2019 - 2020 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
They have those little nylon pegs with tiny spikes. Works fine for beer league hockey, but I think they need a better system for AUS. Hopefully they'll figure it out.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
A feisty game last night at SMU. UdeM look pretty good and should be able to get a playoff spot. The young guys for SMU played better, but still are a work in progress. My takeaway after 2 games is the lack of finish around the net and missed/botched passes. These are things that time and practice can improve.
In other games, ACA ends UNB undefeated season. Good bounce-back game by ACA. I have a week to rest until the SMU Hockey Reunion this weekend. Lots of guys I watched play and many more when I was with the team, coming to town.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Nothing is working besides women’s soccer... I personally would pay $150 a year subscription fee or something for reliable streaming and better camera work ...
That fee wouldn't come close to offsetting the cost of higher-quality broadcasts, unfortunately.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don't often feel bad for anyone at UNB, but I can understand your frustration with the webcast. I seldom watch a game on webcast. If SMU is on the road, I can go watch DAL or drive to ACA. One drawback of being the only game in town at Freddybeach.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I don't often feel bad for anyone at UNB, but I can understand your frustration with the webcast. I seldom watch a game on webcast. If SMU is on the road, I can go watch DAL or drive to ACA. One drawback of being the only game in town at Freddybeach.
The Red Wings have definitely helped keep me entertained with the lack of hockey at the AUC so far this year, but it’s still tier-2 hockey.. I really miss heading to the LBR to watch a Tommies game . I was never a Tommies fan, but their presence is missed greatly around here :(

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Junior A hockey can be entertaining. The product may not be as polished as the AUS, but still fun to watch. You could see some kid who goes on to NCAA and then to the NHL. Doesn't happen a lot down here but it could.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Junior A hockey can be entertaining. The product may not be as polished as the AUS, but still fun to watch. You could see some kid who goes on to NCAA and then to the NHL. Doesn't happen a lot down here but it could.
A former star player for UNB came out of Junior A - Lachlan MacIntosh. Or if you go further back, star Dax MacLean. But I agree that there are probably fewer NCAA and NHL bound players in the MHL than the other Junior A leagues. Maritimers thinking NCAA seem to tend to go the US prep school route, and then USHL.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
A former star player for UNB came out of Junior A - Lachlan MacIntosh. Or if you go further back, star Dax MacLean. But I agree that there are probably fewer NCAA and NHL bound players in the MHL than the other Junior A leagues. Maritimers thinking NCAA seem to tend to go the US prep school route, and then USHL.
The leagues out west seems to produce a good amount for NCAA bound kids... MacIntosh might be my fav V-Red ever, hard to pinpoint , but I love pulling for the Jr.A guys who end up in the AUS I was in no way knocking Jr.A hockey, just implying I would rather 2 AUS teams in town

Last edited:

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Nothing is working besides women’s soccer... I personally would pay $150 a year subscription fee or something for reliable streaming and better camera work ...
And men's soccer. X the only one to tweet theirs was not working. I remember when this first started, cost me 5$ a game, could only get SMU and UNB games at home. Think it was run out of UNB? then SMU alone all games, I still paid, then it went free, along with every sport. Like to think it would bring better service, but like the man says further on, wouldn't be likely. If they could provide better equipment, one thing, but the camera work is pretty shoddy sometimes. At Smu, especially last year, they were always out of the play. But, guess in this case, we get what we pay for.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

I held off on naming any player from the MHL who went on to bigger things, knowing you would find a UNB name.

Shawn O'Donnell.
Four seasons in the AHL.
188 AHL games. That's 188 more AHL games than the 2 UNB guys combined.
63 ECHL games. That's 63 more ECHL games than the 2 UNB guys combined.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I held off on naming any player from the MHL who went on to bigger things, knowing you would find a UNB name.

Shawn O'Donnell.
Four seasons in the AHL.
I feel like people are taking what I said as a knock on Jr.A hockey, I’m well aware of who comes out of it, I was just saying that I miss having 2 AUS teams, I wouldn’t be spending my money on it if I thought it was garbage hockey but yeah I would rather watch university hockey players, even if it is STU

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Also, add Justin Bowers

at UNB alone I Can also think of Campbell, Salituro,Mockler,Frees,LeBlanc,Wilson, Watson,Perry , etc from just the last decade and a half at UNB who all played Jr.A... wasn’t trying to imply I thought this was some joke level of hockey .... I have a cousin who’s played in the MHL and OUA...

Edit:and Darcy Tuplin, and I want to say Matt Doherty came out of Jr.A

Last edited:

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Red Devil, this is nothing against you. I KNOW you're not knocking Jr A.

It's just a running battle I have with some UNB folks. All in good fun, I should add...
I gotcha, I’ve heard some pretty demeaning things about the quality of CIS hockey, just making sure I wasn’t being perceived as the Jr hockey version of these folks lol.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Watched the over-time last night. Linesman goofed an icing on St. F.X. that should have been waived off as the X player was clearly in-front of the Dal D-man. Ref's caught it and they had the face-off at center. Will likely see a few more of these as the officials get use to the how make the call.

CW is going Hybrid, but the OUA is not going with Hybrid - I wonder what's going to happen for UCup? Could be a big disadvantage to OUA teams.[/QUOTE

I can confirm that the OUA is also implementing hybrid icing this season. Inconsistency is no longer a concern at UCup.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

Shawn O'Donnell.
Four seasons in the AHL.
I stand to be corrected? but didn't he score the U Cup winning goal against Bob's Bears in T-Bay??

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I noticed Justin Guenette from Moncton got a 4 game suspension for a match penalty (intent to injure) at the end of their game against Moncton last weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad