2019-2020 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Tampa gets cap space to sign Point. Those guys always seem to make sweetheart moves. Good for them I guess.

-ghoste

I dont think it does really seem to matter since they would have put Callahan on LTIR and he isnt expected to play in a game anymore

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I dont think it does really seem to matter since they would have put Callahan on LTIR and he isnt expected to play in a game anymore
Really? When was that stated? I didn’t realize he’s that injured.

Reactions: IM Clutcm

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Really? When was that stated? I didn’t realize he’s that injured.
A while back, he's done. This is a good summary of the trade:

Callahan has 4.7M money left, but 80% is insured. Ottawa will pay only 940k on real dollars.
Condon had 3.0M money left. Tampa will pay it all.

So ~2M difference in money paid. Senators pay that much less.

With LTIR usage, Tampa would have had only ~8.9M left to sign both Adam Erne and Brayden Point, to complete their season-starting roster.

Now, even with Condon buried on waivers and taking some caphit penalty, they have 10.05M to sign Erne and Point.

Tampa gets ~1M more cap space with this move, paying ~2M more in real dollars.

Ottawa saves money while increasing their total cap hit as Callahan isn't going to be placed on LTIR

Ottawa moves up a couple draft spots and is no2 paying about 3 million in actual money for 15 million in salary (Gaborik, Callahan, MaCarthur. They're circumventing the floor.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009

Callahan has 4.7M money left, but 80% is insured. Ottawa will pay only 940k on real dollars.

With LTIR usage, Tampa would have had only ~8.9M left to sign both Adam Erne and Brayden Point, to complete their season-starting roster.

Now, even with Condon buried on waivers and taking some caphit penalty, they have 10.05M to sign Erne and Point.

How did they gain the 1 million Dollar in capspace since they could have been over the cap with Callahans (if put on LTIR) caphit ?

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Ottawa saves money while increasing their total cap hit as Callahan isn't going to be placed on LTIR

Ottawa moves up a couple draft spots and is no2 paying about 3 million in actual money for 15 million in salary (Gaborik, Callahan, MaCarthur. They're circumventing the floor.
Funny the games they play to either stay under the cap ceiling or to stay above the cap floor.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Actually the difference comes when you have injured players.

Much harder to recall players from the minors when you are against the cap or over it with LTIR relief.

This is much more advantageous for the Bolts and they feel they upgraded the backup goalie too.

A franchise chasing a cup doesnt quibble about some real extra dollars when they can manipulate the cap to give themselves more room to operate in season.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009

So they only got 9.4 for both Erne and Point. Still not much money left for both of them. This could be a steal if he gets back to his game...Not sure if they need another offensive minded D

And oh boy are they obsessed with former Rangers players

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
So they only got 9.4 for both Erne and Point. Still not much money left for both of them. This could be a steal if he gets back to his game...Not sure if they need another offensive minded D

And oh boy are they obsessed with former Rangers players

freaking steal. man are they going to be tough this season!

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I’m two or three years Barky will be 2 or 1.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
James Mirtle from the Athletic reports that Marners camp asked for a 3 year deal worth 10 million AAV. Apparently they dont wanna sign these big long term contracts because they would give up a lot of UFA years

In the article it is said, most probable are either 3, 6 or 7 years. Leafs will be f***ed up if he gets this AAV on a 3 yr deal

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
James Mirtle from the Athletic reports that Marners camp asked for a 3 year deal worth 10 million AAV. Apparently they dont wanna sign these big long term contracts because they would give up a lot of UFA years

In the article it is said, most probable are either 3, 6 or 7 years. Leafs will be ****ed up if he gets this AAV on a 3 yr deal

He'd still be a RFA if 3 years no?
3 years in league already + 3?
Maybe my math is off but the Leafs would still have one RFA year if they did 3 years.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Leafs window went from 6-7 years to 3-4 imo.
These short term RFA deals are forcing GM's to adapt to shorter term windows of true cup contention.

They gotta re-sign one of Barrie/Muzzin and pray their D prospects pan out.
They gotta re-sign Andersen in 2 years as well @Boothinator

I agree with you @pb1300 , Matthews bolts to the US asap, maybe Arizona if they start trending in the right direction.
We should have a longer lasting timeline if we re-sign Barkov. I'd love to finish 2nd and 3rd and put Leafs out first round again this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad