2019-20 UEFA Europa League

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I would rather win the Europa League than get knocked out in the UCL QF, but I think I'd take a UCL semi over a Europa League win.
Europa League is nice to win and it's still a good accomplishment, but it also means you either didn't qualify for the CL through the league or lost in the group stage of the CL.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I would rather win the Europa League than get knocked out in the UCL QF, but I think I'd take a UCL semi over a Europa League win.

It's easy to say that, but would you say it going into the QF tie. I imagine you'd want to know the opponent first. Like I said, parachuting down would be fine with me, but probably not trading it for a QF berth. Of course seeing the future of Barça in my own crystal ball I'll take parachuting down to the EL all day long for a few years.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Normally the CL-last 16 over EL Winner! Theoratical you can relegated frem Groupstage(3rd) and win the EL.

Last edited:
Reactions: AB13

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean the idea is to win trophies... so give me a trophy over anything but context matters. If your team is winning trophies regularly I don’t think you can shoo away a Europa. Not local fans anyway. NA maybe.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I mean the idea is to win trophies... so give me a trophy over anything but context matters. If your team is winning trophies regularly I don’t think you can shoo away a Europa. Not local fans anyway. NA maybe.
I don't think anyone is shooing it away, it's still a great accomplishment and Sevilla winning it so much is a massive achievement. Regularly getting deeper into the CL though means you are a better club compared to your peers than always being in EL competition though, that's all. Sevilla is probably the best run 2nd tier club there is, but they are still in that 2nd tier.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
It's easy to say that, but would you say it going into the QF tie. I imagine you'd want to know the opponent first. Like I said, parachuting down would be fine with me, but probably not trading it for a QF berth. Of course seeing the future of Barça in my own crystal ball I'll take parachuting down to the EL all day long for a few years.
Depends on which kind of club you are supporting. If you are one of the few biggest clubs in the world and you have a budget to try to win the Champions League then the Europa is nice but once in say 10 years...For the rest of the clubs in Europe it's the biggest trophy they have a "chance" of winning. Since I follow European Competitions UEFA-Europa has mostly always been very exciting and full of memorable finals. I might get rid of the 3rd place CL dropouts though. Then again I would get rid of the group stages altogether.

The obvious laughing stock joke is a team like Arsenal which have the money but can't win either!

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Depends on which kind of club you are supporting. If you are one of the few biggest clubs in the world and you have a budget to try to win the Champions League then the Europa is nice but once in say 10 years...For the rest of the clubs in Europe it's the biggest trophy they have a "chance" of winning. Since I follow European Competitions UEFA-Europa has mostly always been very exciting and full of memorable finals.

Absolutely. Though to some extent even a club that doesn't have the budget to "try" to win the CL might not make the trade off. While they didn't win, a side like last year's Ajax would have never made the SF then. Anyway, I generally agree and about the excitement factor of the EL.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Absolutely. Though to some extent even a club that doesn't have the budget to "try" to win the CL might not make the trade off. While they didn't win, a side like last year's Ajax would have never made the SF then. Anyway, I generally agree and about the excitement factor of the EL.
I like the fact that the stories write themselves each year...Ask Liverpool fans if they didn't enjoy their UEFA win in 2001 or the 2016 journey...
What we see though is come the knockouts rounds even the bigger clubs send their A team.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
But the "trade off" isn't a choice, teams play to win, of course they will do everything they can to go as deep as they can in the Champions League but if they drop off or start in the Europa most times clubs will give it their all. The last 4 this year were all qualified for next year CL Group stage and they all gave it their 100%,

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't think anyone is shooing it away, it's still a great accomplishment and Sevilla winning it so much is a massive achievement. Regularly getting deeper into the CL though means you are a better club compared to your peers than always being in EL competition though, that's all. Sevilla is probably the best run 2nd tier club there is, but they are still in that 2nd tier.
I can confidently say Sevilla is better run than some teams in the CL. Sure they’ll never make waves to that competition without some massive luck but winning a trophy has to mean more than an early QF exist yearly. Say for example Arsenal winning Europa should be a priority same with Spurs who havent won in years anything worthy.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I like the fact that the stories write themselves each year...Ask Liverpool fans if they didn't enjoy their UEFA win in 2001 or the 2016 journey...
What we see though is come the knockouts rounds even the bigger clubs send their A team.

Of course, but we're talking hypothetically here and if you read the posts largely in hindsight as I noted.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Winning is overrated. Especially if you can lose while performing a whole bunch of nutmegs, through balls and long stretches of one touch passes.

In fact, I can’t wait until the governing bodies and heads of this sport come to their senses and declare winners based on a a style/technique points system with judges. Like figure skating.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes Lyon takes the Europa League.
But with this format, you have to keep in mind the EL winners are usually the second to worst team of one of the CL group. So that hurts the prestige. It's like a consolation round.
With the previous format, the UEFA Cup was extremely hard to win. 2nd, 3rd of major leagues etc...

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Winning is overrated. Especially if you can lose while performing a whole bunch of nutmegs, through balls and long stretches of one touch passes.

In fact, I can’t wait until the governing bodies and heads of this sport come to their senses and declare winners based on a a style/technique points system with judges. Like figure skating.

Did you see that winning goal?!?

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Big game player. Too bad there were no such games in Newcastle, lol.

Sobs.

It's Jon Dahl Tomasson all over again - the difference being that Tomasson at NUFC looked like a good player short of confidence in a team not structured to bring the best out of him. De Jong looked like a plank.

In fairness the Newcastle team De Jong was stuck in had practically given up playing football altogether. And I suppose his confidence was low following his miserable 18 months at Gladbach.

Even so, one wonders what's next - Emmanuel Riviere to join PSG and score 20 in next season's Champions League?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I can confidently say Sevilla is better run than some teams in the CL. Sure they’ll never make waves to that competition without some massive luck but winning a trophy has to mean more than an early QF exist yearly. Say for example Arsenal winning Europa should be a priority same with Spurs who havent won in years anything worthy.

This. As an Arsenal supporter, I'd be thrilled if they won EL.

As a Real supporter, I would cry myself to sleep if they even played ONE EL game.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Yes Lyon takes the Europa League.
But with this format, you have to keep in mind the EL winners are usually the second to worst team of one of the CL group. So that hurts the prestige. It's like a consolation round.
With the previous format, the UEFA Cup was extremely hard to win. 2nd, 3rd of major leagues etc...
Yes right! The former UEFA-Cup before f.e. 30 Years was a very hard tournament. For me more the most diffcult cup then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad