2019 - 2020 AUS Thread

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I noticed Justin Guenette from Moncton got a 4 game suspension for a match penalty (intent to injure) at the end of their game against Moncton last weekend.
StFX was on powerplay late in the period. Scrum in the corner behind Moncton net. Video isn't at the best angle, but Guenette appears to take William Bower's helmet off and bop him in the head with it, while both are tied up with linesman.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I've been slack in my posting, so here we go. I've seen DAL 4 times in a week - ACA and SMU twice. All 4 games were DAL losses. Waiting on the text from Dons asking me to stay home.

Both ACA games the Axe were short staffed with 17 players, I think? I thought the recent game was "better" than last week because they showed more skill and scoring potential. Just my opinion. SMU looked just OK in their Reunion weekend game despite DAL playing back-to-back. A lot of penalties slowed the game down and it became a specialty team game. Last night looked like it might be a blowout until Brassard had a shot bounce off his head to cut the lead to 3-2, but SMU prevailed 6-2.

Although it's just 2 games I think ACA looks pretty good. with only 19 skaters on the roster it's gonna be tight to keep going. I'm guessing they're saving a few spots for the AHL guys that UNB doesn't want at Christmas.

SMU is a work in progress. Balmas looks like the real deal, Getson has fit in nicely so far. Goaltending will be a problem for SMU as I don't think Brassard will Steal too many games, but he could Lose some.

It's early in the year, so time will tell. ACA at SMU Wed night could be an indicator of things.

Reactions: Drummer

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
ACA-SMU. This game was decided in the 1st period. McFadden off the rush, who had a choice of at least 3 options decided to tuck it under Brassard. Coella and Foss, while "nice" goals were, to use football parlance - blown coverage. SMU looked better in the 2nd and 3rd. Balmas scored a nice goal - with the defender tying him up, he managed to just get his hands free and wristed one over Flodell who was down looking thru the screen. Flodell was solid, especially in the 3rd when SMU had several good shifts and had ACA on their heels.
Overall, an entertaining game to watch. ACA was playing with a short bench again, dressing only 15 skaters. So, a good win for them. If SMU can play like they did in the latter part of the game they should be able to compete.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
ACA-SMU. This game was decided in the 1st period. McFadden off the rush, who had a choice of at least 3 options decided to tuck it under Brassard. Coella and Foss, while "nice" goals were, to use football parlance - blown coverage. SMU looked better in the 2nd and 3rd. Balmas scored a nice goal - with the defender tying him up, he managed to just get his hands free and wristed one over Flodell who was down looking thru the screen. Flodell was solid, especially in the 3rd when SMU had several good shifts and had ACA on their heels.
Overall, an entertaining game to watch. ACA was playing with a short bench again, dressing only 15 skaters. So, a good win for them. If SMU can play like they did in the latter part of the game they should be able to compete.

I know its early but I think it is safe to say Acadia is much better than last year. Good on them with being hosts at the Nationals.

Reactions: AUS Fan

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
STFX vs UNB is the game to watch Friday night. After the Reds humiliated them at Nationals last year I'm sure X will be plenty motivated. Addison and Raaymakers have been big additions.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB being with a pretty dominant 6-3 win over X. Shots were 38-10. Was expecting a tighter game for sure.

X was missing Addison and Smith which didn’t help their cause, but they have had a very hard time generating much offensively against UNB lately.

Both teams got fortunate bounces that led to goals.

I thought Parenteau looked pretty shakey most of the game.

Raaymakers settled down and held his team in it. The X-Men defense still doesn’t impress me defensively...they gave up lots of chances. UNB could have had a couple more.

X starting a scuffle after they fell behind 3-0...predictable. Reagan Spears in the middle of it with a cheap shot/spear on Watling...even more predictable. I thought spearing was a 5 minute major...didn’t know it can also be 4 minutes.

Great crowd tonight for an early season game.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Actually it was Cormier who hit Watling late, from behind. Spears then got tangled up with Gatenby, and that's where he earned the double minor for spearing, or high sticking, or whatever it was.

UNB was livid about the hit on Watling. They thoughr it was "predatory" and should have been a major.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Actually it was Cormier who hit Watling late, from behind. Spears then got tangled up with Gatenby, and that's where he earned the double minor for spearing, or high sticking, or whatever it was.

UNB was livid about the hit on Watling. They thoughr it was "predatory" and should have been a major.

Thanks for the clarification. By the time I noticed what was going on I saw Watling on the ice so I assumed it was Spears’ spear that got him.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Sorry, just went back and read the penalties, so Cormier only got a 2 min for the hit? Not sure how that is only a 2 min but whatever I guess.
Thought it was comical that Peddle was irate about the hit at the end of the second period. Pointing and gesturing at the refs, meanwhile there were many dirty plays that were not called on X players.

Last edited:

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
Interested in the thoughts of others. I find Cormier as perhaps the grainiest player in league to play against. I am not saying that in a bad way (although he has certainly crossed line on occasions) just that you have to have your head up for elbows, sticks, digs....he seems to be in the middle of everything.. Maaskant and others play such a game too. The league has always had such players with legends like Phil Daigle, Nelson, Harty. Who else would you add to this year’s list? Upei added some grit but haven’t even them play yet.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Interested in the thoughts of others. I find Cormier as perhaps the grainiest player in league to play against. I am not saying that in a bad way (although he has certainly crossed line on occasions) just that you have to have your head up for elbows, sticks, digs....he seems to be in the middle of everything.. Maaskant and others play such a game too. The league has always had such players with legends like Phil Daigle, Nelson, Harty. Who else would you add to this year’s list? Upei added some grit but haven’t even them play yet.

Judging from what I’ve read about them, I think the Pilon brothers for UPEI are going to be a pain to play against. However, I haven’t watched them enough to say if they are “dirty” or not.

St. FX has had a number of guys recently like Difruscia/Hoyles (on top of Cormier/Spears) who always seem to be in the middle of things.

Last edited:

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Judging from what I’ve read about them, I think the Pilon brothers for UPEI are going to be a pain to play against. However, I haven’t watched them enough to say if they are “dirty” or not.

St. FX has had a number of guys recently like Difruscia/Hoyles (on top of Cormier/Spears) who always seem to be in the middle of things.
One of them, #70, got carted off the ice in the first period, did not return. Didn't see much of the other one, though he got one of their goals.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
We may have a genuine race for the last playoff spot this year. Dal got three points this weekend and are tied with Moncton for 5th. The Panthers are currently in last place three points behind them.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I thought spearing was a 5 minute major...didn’t know it can also be 4 minutes.

Spearing is either a 4-min (double minor) or a Match (injury or intent to injure) - there is no Major. The official has only these two choices (similar to Slew Foot Tripping; stationary is 4min, while in motion or an injury is Match). These are the rare exceptions to not having a Major as a choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad