Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I kind of like the idea of going with 4 scoring lines. The Tavares line was out matching line in the playoffs and that can continue.

Kerfoot and Kapanen with a grinder on the 3rd line. Spezza and Mikheyev with a grinder on the 4th line. Moore and Agostino fit well for those roles.

JustinCase

Dec 1, 2018
Ontario
When Healthy

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Moore - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Mikheyev - Spezza - Agostino

Extras Petan, Shore

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Dermott - Liljegren

Extras: Harpur, Borgman

Reactions: BigBlu

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Mikheyev is not a fourth line player. He will likely play on the left side replacing Hyman. And Hyman is going to be recovering and won't be back until late December or early January. And be honest, how effective do you think he is going to be with that serious knee injury. He won't be fit. Just look at Nylander who is a gym junkie and how terrible he was....without having a serious knee injury?

We basically have lost an effective Hyman until at least late February. Hyman has virtually no skill. He gets by with hard work and skating. His skating will not be there.

I agree with you 100%

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Let's use cheat codes and put out Nylander-Tavares-Marner :naughty:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
a little more size..top load the top 6 while Hyman is out.

Kapanen. ----------------- Tavares.---------------- Marner
Johnsson. ----------------- Matthews ---------------- Nylander
Korshkov/Marchment. -- Kerfoot. ---------------- Mikheyev
Agostino ----------------- Spezza. -----------------Moore
Shore

Rielly. Barrie
Muzzin. Ceci
Harpur. Liljegren
Gravel

Beautiful top 6

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
This is a contending roster if they can stay healthy. Another thing Dubas has done is help out Babcock, and save him from himself by getting rid of his toys.
This is Babcock's last chance. If he fails again, he is gone and likely Keefe takes over.

Coaches have favourite players. That’s nothing unique to Babcock. This whole “Babcock’s toys” conversation is laughable

Generally, coaches like the guys who play they say they ask the players to play. Babcock will have new favourites his year. Watch Trevor Moore go from a guy who people whined about not getting a fair chance under Babcock to a guy people start calling Babcock’s son. Should be good for a laugh.

Reactions: frog

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
upload_2019-7-4_3-32-33.png

I know the new PP coach likes his players to take one timers. I think JT has a cannon if he's allowed to use it. Barrie and Muzz can both rip the puck and Mitch can distribute from his strong side.

Second unit has a one time option in Spezza and Willy (if he can ever hit the net) and a shooting option in Auston on the right side.

On the defensive side, I would actually utilize the Muzz/ Barrie pairing as the top pairing and play them 22-23 minutes a night. Give Rielly/ Ceci 2nd pairing and about 20-21 minutes a night. Give the Dermy/ Lilly pairing 17-18 mins a night.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
When fit

Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Moore Kerfoot Kapanen
Agostino Spezza Mikheyev

Rielly Dermott
Muzzin Berrie
Marincin/Gravel/Harpur/Borgman/Kivihalme Ceci

Andersen
Hutchinson

If we have some cap space I'd like to upgrade the backup position as well, i wouldn't trust Hutchinson as far as i could kick him and Sparks needs to be found a new home if possible, he's done here

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
This is a contending roster if they can stay healthy. Another thing Dubas has done is help out Babcock, and save him from himself by getting rid of his toys.
This is Babcock's last chance. If he fails again, he is gone and likely Keefe takes over.

Babs needs to step out of his comfort zone a little and play the team the way Dubas is designing it to be played. Load up the top six and play them appropriate minutes (Matthews, Tavares, Marner all need 20 mins a night, Nylander at least 17 or 18). Have one of Barrie or Rielly on the ice as much as possible to keep the puck moving. Overwhelm teams with the high powered offense that we're paying so much for instead of rolling out four lines robotically. Our 4th line should rarely see the ice.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Mikheyev-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Moore-Spezza-Petan

Muzzin-Barrie
Rielly-Dermott
Harpur-Ceci

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
View attachment 242737

I know the new PP coach likes his players to take one timers. I think JT has a cannon if he's allowed to use it. Barrie and Muzz can both rip the puck and Mitch can distribute from his strong side.

Second unit has a one time option in Spezza and Willy (if he can ever hit the net) and a shooting option in Auston on the right side.

On the defensive side, I would actually utilize the Muzz/ Barrie pairing as the top pairing and play them 22-23 minutes a night. Give Rielly/ Ceci 2nd pairing and about 20-21 minutes a night. Give the Dermy/ Lilly pairing 17-18 mins a night.
Marner at $7M? Where did you get that from?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Mikheyev is not a fourth line player

Do we know that for sure? Don't get me wrong I hope the guys succeeds but I heard CJ say Mikheyev is not going to come in here and be a top line guy and a recent leafs comparison would be Par Lindholm.

My guess is he starts ups due to necessity and then finds himself on the Fourth line.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
apparently (if the attached link is to be believed) Mathews doesn't want to play with Kappy as his winger, is this guy being a diva or does he have a legit reason for asking to not be played with a specific players?

The original interview was conducted by Simmons, so take it with a grain of salt.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Agostino - Shore - Spezza
Mikheyev/Petan/Gauthier/Korshkov/Timashov

Rielly - Ceci/Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci/Barrie
Dermott - Marincin
Holl/Harpur/Gravel/Borgman/Sandin/Liljegren

Andersen
Hutchinson/Sparks

Outside of 3 guys the defense is really suspect still. Mikheyev isn't penciled in until he deserves it.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Marner at $7M? Where did you get that from?
Him taking s bridge deal now to cash in after 2 years when expansion money and new TV deals kick in and cap goes up significantly. Plus that's what his agent does with every one his clients. They hold out make a fuss and end up settling for a bridge.

Reactions: teddygmr

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If you had to pick one of Gauthier, Petan or Shore to be the extra forward and the other two waived, who would you select?

I'd like to say Petan due to having the extra year on his contract. If he's going to be more winger than centre though, potentially exposing both Shore and Gauthier to waivers would really cut into the centre depth if both were to be claimed.

Don't think it'll be a situation where we're losing two of the three though since one should end up making the lineup IMO.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
When healthy:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
AJ-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Petan-Spezza-Shore
Mikheyev

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Barrie
Harpur-Ceci
Marincin

Freddy
Hutch

To start the season:

AJ-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Tavares-Marner
Kerfoot-Spezza-Kapanen
Petan-Gauthier-Shore
Mikheyev

Muzzin-Barrie
Rielly-Ceci
Harpur-Liljegren
Marincin

Freddy
Hutch

I bet Liljegren gets a cup of coffee before Dermott is back .. He could stick around but I could see him also getting sent down. I also believe Babs will start Spezza as the #3C. It will really depend on how Kerfoot impresses Babcock. If he does he can slide into the middle when Hyman is back. The forward lines follow Babs idea of having "grinder" on each line.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Agostino - Spezza - Shore

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Harpur - Dermott

Andersen
Hutchinson

I would put Hyman back with Matthews and Nylander to give those 2 more sandpaper and a decent cycle game. Marner and Tavares should do good with Johnsson on the left. Good speed on the 3rd line and should be decent defensively. All UFA 4th line, was thinking of putting Mikheyev in there but never seen him play before. I love Spezzas faceoff abilities tho.

Defense is tough to place now. I don’t have much hope for Ceci but he has played big minutes before so might work with Rielly. Muzzin and Barrie would be a great a 2nd pair and might see more ice 5 on 5 than the top pair with Rielly getting lots of extra pp and pk time. Dermott could play in Cecis spot but coming off an injury, maybe start him on the 3rd pair and be the puck mover back there with Harpur hopefully developing into something good as he might still be learning how to use his big frame.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Is the Maple Leafs lineup getting bigger?

Marchment, Korshkov, Engval, Mikheyev

Sounds like Babcock will keep some size that is new to the team.

I think he who skates well will stay.
That would be mikheynev because that sucka ducka can skate like gone of the wind. Not a great film btw. There are so many betters sire. Ain't no thang though. Marchment might get some agostino etc minutes if some of our fools is injured or traded or gone. It'll be fresh and interesting for surely. Babby got that twerk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad