2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'm waiting for the leafs to go down a single goal then I'm lurking the leafs GDT hard.
Be careful, you might get banned from their boards. I was posting positive things about Florida in the NYI/FLA gameday thread earlier only to get banned from the thread, and only then realising that it was in the NYI team board rather than the game thread on the main boards :laugh:

Zolik37

#1 Nate Guenin fan
Aug 17, 2011
Is there a team with worse defence than the panthers? They actually have a pretty good top 6 with Barkov Huberdeau, Hoffman etc. , Bob is a decent goalie, but apart from Ekblad and maybe Yandle they have nobody that is an NHL level defenceman.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Is there a team with worse defence than the panthers? They actually have a pretty good top 6 with Barkov Huberdeau, Hoffman etc. , Bob is a decent goalie, but apart from Ekblad and maybe Yandle they have nobody that is an NHL level defenceman.
I mean the Red Wings, Kings, Senators, Sabres, and Devils all have way worse defenses than Florida. Florida has a solid defense, but no one good enough to anchor it yet. Weegar, Yandle, and Ekblad are all good, but they just need more quality depth or a high end piece to add to the backend.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Yeah, Tallon bet on Matheson turning into a star and he's been terrible. Someone on here--can't remember--was telling me Weegar's turning into a legit top-4 option (he's basically their Ryan Graves), but as you say, there isn't much beyond the two big names. Stralman would've been a great pickup five years ago, but now age and injuries have whittled him down to a shell of what he once was.

Funny, they would have had an embarrassment of riches at forward had they just held onto Marchessault and Smith, but Tallon and the ownership group let both go for literally nothing. We always talk about "asset management," it doesn't get much worse than that. They could still maybe flip some assets for defensive help but now they don't have nearly as much cap flexibility thanks to the Bobrovsky deal (another monumental mistake).

Reactions: Zolik37

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Probably me on Weegar... I'd argue he is their best all around defensemen. He's a hidden gem of a player in the NHL.

I got a lot of scorn for saying Columbus would improve their goaltending without Bob... a season plus later and it is clearly the case. No way anybody should have paid Bob that much. That contract is going to be one of the worst in the NHL... and Columbus has arguably one of the top 3-4 tandems in the NHL.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Boy if the Leafs lose today brace yourselves for the incoming threads. Value of : Marner, Value of : Andersen and then on the mainboard : Dubas should be fired right now. Also they will finally admit that Kerfoot is no Selke level player :sarcasm:

Reactions: Richard88

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
During the regular season Panthers and Leafs both played like they absolutely didn't want that last playoff place in the Atlantic. It seems to carry on in the play-ins.

Zolik37

#1 Nate Guenin fan
Aug 17, 2011
I mean the Red Wings, Kings, Senators, Sabres, and Devils all have way worse defenses than Florida. Florida has a solid defense, but no one good enough to anchor it yet. Weegar, Yandle, and Ekblad are all good, but they just need more quality depth or a high end piece to add to the backend.

I should have been more clearer with my post, I meant the worst defense from the teams still in play. Obviously Sabres, Senators and others are worse.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Arizona are peppering Nashville with 12 shot attempts in 10 minutes (6 on goal), but Nashville lead on a Bonino goal.

Edit: and literally as I posted that Kuemper lets in a softie. Saros is totally outplaying Kuemper

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I should have been more clearer with my post, I meant the worst defense from the teams still in play. Obviously Sabres, Senators and others are worse.
Ahh I see. Well. Chicago and Edmonton would give them a run for their money I’d say.

Zolik37

#1 Nate Guenin fan
Aug 17, 2011
Yeah, Tallon bet on Matheson turning into a star and he's been terrible. Someone on here--can't remember--was telling me Weegar's turning into a legit top-4 option (he's basically their Ryan Graves), but as you say, there isn't much beyond the two big names. Stralman would've been a great pickup five years ago, but now age and injuries have whittled him down to a shell of what he once was.

Funny, they would have had an embarrassment of riches at forward had they just held onto Marchessault and Smith, but Tallon and the ownership group let both go for literally nothing. We always talk about "asset management," it doesn't get much worse than that. They could still maybe flip some assets for defensive help but now they don't have nearly as much cap flexibility thanks to the Bobrovsky deal (another monumental mistake).

Probably me on Weegar... I'd argue he is their best all around defensemen. He's a hidden gem of a player in the NHL.

I got a lot of scorn for saying Columbus would improve their goaltending without Bob... a season plus later and it is clearly the case. No way anybody should have paid Bob that much. That contract is going to be one of the worst in the NHL... and Columbus has arguably one of the top 3-4 tandems in the NHL.

Didn't know Weegar was this good, as I haven't watched many panthers games this year. Will keep an eye on him next game. :)

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Be careful, you might get banned from their boards. I was posting positive things about Florida in the NYI/FLA gameday thread earlier only to get banned from the thread, and only then realising that it was in the NYI team board rather than the game thread on the main boards :laugh:

That’s actually hilarious. I thought the GDT’s on the main board were just general and not team specific. Good to know.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
That’s actually hilarious. I thought the GDT’s on the main board were just general and not team specific. Good to know.
The GDT's on the main board ARE general. The thing was that I accidentally went to the GDT in the NYI board. They didn't really appreciate my posts celebrating Florida's goals or congratulating them for a good PK haha

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

I just lurk, I think it's super disrespectful to post in other teams boards during their down-swings.

Reactions: Richard88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad