2019-20 USNTDP U17 Team

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
The 03 team looks to be good but way too early to making bold statements about where they stack up. Let them play a game first. This era we are in with the rush to declare every good player elite and every star player "generational" will only leave people disappointed. The hyperbole and rush to judgment seems to be growing each passing season with the latest players being labelled the best before they even play junior.

BTW, This team on paper is nowhere, and I mean nowhere close to the 01 program team. That whole team is better at every position.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Lucius ends up going first overall in his draft class.
Is he even clearly the top American in a deep but unspectacular crop? That’s not what I’ve been hearing. Everything I’ve read has Raty, Guenther, and Roy significantly ahead of the other forwards. What’s special about him? How does he compare to his brother?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Here is my prediction for the roster after the selection camp roster was released

While I think you go a little overboard on some of the proclamations, I enjoy your write-ups and looks (way) ahead to future draft classes and prospects. If nothing else, it's fun to start seeing some names that are worth paying attention to, whether they ultimately fulfill their promise or not. Plus your graphical presentations are very nice to look at!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
After last years issue with OHL stuff I imagine USA is going to wait until the OHL draft goes down before they finalize their rosters.

Its still nuts to me a kid would choose the OHL over the USNTDP but to each his own.
I have been saying this for years, USNDP should hold off until after the draft, let these kids see where they land prior and then make their choices.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
After last years issue with OHL stuff I imagine USA is going to wait until the OHL draft goes down before they finalize their rosters.

Its still nuts to me a kid would choose the OHL over the USNTDP but to each his own.

If I'm wanting to develop as a hockey player I might choose to go where I will be the stud. I can work the power play, kill penalties and be the man on the number one line. I can most closely mimic the NHL. It might be that as a number 3 centre with the USNDP I never get to kill penalties or work a power play, be the man or play against stronger competition. Maybe I want to play with a team that sent Bobby Orr and 5 or 6 other Hall of Famers to the NHL Just sayin'

Reactions: Dominance

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
You just know London is gonna pull some bs tomorrow and try and lure someone over there. Wouldn't be surprised if they go for Roman Schmidt to try and get him.

Reactions: beaverjc

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
If I'm wanting to develop as a hockey player I might choose to go where I will be the stud. I can work the power play, kill penalties and be the man on the number one line. I can most closely mimic the NHL. It might be that as a number 3 centre with the USNDP I never get to kill penalties or work a power play, be the man or play against stronger competition. Maybe I want to play with a team that sent Bobby Orr and 5 or 6 other Hall of Famers to the NHL Just sayin'

Personally I think the USNTDP is miles ahead of anything any OHL team can offer. Its not close. Better facilities, better training, better coaching, international tournaments, USHL games and you keep NCAA eligibility to get an education all while representing your country. OHL cant hold a candle to that.

Last edited:

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
You just know London is gonna pull some bs tomorrow and try and lure someone over there. Wouldn't be surprised if they go for Roman Schmidt to try and get him.
I always wonder how London gets away with the stuff they do. I guess the OHL just bows down to them.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Personally I think the USNTDP is miles ahead of anything any OHL team can offer. Its not close. Better facilities, better training, better coaching, international tournaments, USHL games and you you keep NCAA eligibility to get an education all while representing your country. OHL cant hold a candle to that.

Not sure why you would think that the coaching is better. Many NHL coaches come through the CHL system. The players have access to training facilities and although they do lose their NCAA eligibility Canadian players do get university freebies. I realize that doesn't help the American kids. The calibre of competition is also higher in the CHL.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

I think more recently you have to worry about Saginaw taking Americans and getting them to report.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Don't know who will finally get invites for next years team, etc.

But heard some of the players who looked good at the try-outs are:

Chaz Lucius, Dylan Duke, Aiden Hreschuck, Ty Murchison, Jack Hughes, Luke Hughes, Chase Stillman, Colby Saganiuk, Sasha Pastujuv, Jacob Martin

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Now that the team is announced, over under on the number that end up choosing CHL in the next couple months? Over/under 1.5?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Now that the team is announced, over under on the number that end up choosing CHL in the next couple months? Over/under 1.5?

Under. It's really rare for a player to sign with the NTDP and then bolt before joining the program. Because it's so rare is a huge part in why it's such a big deal when it happens, in addition to the fact that when it does happen it involves hyped prospects like Bobby Ryan, Antonio Stranges, Jared Knight, etc.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I don't think anyone on this announced roster darts to the OHL. I think part of the reason it took so long to announce the team was a reaction to Stranges being named to the team only then to leave for London. They were probably very thorough with these kids, and got the most concrete commitments they could. In years past they've been very quick to announce the roster, probably a little too quick sometimes.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I don't think anyone on this announced roster darts to the OHL. I think part of the reason it took so long to announce the team was a reaction to Stranges being named to the team only then to leave for London. They were probably very thorough with these kids, and got the most concrete commitments they could. In years past they've been very quick to announce the roster, probably a little too quick sometimes.

This year's roster didn't come out late. Last year they announced the roster on May 4th and the year before that on April 24th. Each year the NTDP used to make a decent amount of early offers to the top targets and get an early roster going (i.e. guys like Eichel had signed with the NTDP long before they ever got to the evaluation camp), the NTDP would then release an initial roster, and then fill out the roster after evaluation camp and the USAH Select 16 player development camp. They stopped doing that a few years ago though and now they make all the offers after camp, give players a certain amount of time to decide, and then it's time to sign the contract or the NTDP will move on to other options. There's not really any more concrete of a commitment they could have received from Stranges - he signed his contract and bolted after the fact.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Is he even clearly the top American in a deep but unspectacular crop? That’s not what I’ve been hearing. Everything I’ve read has Raty, Guenther, and Roy significantly ahead of the other forwards. What’s special about him? How does he compare to his brother?
I'm not sure, but has put up numbers that have way surpassed some very well known minnesota names. Did you hear those players were way better at camp? What's so special about them?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I'm not sure, but has put up numbers that have way surpassed some very well known minnesota names. Did you hear those players were way better at camp? What's so special about them?
Oh, I mean that those are the forwards who are pretty much unanimously considered to be at the top of the draft class right now.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Oh, I mean that those are the forwards who are pretty much unanimously considered to be at the top of the draft class right now.

2021 is a weird class. Lots of talent all over the place but no one that has truly separated themselves from the pack yet. Usually by this time of the year two years out from a draft we can typically pick a handful of names and say at least one of these kids are going to go top 10 or even 1st round. But with the amount of talent out there I don't think anyone is even a surefire bet to be a top 10 pick yet. We'll start to know more as next season plays out in Junior leagues around the world but at this point I'd be hesitant to label anyone a top 10 pick and literally no one is a lock to go top 3.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
2021 is a weird class. Lots of talent all over the place but no one that has truly separated themselves from the pack yet. Usually by this time of the year two years out from a draft we can typically pick a handful of names and say at least one of these kids are going to go top 10 or even 1st round. But with the amount of talent out there I don't think anyone is even a surefire bet to be a top 10 pick yet. We'll start to know more as next season plays out in Junior leagues around the world but at this point I'd be hesitant to label anyone a top 10 pick and literally no one is a lock to go top 3.
Yeah, sure, it’s just that everything I’ve read has Raty, Guenther, and Roy as the cream of the forward crop right now, which is why I was interested that the one fellow believed that Lucius would go first overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad