up with a couple legit top six players. That would push everyone down appropriately.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Is there any evidence we signed Kaski other than him following the Stars on social media?

I would imagine playing next to Heiskanen is very appealing, especially for a Finn.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Is there any evidence we signed Kaski other than him following the Stars on social media?

I would imagine playing next to Heiskanen is very appealing, especially for a Finn.
No real evidence.

He did play with Hintz in 16-17 and Miro in 17-18, so I assume we’ve had a pretty good look at him.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’ll take a flyer on a free Euro player, it’s a no lose situation. As for Honka what I’d really like to see with him is to sign a two year deal in Liiga and work on his overall game. The talent is clearly there sure he might bust like Nuke, but I think it’s a better option than giving him away for free or a late round pick.

Reactions: gentleman scholar

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
More than half of Kaskis points are off the powerplay so you have to be a bit careful with expections based on his numbers. That PP for his finish team was clearly build around him. Can't neccesarily expect that.

Not saying he's bad or anything. Just temper your expectations.

If you take away the points he scored he only has zero points

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If you take away the points he scored he only has zero points

The point is more that most of his production is coming from the PP because it was built around him. That simply isn't going to happen in the NHL, so expecting similar production (obviously not PPG, but you catch my drift) in the NHL is unreasonable.

Considering he's not rated particularly highly defensively, it does raise some red flags. But he's young, big, clearly very talented, and costs nothing but an ELC and a roster spot.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

The bottom 6 seems to play their roles very well. The CFC line is ding yeomen's work in shutting down Nashville's top scorers, and we've seen a variety of players succeed in defensive roles there.

That said, the offense they produce is f***ing miserable and unacceptable. They're also just flat out too expensive. It won't happen for all of the reasons you listed, but I'd be in full support of a complete bottom 6 overhaul. I can work out some specifics once I have more time on my hands later tonight.

One guy I am a big fan of is Richard Panik. I think he'd be a great fit and would come at a reasonable price (<3M). The centers (Faksa, Dickinson, with any luck Dellandrea) are fine, it's the wingers that need major work.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I don’t think you’re gonna see much in regards to FA forwards if Zucc signs. Stars have a few guys that’re ready for full time NHL jobs and, as Troy said, there’s just not many spots. If Zucc doesn’t sign, this is one of the deepest FA class of forwards I’ve seen in awhile. There’s at least 16 solid options I’ve seen just glancing at capfriendly. Eberle, Dzingel, Lee, so on all rev my engine (plus the obvious guys like Skinner, Duchene and Panarin).

Dickinson-Seguin-Radulov
Benn-Hintz-Zucc
Cogs-Faksa-Gurianov
Comeau-JLE-Pitlick

Defense is more of a question mark. Polak has to go in my opinion, but I dunno if the organization sees it the same way. If they do, there’s a top four spot that needs to be filled. I know the FA options aren’t exactly appealing aside from my special boy EK, so how about a trade? If the rumors are true about the Penguins being open for business, let’s take a hard look at Letang.

Lindell-Klingberg
Miro-Letang
Fedun-Oleksiak

Reactions: LatvianTwist

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Letang would not be cheap . I don't think thats a realistic option. Pens will want significant pieces back.

Picks , Prospects + roster players .

Letang together with Malkin and Crosby are the three pieces still left from their very first cup in 2009 . They're not letting that guy go for depth pieces.

Last edited:

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
He definitely isn’t gonna be cheap, but he just had a terrible series and went off on the media right after getting swept. Again, not cheap, but he might be under retail with how some GMs think.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think that package will be too costly for Dallas. This isn't EK65 who was UFA . Letang has 3 years left and isn't that old. That package the Pens will want will be insane.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Some of those proposals aren't truly realistic, even with some cap space.

LeTang - No way we pay $7Mil for a 31 year old Dman. Not with Lindell to sign. Best scenario is Johns comes back, we may have to sign a Jason Demers type if not. He has the no. 2 defense in the NHL, yes the goalies are part of that, but will be back.

Bottom Six scoring - Yes, its low, but we aren't going UFA or trade to replace 5-10 goal scorers with other ones, unless its similar to the Shore trade or in reverse. We have some great young fast FW that will fill the role cheap, and leave some space for mid season acquisitions, if required.

Top Six needs one more guy, assuming Hintz continues progressing (which they will). And, of course, if Zuch returns. There are bigger names, but UFA doen't always = instant chemistry, at least with him, if he signs, we know what we are going to get. I would hope to God Gurionov or someone steps up to where Hintz is now. Maybe continued develop JD further, etc.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
That would be awesome if we sign kaski. Even if his points came from the powerplay , it at least shows he’s got skill and offensive ability wich is the hardest thing to teach . At 6’3” he’s got the frame to be a solid defender as well .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad