2019/2020 Advanced Stats / Analytics Tracker

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'm going to preface this by saying I dont know if this is a fair way to look at things, because I havent had time to really look at other teams. But here's some data from the RAPM tables that are the numbers used in the charts.

Looking at players who played here this year and last year maybe we can get an idea of Krueger's impact. The numbers are the difference between this season and last season. So positive means improvement, negative means they got worse.

upload_2019-12-13_15-24-46.png

I think its a good sign to see that overall each of these metrics have improved team-wide

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
And with all the attention WAR/GAR got last year and this offseason, its worth noting Eichel is 5th in GAR and 3rd in even strength GAR

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Their model is obviously broken, the 14-15 sabres team as the worst I've seen probably since the Pens tank effort for Lemieux. :laugh:

Seriously though, I checked back and noticed that the 14-15 Sabres team actually had 99.6% PDO (this year's Detroit team is rocking a completely unsustainable 96%). So that Sabres team with historically bad metrics was actually not unlucky.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Their model is obviously broken, the 14-15 sabres team as the worst I've seen probably since the Pens tank effort for Lemieux. :laugh:

Seriously though, I checked back and noticed that the 14-15 Sabres team actually had 99.6% PDO (this year's Detroit team is rocking a completely unsustainable 96%). So that Sabres team with historically bad metrics was actually not unlucky.
Remember how we kept trading goalies because they were playing too well? :laugh:

Reactions: Fezzy126

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Why do you think so?

It's meant to tell you how good a player is above or below the average Joe that fills in. The year Hedman won the norris as an example he was either just above or below replacement level, I forget which either way it means Hedman is a fringe NHLer = a useless stat.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It's meant to tell you how good a player is above or below the average Joe that fills in. The year Hedman won the norris as an example he was either just above or below replacement level, I forget which either way it means Hedman is a fringe NHLer = a useless stat.
He was 27th among D that year. I certainly disagree with the idea that it's useless, but it's definitely awkward to use for defensemen. In general I find most models to be way better at evaluating forwards than defensemen.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I definitely wouldn't call it useless but it still doesn't indicate future performance with precision

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Its not meant to but plenty of people, that either value the metric or don't, treat it that way and it's part of the reason people can be so resistant or skeptical

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
WPG has the biggest xgf and gf% in the league, with their xgf being worst in the league. I wonder if they'll regress in performance.

Still think they could be trade partner if they start to struggle

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
The jets path looks like that of MH370

Jets lead the league in mysterious engine failures per 60.

On a serious note. The Jets are pretty much the opposite of the Sabres, they have all forwards and no defense. The Jets have something like 5 forwards better than our 2nd best forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad