Prospect Info: 2019-2020 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Have a feeling he will be fighting Stillman for the 6th/7th spot on the Panthers next year.
Has he been physical this year if need be? Not fighting but clearing the crease or a good open ice hit?
It's promising to see his presence on the PP.
Yandle won't be around here forever.

Gildon as many other will do at least 1 Year AHL. Only to show him NHL or Pro Level. Those junior and university hockey is something complete different Level.
Speed, awareness, physicality, shots, system. As long it's not an elite D it makes no sense.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Gildon as many other will do at least 1 Year AHL. Only to show him NHL or Pro Level. Those junior and university hockey is something complete different Level.
Speed, awareness, physicality, shots, system. As long it's not an elite D it makes no sense.

For sure but he will fight for that spot in camp. Depends on how well he impresses the coaches but am fine if he needs a year in Springfield.
I'd say Stillman has the slight edge having two years of AHL experience by end of this year.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
And more troubling, Noel:

Not really surprised to read this, but it's still disappointing from one of our top forward prospects. Maybe he's working on some other part of his game?

Overall, our "top 5" of Borgstrom, Denisenko, Tippett, Noel and Heponiemi has been underwhelming if not outright disappointing this year. Only Tippett is where I'd expect him to be production wise/developementally at this point...

I'm not worried about his development.

I saw him at the OHL vs. Russia game. He was a beast!

I find he gets underwhelmed from what I've seen live and on TV. He could be a physical monster every game if he wanted to. I like to think the better competition he'll have, the greater he will respond.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

I find he gets underwhelmed from what I've seen live and on TV. He could be a physical monster every game if he wanted to. I like to think the better competition he'll have, the greater he will respond.
That's a valid opinion to some degree but he's not even at a 1.ppg pace right now on a very good team. Underwhelmed or not, I'd just like him to be a beast more often.
Don't take me too seriously but I worry if he has enough drive... competitiveness or aggression or however you call it. I know it's just junior level but is he even trying hard enough? And if not, why should we believe he will at the NHL level? I'd like him to get a little mean - and I don't mean playing dirty, but to dominate most games using all the tools he has and taking advantage of his size.
I'd like him in our top 6 one day, but he needs to show me more for that.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
For sure but he will fight for that spot in camp. Depends on how well he impresses the coaches but am fine if he needs a year in Springfield.
I'd say Stillman has the slight edge having two years of AHL experience by end of this year.

The only chance you get a 1st Season NHL chance, been picked in the Top 5 and been 18 and Weight around 205 lbs. All other Players will face the AHL, they always say that their is competition. They said it on Schemitsch and Stillmann both playing NHL. Its a wanted Way unlike you show all skills thats needed.

So thats why i dont like those fighting for a Spot System. i know non, who really get a chance after the Camp. Even Trocheck before his Injury was sended down.
Its more a fight for the Spot, first been called Up. Maybe i listen harsh, but anything else listen to a lie to me.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

But thats what is been missing in his Game, he skates fast has a Big Body, but he avoid checks. Given and takeing Checks and thats slow his Game a ton, when you have the tools and advantage use it.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
But thats what is been missing in his Game, he skates fast has a Big Body, but he avoid checks. Given and takeing Checks and thats slow his Game a ton, when you have the tools and advantage use it.

All I mean is I think he is playing for the future. Why risk it now in juniors, when he knows when he makes it later on he can dominate and make big money.

Basically, he's betting on himself. :crossfing

Reactions: SoupyFIN

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

Sadly he may have the physical size and ability but not the mental size and ability. It sounds bad and I hope I'm wrong but I mean it in a constructive way. If you don't have the drive and confidence to take the next step, it won't be there.

Reactions: klabob

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Great night from our guys at Boston college.
Hutsko scored the goal from the clip above, finished 1+1, 3 SOG, 3rd star of the game. Now is 6+3 in 8 games.
Finkelstein scored a goal, 4 SOG, on ice for 4 out of BC's 6 goals. After a really slow start starting to pick it up - he's 2+3 in 12 games but 2+2 in the past four.
Knight as reported above saved 23/25. He's 8-4-0 now with "only" a 93.5 SVS%. Coach said (quote): "They had some big chances. He had another terrific night." I like :)

Reactions: Ghoste

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Tonight's the night! Get to see Koly live in the flesh and blood. Hopefully he puts on a show.

Koly was okay last night. His defensive positioning was a bit off, as the whole Flint team was off and they lost 8-3 Saginaw. It said he had four shots last night, but I didn't really notice any shots, so they must not have been not dangerous. The guy can sure skate and pass the buck though, I tell you what. He is a little smaller than I always thought.
The star of the show last night though was Mason Millman, my cousin. 3 assists, two on the power play. On the ice 7 out of 8 Saginaw goals for, not on the ice for any Flint goals. Finished the night + 5 with a shot. At one point he went end-to-end, and right as he went to shoot got hauled down I believe with a hooking penalty. First star of the game!

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Koly was okay last night. His defensive positioning was a bit off, as the whole Flint team was off and they lost 8-3 Saginaw. It said he had four shots last night, but I didn't really notice any shots, so they must not have been not dangerous. The guy can sure skate and pass the buck though, I tell you what. He is a little smaller than I always thought.
The star of the show last night though was Mason Millman, my cousin. 3 assists, two on the power play. On the ice 7 out of 8 Saginaw goals for, not on the ice for any Flint goals. Finished the night + 5 with a shot. At one point he went end-to-end, and right as he went to shoot got hauled down I believe with a hooking penalty. First star of the game!

Nice. Yeah, it seems Koly still has some work to do on his game. 14 pts., +2 in 24 games, respectable given his position and experience in the ohl. But his pts. seem to be on the same pace as last season. If he wants to make it as more than a fringe nhler, he's gonna have to be a two-way guy. Still, way to early to be worrying. His mobility though is something that not a lot of defensemen have. If he can continue to keep refining his game little by little, he's gonna be a good one.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
After not playing (injured? scratched?) for several games, Denisenko responding big - scoring an equalizing goal and then adding a primary assist in a 2-1 match. Still 42 minutes to go.

EDIT: Halfway through the game... WTF?!? Denisenko in front of "enemy" net, a defenceman grabs him into a freaking chokehold to stop him from scoring. How in hell is that just a 2 minute penalty???
On the bright side, Denisenko's team scored on the chokehold (officially roughing) penalty to make it 4-2.

Five minutes left in the third, another penalty for bad guys while trying to stop Denisenko from scoring - the guy just grabbed him around his weist and pushed him away to stop Denisenko's rush towards "enemy net".

On one hand, it's crazy how these guys can manhandle him. OTOH, it's kinda funny how nervous he seems to make the enemy defence, especially given his 8 points in 24 games...

Had a very good game today (ended 6-3 win for Lokomotiv). There were a couple moments when I thought he was thinking the game too fast for his teammates (like a neat pass his teammate evidently didn't expect). I kinda wish his skating was just a little bit faster - and don't get me wrong, it's very good, NOT a weakness at all - but give him just one tiny bit more and I get the feeling he'd be unstoppable. His physicality has improved some but he's still obviously a kid surrounded by grown men (and when they get tired of him, they manhandle him or bodycheck him into the boards).

Still nowhere near NHL ready - have to be patient with him.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
After not playing (injured? scratched?) for several games, Denisenko responding big - scoring an equalizing goal and then adding a primary assist in a 2-1 match. Still 42 minutes to go.

EDIT: Halfway through the game... WTF?!? Denisenko in front of "enemy" net, a defenceman grabs him into a freaking chokehold to stop him from scoring. How in hell is that just a 2 minute penalty???
On the bright side, Denisenko's team scored on the chokehold (officially roughing) penalty to make it 4-2.

Five minutes left in the third, another penalty for bad guys while trying to stop Denisenko from scoring - the guy just grabbed him around his weist and pushed him away to stop Denisenko's rush towards "enemy net".

On one hand, it's crazy how these guys can manhandle him. OTOH, it's kinda funny how nervous he seems to make the enemy defence, especially given his 8 points in 24 games...

Had a very good game today (ended 6-3 win for Lokomotiv). There were a couple moments when I thought he was thinking the game too fast for his teammates (like a neat pass his teammate evidently didn't expect). I kinda wish his skating was just a little bit faster - and don't get me wrong, it's very good, NOT a weakness at all - but give him just one tiny bit more and I get the feeling he'd be unstoppable. His physicality has improved some but he's still obviously a kid surrounded by grown men (and when they get tired of him, they manhandle him or bodycheck him into the boards).

Yup, Deni is fine. He'll be a long term project but worth it in the end.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

Love everything I’m reading. Just needs to bulk up. Sounds like he’ll be a great player for us. Also 8 points in 24 games with his TOI is not worrying at all.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Prospect roundup:
College:
Knight
's performance mentioned above - this also makes it 7th straight win for BC. Hutsko and Finkelstein each collect a PP assist on the same goal (a little chemistry developing between the two Panthers?), Finkelstein finishes +1. Hutsko now with 10 points in 9 games, +6 - he's been very consistent, having a point in every game this year - if only he could stay healthy... Finkelstein with 5 points in the past 5 games, 6 points in 13 season games, +8 for the season (2nd highest on the team, just behind his D partner).
In a game of two struggling teams, Karch Bachman scores a goal for Maine vs. UConn; 12 points (6 goals) in 13 college games so about the production you want to see from a guy in his fourth year of college if he's to have any NHL future. Berger on the other side of that game; finished with a PP assist (3 points in 12 games) and +1, not on ice for any goals against in a 6-4 win.
Gildon not on ice for any goals against in an 0-4 loss.

WHL:
Ludvig
held pointless in the past four games now. I find myself strangely disappointed, nevermind the guy is a defensive dman and much scoring was never expected from him. Has a fighting major and 2SOG in a 2-1 S/O win.

AHL:
They lose 4-1 (went 4-6-0 in the past 10); Tippett collects an assist. That team can't score for some reason which is really weird considering the offensive firepower they should have; plus they allowed over 40 SOG again. Honestly, I've been underwhelmed by Springfield for years now and while things are slightly better this year, not that much better (and how much of it comes from the great goaltending they'd been getting?). I'm looking at Kinnear here. Is his work developing the Panthers kids really that great because his AHL record sure ain't. On the bright side, Tippett with 17 points in 23 games, leading the team; also good for 29th in the AHL and making him 3rd best rookie (5th best U22 guy) in points.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Spencer Knight saves 27 of 29 for his seventh straight win. He's let in 4 goals in his last 2 which is up from his typical 1 goal against a game so now might be the time to sell on him.
Pick looking great (though to be fair, most of the 2019 1st round looks great so far). Should be fun to watch how far he can take an otherwise just decent BC team.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Prospect roundup:
College:
Knight
's performance mentioned above - this also makes it 7th straight win for BC. Hutsko and Finkelstein each collect a PP assist on the same goal (a little chemistry developing between the two Panthers?), Finkelstein finishes +1. Hutsko now with 10 points in 9 games, +6 - he's been very consistent, having a point in every game this year - if only he could stay healthy... Finkelstein with 5 points in the past 5 games, 6 points in 13 season games, +8 for the season (2nd highest on the team, just behind his D partner).
In a game of two struggling teams, Karch Bachman scores a goal for Maine vs. UConn; 12 points (6 goals) in 13 college games so about the production you want to see from a guy in his fourth year of college if he's to have any NHL future. Berger on the other side of that game; finished with a PP assist (3 points in 12 games) and +1, not on ice for any goals against in a 6-4 win.
Gildon not on ice for any goals against in an 0-4 loss.

WHL:
Ludvig
held pointless in the past four games now. I find myself strangely disappointed, nevermind the guy is a defensive dman and much scoring was never expected from him. Has a fighting major and 2SOG in a 2-1 S/O win.

AHL:
They lose 4-1 (went 4-6-0 in the past 10); Tippett collects an assist. That team can't score for some reason which is really weird considering the offensive firepower they should have; plus they allowed over 40 SOG again. Honestly, I've been underwhelmed by Springfield for years now and while things are slightly better this year, not that much better (and how much of it comes from the great goaltending they'd been getting?). I'm looking at Kinnear here. Is his work developing the Panthers kids really that great because his AHL record sure ain't. On the bright side, Tippett with 17 points in 23 games, leading the team; also good for 29th in the AHL and making him 3rd best rookie (5th best U22 guy) in points.
Thanks for the write ups. It’s enjoyable to come on here and read them. I typically always know about Knight because I’m giddy over the kid but these are really appreciated!

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Sounds like Tippet and Knight are the two best prospects we have based on their recent play.

Really need Borgstrom to take that next step. Hepo is disappointing so far. I had extremely high expectations for him.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Just a couple updates on some of the "forgotten" prospects:

Lammikko (C/LW) is having a really strong season for Karpat, 8 goals and 24 pts in 24 games, +20.
Karpat is also having a great year so far, 20-4 and have only given up 33 goals in those 24 games.
He'll be 24 in January, not sure if we burned the bridge there but good to see him progressing in the right direction.
Still listed as a RFA on capfriendly

Mamin (LW) is currently playing his 2nd season back in KHL for CSKA Moskva and has 3 goals and 10 pts in 25 games, which is up from last year (1 goal, 3 pts in 25 games). He'll be 25 in January as well and still listed as RFA on capfriendly. His team is 1st in their division. Don't know if we see him back as a Panther anytime soon though.

Bajkov (RW) is playing in the ECHL with Bednard for the Greenville Swamp Rabbits. Having a really good year, he's 2nd on the team in points with 12 goals and 19 pts in 21 games. Last year he had 4 goals and 14 pts in 33 games in the ECHL.
Just turned 22 a couple days ago

Speaking of Bednard (G), he's the starter for Greenville, not a great start, a 6-6-1 record in 14 games, he has a 2.98 GAA but sports a decent .910 SV%. Currently 3rd in their division at 11-9-1. He's way down the depth chart but still have some longshot hope for him to be at least a good AHL goalie in a couple years, maybe something like Driedger's path. Will be 23 years old in March.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad