2019/20 Roster Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
It is looking more and more like we ain't signing Hog or Bern to elc,s .

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Not someday for Zamula. Starting day 1. Robert Hagg getting ice time instead of Egor Zamula would be egregious. It's seriously not close.

We're talking about Robert Hagg here. Literally the worst statistical defenseman in hockey. The total antithesis of a modern day puck-mover.

Think back to the single preseason game Zamula played this season. He was legitimately the best, or 2nd best, player on the ice for us that game. Robert Hagg hasn't sniffed looking like that at any point in his entire career.

Edit:
I dug up @Magua & @FLYguy3911 quotes
from that GDT.
Sure they could risk kids like Zamula being ready on day one without a single pro game, however they wont and for good reason. It's needlessly risky and threatens his development. The kids should play in the AHL for a while, get used to being a pro and see how they handle it. If they are too good for that level it will become apparent, but they should be given the best chance for success and not thrown into the deep end right off the bat. Precious few defenseman are good enough to jump right into the NHL and he isn't that level of prospect if we are being rational about this.

I think Friedman can be one of the 6/7 guys, and he has earned that chance, but you still need another guy you can rely on (not Morin unfortunately). If they sign someone else to replace Hagg (and Braun) then that's one thing but then the proposed cap savings don't occur.

In any case, if Braun would take 2 mil for a year as mentioned then I would be OK with flipping Hagg for a pick but I definitely want to ease the rookies in and not go back to the 'development' style of the Clarke GM era where it was sink or swim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asnito

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
This is so shortsighted and it has been proven time and time again.
It's a business and they want to have a good team to sell tickets... even more so now. You're not wrong but you need both the farm and the right now team. This team is good right now and it's good mgmt to make sure there is enough depth to maintain that as the kids develop.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
A draft pick has never been used to acquire an NHL player. I definitely can't think of a recent example on the Flyers. It is much better to acquire a Ryan Hartman, who gets non-tendered 4 months later. At least you can say you got an #NHLPlayer.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
A draft pick has never been used to acquire an NHL player. I definitely can't think of a recent example on the Flyers. It is much better to acquire a Ryan Hartman, who gets non-tendered 4 months later. At least you can say you got an #NHLPlayer.
This is sarcasm right? ;)

Reactions: Asnito

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Sure they could risk kids like Zamula being ready on day one without a single pro game, however they wont and for good reason.

Read it again. I never argued Zamula should be on the roster day 1. I argued that he would be a better player than Hagg on day 1. Big difference.

Even if we do the wise thing and sell high on the PDO king for draft picks, it still leaves Zamula in the AHL to start.

Provorov - Niskanen
Sanheim - Myers
Ghost - Braun/Friedman

Reactions: bennysflyers16

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Read it again. I never argued Zamula should be on the roster day 1. I argued that he would be a better player than Hagg on day 1. Big difference.

Even if we do the wise thing and sell high on the PDO king for draft picks, it still leaves Zamula in the AHL to start.

Provorov - Niskanen
Sanheim - Myers
Ghost - Braun/Friedman

Braun isn't signed though and it's very questionable if he will be. If he were that would assuage any depth concerns I have. They just need one more reliable NHL top 6 (pref top 5) capable guy for one season, and not just a cheap #7 since that's basically what Friedman is. Braun would be perfect if they could swing it and he was interested. He'll prob want the best and longest contract he can get though and I don't blame him.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Braun isn't signed though and it's very questionable if he will be. If he were that would assuage any depth concerns I have. They just need one more reliable NHL top 6 (pref top 5) capable guy for one season, and not just a cheap #7 since that's basically what Friedman is. Braun would be perfect if they could swing it and he was interested. He'll prob want the best and longest contract he can get though and I don't blame him.
I don't see any way they can resign Braun. Someone is going to give him more money than we can afford, given the premium on vet RHS Dmen, and Ghost and Hagg already there to be 5/6.

Same really goes for Pitlick. Played himself out of town. Had a great rebound season, but they know he's gone, so they signed Sandin, have NAK blossoming and have a few guys in AHL and new signings pushing for RW spots.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
For some reason whenever I do that the thread is missing tons of posts...

It's missing posts only when you open it in an Incognito Tab? You're not looking at Cached versions, right? The only thing that should be missing are posts from the previous ~30 Mins.

If you're not opening in Incognito, it's linking to the wrong page of the thread.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I don't see any way they can resign Braun. Someone is going to give him more money than we can afford, given the premium on vet RHS Dmen, and Ghost and Hagg already there to be 5/6.

Same really goes for Pitlick. Played himself out of town. Had a great rebound season, but they know he's gone, so they signed Sandin, have NAK blossoming and have a few guys in AHL and new signings pushing for RW spots.
Depends on what they're looking for. Braun's 33. He hasn't many prime years left. He may see this team as his best chance to win the Cup.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

If we do strike out on signing Braun, it doesn't preclude us from acquiring someone else to fight it out with Friedman for the 6th spot. That should be obvious.

I disagree with you alluding to Friedman as nothing more than a cheap #7. You're being way too risk averse imo. He'd, more or less, be replacing Hagg's roster spot. Friedman has shown enough that choosing him over Hagg should not be controversial.

Hagg is not solid, reliable, or whatever other platitude one may prefer. He is a gigantic liability. Selling him now to a rube GM while the PDO God's are smiling upon him is a no-brainer.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's missing posts only when you open it in an Incognito Tab? You're not looking at Cached versions, right? The only thing that should be missing are posts from the previous ~30 Mins.

If you're not opening in Incognito, it's linking to the wrong page of the thread.

Yeah, if I'm trying to see the posts of someone I'm ignoring I'll open the thread in an Incognito tab, go to the thread, then go to the last page of that thread, and it'll often (not always) be missing a handful of the most recent posts and sometimes other random posts too.

So, for example, here's the Coronavirus thread. On the left is a normal tab, on the right is Incognito. It's missing the last seven posts (and I opened them at the same time).

cfd954f423a2bc22dda328fd1493d52d.png

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad