2019-20 USNTDP U17 Team

KRSYing

Nov 10, 2018
Oshawa
Looking for any names that stand out as players that could make the US Development Program. Players eligible must be American (duh) and also born in 2003. These prospects would be eligible for the 2021 or 2022 NHL Draft.

As a Chicago native the guys that stand out to me are:

Jack Devine - Chicago Mission U15 - Oct 1, 2003 - Center - 2022 NHL Draft
Devine is pretty much a 100% guarantee to make the team. In the he leads the HPHL U15 league in scoring with a 2.22 PPG compared to the #2 guy who has a 1.67. Devine is heavily used on by a Chicago Mission team that is already ridiculously good. Devine gets a lot of ice time and rotates through diffeeent line mates, but mostly plays with Jack Silich. He’s committed to the Univ. of Denver and will be on the USNTDP. He’s clearly one of the best players eligible for this NTDP class.

Davis Burnside - Chicago Mission U15 - Sep 22, 2003 - Center - 2022 Draft
Super skilled, physical center that hasn’t great hand eye coordination and is super smart. He’s the 2nd leading scorer in the HPHL with that 1.67 PPG. Burnside is the Chicago Mission’s 2nd lone center behind Devine. It’s worth noting that the entirety of the top 5 HPHL scorers are on Mission. Committed to Ohio State. He’s a near lock for the NTDP but not as much as Devine.

Alexander Babich - Chicago Mission U15 - March 13, 2003 - Forward - 2021 Draft
Tied for 2nd leading scorer on Mission and in the HPHL with Burnside . Uncommitted but it’s unknown if he intends to commit or if he wants to play in the NCAA. Pure playmaker, should shoot more though. Defiantly a contender for the program, but Burnside and Devine are the real locks for the team. There is a drop off after Devine and Burnside, but Babich and the next few are still real good players.

Jack Silich - Who do you think he plays for? - June 20, 2003 - Right Aing - 2021 Draft
Silich is Devine’s line mate and benefits a lot from the set ups he gets from Devine. Silich is mainly a goalscorer, but can set up pretty well. Committed to Quinnipiac.

Dominick Rivelli - Chicago Mission U15 - August ??, 2003 - Wing - 2021 Draft
Miami Ohio commit with a lot of skill. Solid player for Mission, but isn’t seen a lot because of the calibre of his teammates.

Luke Hughes - Little Ceasers U15 - Sep 09, 2003 - Defense - 2021 NHL Draft
Brother of Quinn and Jack Hughes. Already committed to the Univ of Michigan. Probably the least of the three brothers but is still a solid player.

Reactions: JiggsNY

KRSYing

Nov 10, 2018
Oshawa
Jeremy Wilmer and Dylan Gratton also have a very high likelihood of making the NTDP. Plus Thomas Heaney in goal. Although I know little about them. Any info?

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I've read a couple early articles about Chaz Lucius in Minnesota. 40 points in 9 games this year so far. Don't know how accurate those stats are.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Are there any hyped Americans that are going to be coming up through the program that could potentially challenge for 1st overall in the 2020,2021 and 2022 drafts?

KRSYing

Nov 10, 2018
Oshawa
Dylan Duke, Tyler Boucher, Sasha Pastujov, Colby Saganiuk, Justin Janicke, Sean Behrens, Luke Mittelstadt, Roman Schmidt, etc.
Are you sure Roman Schmidt is eligible to be on the USNTDP? He’s Canadian to my knowledge. I could be completely wrong though. Because if he is then he’s a 100% lock for the team.

KRSYing

Nov 10, 2018
Oshawa
Are there any hyped Americans that are going to be coming up through the program that could potentially challenge for 1st overall in the 2020,2021 and 2022 drafts?
2020 belongs to Alexis Lafreniére and Noel Gunler

2021 goes to Jesper Wallstedt in my mind, but a team might not want a goalie 1st overall, even though I think he’s the Connor McDavid of goalies. 2021 is up in the air, but there isn’t an American rated to highly yet.

2022 is a two horse race between Matthew Savoie and Shane Wright. Nobody compares to those two.

There are some really good American prospects like Jack Devine, Ty Smilanic, and a few others. But none are in contention for 1st at this time. But those drafts are years away. 2021 is where an American could sneak into contention, but there isn’t much of a chance in 2020 and Wright/Savoie aren’t getting knocked off the top in 2022 for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: JiggsNY

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
2020 belongs to Alexis Lafreniére and Noel Gunler

2021 goes to Jesper Wallstedt in my mind, but a team might not want a goalie 1st overall, even though I think he’s the Connor McDavid of goalies. 2021 is up in the air, but there isn’t an American rated to highly yet.

2022 is a two horse race between Matthew Savoie and Shane Wright. Nobody compares to those two.

There are some really good American prospects like Jack Devine, Ty Smilanic, and a few others. But none are in contention for 1st at this time. But those drafts are years away. 2021 is where an American could sneak into contention, but there isn’t much of a chance in 2020 and Wright/Savoie aren’t getting knocked off the top in 2022 for the foreseeable future.
Yeah that's pretty much my outlook from afar as well. Canada looks like they will have some high end talent coming down the pipeline in the early 2020's. I agree if there is any year an American could go 1st it is 2021 as there are a ton of names up front, but no clear cut favourite.

Otherwise it might take until 2023 for an american to follow up Jack Hughes, But even early on in that draft Canadians like Bedard and Fantilli are making noise.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Like mentioned already, Jeremy Wilmer and Dylan Gratton both have very good chances of making the team.

Jeremy Wilmer at eliteprospects.com

Wilmer leads T1EHL players with 37 points in 13 games with North Jersey Avs. A ppg of 2.85, the next highest in the league is an 02 with a 2.14. And in AYHL play he has 23 points in 8 games, which is second (by one point) in the league but he has played in 6 less games than the leader. I think Wilmer is a near lock.

Gratton has been near a ppg player as an 03 defenseman. He's highly regarded.

Dylan Gratton at eliteprospects.com

A little unrelated, but the NJ Avs team's second leading scorer is an 04 born, Devin Kaplan. I believe he plays with Wilmer. Impressive numbers for a 14 year old in those leagues. reason to keep an eye on

Devin Kaplan at eliteprospects.com

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I've seen Devin Kaplan and he's very impressive. Big, smart, skilled

I don't think Schmidt being at the US camp necessarily means he's leaning that way.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Also, there's a lot of really good 04s coming down the pipe for the USA. Deep year for them(from what i've seen)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I've seen Devin Kaplan and he's very impressive. Big, smart, skilled

I don't think Schmidt being at the US camp necessarily means he's leaning that way.

That's not why I said he's leaning towards USAH. That said, he's a teenager, so his allegiance could change day by day.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
OMG that’s enormous. Roman Schmidt going to the USNTDP would be insane. I thought he’d head off the the OHL along with his DMF teammates. Schmidt is an amazing player.
I remember many going crazy over Michael Campoli and him heading to the USNDP...Some thought he was a top 10-20 pick at the time...be very careful with some of these kids, they have a long way to go and many of these duals seem to fizzle out overall in hockey...Schmidt definitely looks intriguing as a player though, he will be one to follow moving forward.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Like mentioned already, Jeremy Wilmer and Dylan Gratton both have very good chances of making the team.

Jeremy Wilmer at eliteprospects.com

Wilmer leads T1EHL players with 37 points in 13 games with North Jersey Avs. A ppg of 2.85, the next highest in the league is an 02 with a 2.14. And in AYHL play he has 23 points in 8 games, which is second (by one point) in the league but he has played in 6 less games than the leader. I think Wilmer is a near lock.

A little unrelated, but the NJ Avs team's second leading scorer is an 04 born, Devin Kaplan. I believe he plays with Wilmer. Impressive numbers for a 14 year old in those leagues. reason to keep an eye on

Devin Kaplan at eliteprospects.com

Wilmer is a 2021 Boston University commit, as is Roman Schmidt.
Kaplan is a 2022 BU commit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad