2019/2020 Advanced Stats / Analytics Tracker

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
By the numbers: The significance of the season's first five...

Summary:
Basically it is statistically unlikely for a good team to have a 5 game bad stretch of xGF% and unlikely for a bad team to have a good 5 game stretch. So while the number itself is not necessarily a sign of things to come, it can tell you if the team will be a positive xGF% team or negative one with some confidence

Of course, it’s important to remember that not all five-game samples are created equally – far from it – as there will be wild differences in venue, rest and opponent quality, but even with that caveat in mind, extreme results are still very uncommon for teams at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
We rank in the top 5 in HDCF% (2nd), SCF% (5th), xGF% (4th) and rank 7th in CF%.

However I think our ranking is influenced heavily by that Pens game where these stats were really heavily tilted in our favour.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Keep posting in this thread. Don't really know too much about advanced stats but remember everyone saying last year during the 10 game winning streak that it was unsustainable and getting extremely lucky due to how bad they were. This year they look to have improved somewhat, but still getting lucky from some solid goaltending.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We rank in the top 5 in HDCF% (2nd), SCF% (5th), xGF% (4th) and rank 7th in CF%.

However I think our ranking is influenced heavily by that Pens game where these stats were really heavily tilted in our favour.

What happens if we toss that game out? Still looks pretty good, especially if we look at last year to this right?

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
By the numbers: The significance of the season's first five...

Summary:
Basically it is statistically unlikely for a good team to have a 5 game bad stretch of xGF% and unlikely for a bad team to have a good 5 game stretch. So while the number itself is not necessarily a sign of things to come, it can tell you if the team will be a positive xGF% team or negative one with some confidence

Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing this!

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
i was never one for advanced stats but over the summer i've become quite interested. its great to have all this data available. we're looking good so far. i'd expect at least some regression but i think we'll be in the wildcard hunt this year even with the limited sample size. and when we shed some of the dead weight off of the roster... man, who knows what will happen

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Pretty fascinating thread. I've noticed some abnormalities myself; On Friday's game we led in all major metrics through the 1st 2 periods yet our xGF% was still under 50%, just seemed odd. In any event, I'll be interested to see what the NHL has actually changed in their data.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Not exactly ‘advanced’ stats, but through 6 games, here’s the 4 lines gf and ga counts at 5v5:

Eichel line gf-5 ga-3
Mojo line gf-5 ga-1
Log line. gf-3 ga-2
Mitts line gf-1 ga-0

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
What I'd like to do is plot how the Sabres move on these charts over the season. Not all of them, but a few of them. Update every 10 games or so. See how they are trending.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Defense pairings - last 4 games (I'm really enjoying this tool):

upload_2019-10-17_9-4-58.png

Takeaways:
  • Dahlin struggling, despite very beneficial deployment; high o-zone starts and lower competition
  • Miller looking good in brief stints away from Dahlin
  • Risto & McCabe starting to fall back (SCF% still good though)
  • I can't believe I'm saying this, but is it time to give Marco & Joker more responsibility? :confused:

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Defense pairings - last 4 games (I'm really enjoying this tool):

View attachment 265585

Takeaways:
  • Dahlin struggling, despite very beneficial deployment; high o-zone starts and lower competition
  • Miller looking good in brief stints away from Dahlin
  • Risto & McCabe starting to fall back (SCF% still good though)
  • I can't believe I'm saying this, but is it time to give Marco & Joker more responsibility? :confused:

Very much the eye matching the stats - 6-10 needs more ToI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad