2019-20 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'd like our AHL club to show they're dominating games if we're talking about AHL prospects "earning" a cup of joe on the NHL ice. Right now, the AHL club isn't even earning praise. For that, I'm very worried. Thank goodness it's still early and we can use the excuse of infusing a new coach (Dineen) along with so many new faces.

Reactions: Paul4587 and HansH

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
What's going on with the team this year in your opinion?
Thanks for asking. It's way too early to say that this four-game slump is indicative of what's going to be going on with the team for the whole year. It may just be that for whatever reason, this roster is finding it harder to gel as quickly as the rosters they've faced so far. There could be coaching deficiencies that I don't yet see. The personnel may just end up not being up to the mark that last year's roster set. And frankly, I'm not smart enough to pull reasonable conclusions from the two games I've watched - all I've got is the fan in me going "ouch, that didn't look good - I hope they figure it out". Maybe after a few more games, I can have a bit more intelligent analysis :)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Dineen is a great coach, especially at the AHL level. I have no doubt they’ll turn it around. Hopefully they get at least one of Jones/Comtois to help them out soon.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
None of us play for the Gulls so we have no idea what is going on in their lockeroom if whether Dineen has lost them or their not buying into him.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
None of us play for the Gulls so we have no idea what is going on in their lockeroom if whether Dineen has lost them or their not buying into him.
What are you even saying here....

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What are you even saying here....
Its a reply to the assumption that 'Dineen is a great coach' when none of us have ever played for him or know whats going on in SD's locker room.
If the players are indeed playing selfish in SD, then they don't appear to be listening to the coach & that is on him to make them listen.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Its a reply to the assumption that 'Dineen is a great coach' when none of us have ever played for him or know whats going on in SD's locker room.
If the players are indeed playing selfish in SD, then they don't appear to be listening to the coach & that is on him to make them listen.

Dineen has been there 4 games - how could they have tuned him out already?

I know he’s a great coach because he’s coached our farm team before and has a great track record of player development. Getzlaf and Perry loved him. He’s also one of two coaches who managed to get the Panthers into the playoffs over the past 20 years.

What has he done to you to make you write him off before he’s even started here?

Also if we are judging coaches based on small portions of seasons then Eakins wouldn’t be here - the Gulls got off to some horrific starts under his watch.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Gulls lost 6-2. On the plus side, they didn't let the opposing score 5 goals again for the fourth game in a row. The opposing team scored 6 goals. LoL

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
They need to figure out how to get Sprong involved in the game. Benoit and Wideman were the only ones who scored tonight you know its bad when your defense has all the goals.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Gulls lose again in Ontario, this time 3-2. Wasn’t there, no more insight on what’s going on with this team - who are now 31st in the AHL standings, and the only team not to register at least one win.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Gulls lose again in Ontario, this time 3-2. Wasn’t there, no more insight on what’s going on with this team - who are now 31st in the AHL standings, and the only team not to register at least one win.

Just based upon the goals allowed in this game, I'd say the Gulls had an improvement. It's the first time in four games that they didn't give up 5 or more goals.

I went to the official website and read the recap. (Link) I like the quote given by C Morand:

“I think we played our best game of the season, but we keep making the same mistakes that cost us the game,” said Morand following the game. “It’s hard to stay positive, but we just have to grind make sure we find our way to the victory. I think it was a good step forward tonight and we will keep building on the good things and make sure we don’t make the same mistakes.”

I'll take this assessment. The players know they're making the same mistakes, but they're also improving. I guess that's all we can ask for on a team lacking a large contingent of top end talent at the AHL level.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Who has been sent down recently anyone? Mahura didn't do much while he was here so who is going to slot in for his position?

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
really disappointing to see sprong so far down on the depth chart in the AHL. he really needs to mature or he's gonna bust

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Sprong being centered by Broadhurst on the 3rd line is setting him up to fail yet he gets a goal tonight.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Sprong being centered by Broadhurst on the 3rd line is setting him up to fail yet he gets a goal tonight.

really disappointing to see sprong so far down on the depth chart in the AHL. he really needs to mature or he's gonna bust

The Gulls roll 4 lines evenly. Same as last season. Which is why in last years playoffs you had a "4th line" that consisted of Comtois and Lundestrom. I wouldn't read anything into how the lines are ordered on the Gulls twitter account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad