2019 - 2020 AUS Thread

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
STFX edges UNB 3-2 in a much better effort by them. Not a particularly rough game but the refs called it really tight with 20 infractions. Really very little flow in the last two periods.

Acadia downs SMU 9-8! Only caught the last 5min but it was enough to see four goals. Shots weren’t even that high. Just a bad night for the netminders.

Reactions: dm8895

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I had a previous engagement so I didn't get up to see the game. It was only when I got home that I saw the score.

Since I didn't see the game, I can't really comment, but I will say that having your #1 goalie give up 8 goals is not a good thing. Potvin with 9 against....sure, why not?

And, I'll leave it there....

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
STFX shutout against SMU Wednesday night. Lose 4-1 to Acadia tonight. The Axeman now have a four point lead top of the AUS.

UPEI with a much needed win (3-2 ot) in Moncton. Panthers are now one point behind Dal for the last playoff spot. Les Aigles now tied with X for fourth.

Biggest surprise of the day was that the Panthers bus made it across the bridge in these high winds.

Reactions: Prov1X

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Acadia, have had a big turnover the past two years, but obviously are playing very good hockey right now.
9-1 record and 2 pts up on the Army. I would expect a pretty good crowd next Saturday, when the Axemen come to the AUC.

Reactions: Prov1X

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Acadia are playing well and still with a short bench. By my count they have 2 roster spots open, presumably for Christmas presents. McNulty and McClellan have not dressed yet and one would think they won't unless there is nothing under the tree come December.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
SMU beats UPEI 5-4 in overtime on a rare Tuesday game. The winning goal by Nick Welsh was contested by the Panthers as they thought he had batted the puck in. However, the replay showed it simply bounced off his body into the net. While the broadcast was showing a replay of the goal both benches erupted in a scuffle. No idea what caused it. Both teams sent to the dressing room without handshakes.

Anyway it was an important point for the Panthers as they move into a tie with Dal for the last playoff spot. The Huskies are now two points back of UNB for third place. Both teams play Friday night.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
A night of upsets in the AUS.

UNB played a rather disorganized game and SMU took full advantage. Game winner was a very weak goal let in by Harvey but the Huskies deserved the win.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
That was one of the sloppiest, most uninspiring games I’ve saw UNB play in a long time. Playing a team at home they blew out last month, who were also playing without three top players and lay an egg...frustrating night.

Credit to SMU as they obviously played a large part in that....they didn’t give UNB anything.

Reactions: Rob

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
At last Eric Brassard gets a star selection. He shutout X in Antigonish and got none, 3rd went to Adam Laishram. Backstops SMU at home 2-1 over X, and 5-4 over UPEI, still nothing. Well done to those at UNB doing the selections. Neither Pilons or Sutton were in PEI lineup against SMU, Drake back tonight against X, Sutton still out.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
At last Eric Brassard gets a star selection. He shutout X in Antigonish and got none, 3rd went to Adam Laishram. Backstops SMU at home 2-1 over X, and 5-4 over UPEI, still nothing. Well done to those at UNB doing the selections. Neither Pilons or Sutton were in PEI lineup against SMU, Drake back tonight against X, Sutton still out.
Brassard made some big saves, and outplayed Sam Harvey, but SMU played the smarter game last night. Their forecheck disrupted UNB breakouts, they anticipated outlet passes through the neutral zone, and kept UNB mostly to the perimeter on the Reds cycle in the offensive zone. Both Huskies goals came on powerplays while UNB couldn't score with the man advantage.

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
Moncton scores 3 goals in 29 seconds and is up 5-0 in the first period versus SMU. That has to be some sort of AUS record for fastest 3 goals.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I'm guessing the Huskies were up all night celebrating. They missed an opportunity to be in a tie for first with Acadia and UNB. Moncton leapfrogs STFX for fourth place.

I know it is early but I think it is safe to say that Dalhousie will be missing the playoffs again this season. Now four points out of a spot. Pilon with a hatrick for the Panthers.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Moncton scores 3 goals in 29 seconds and is up 5-0 in the first period versus SMU. That has to be some sort of AUS record for fastest 3 goals.
Acadia looks like a solid host for Nationals, unlike Lethbridge last year.
The AUS has tightened up, especially with Acadia and SMU pushing UNB.
It's still early, but my bet is UNB and Acadia/SMU for the two bye positions, come playoffs.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia looks like a solid host for Nationals, unlike Lethbridge last year.
The AUS has tightened up, especially with Acadia and SMU pushing UNB.
It's still early, but my bet is UNB and Acadia/SMU for the two bye positions, come playoffs.

I'm still going with X over SMU. As they showed last year it is all about the playoffs.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
I like SMU to win in the playoffs this year. great recruiting year. You look at the guys they've brought in. A lot of guys that are memorial cup winners/fanalists. They have the character and grit to be real hard to play against as UNB saw Friday night.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SMU will go as far as goal tending takes them. They aren't the most skilled team, but they do have some talent. They should finish 3-4 and win At Least 1 round of playoffs. UNB is still the team to beat. ACA have improved over last season but still could use a few more pieces to get the whole package together. I think SFX goal tending tandem will be the difference maker in the 2nd half.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Dal with the 5-3 upset win over Acadia. The Tigers actually had a 4-0 lead going into the third period. First home win for the Tigers who snap a six game losing streak. Axemen miss an opportunity to take sole possession of first place with UNB's game against UPEI postponed.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Axemen miss an opportunity to take sole possession of first place with UNB's game against UPEI postponed.

Yes - but that's been the story for Acadia for the past 10 years. They can't hold onto the reins - they seem t0 find ways to fall out of 1st place. A few years back - they led going into the break and faltered after Christmas 3-4 straight years and ended up 2nd or 3rd.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Instead of blaming ACA, perhaps give some credit to DAL? I didn't see the game so I can't comment on that aspect. But, just because a team loses doesn't mean that they were bad.
I do agree with the observation on ACA ability to "falter" at times. But, it happens to a lot of teams. One of the reasons they don't hand out the trophy in October.
I need to see more than one "bad" game to write anyone off. Like SMU winning at UNB and then tanking at UdeM.

I have the odd bad game in pick-up hockey. But, I'm good with that.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Anyone know why X goalie Joseph Raaymakers was suspended a game? I checked the box score from their loss to Acadia and it only shows him getting a 2min roughing penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->