2019/20 Roster Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
So your priority is harming the team to spite people on the internet, not seeing them take steps to make winning a Cup as likely as possible?
Priority isn’t the word I would use, though seeing you and many others lose their sh$t would be rather entertaining

Reactions: ybnvs

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not someday for Zamula. Starting day 1. Robert Hagg getting ice time instead of Egor Zamula would be egregious. It's seriously not close.

We're talking about Robert Hagg here. Literally the worst statistical defenseman in hockey. The total antithesis of a modern day puck-mover.

Think back to the single preseason game Zamula played this season. He was legitimately the best, or 2nd best, player on the ice for us that game. Robert Hagg hasn't sniffed looking like that at any point in his entire career.

Edit:
I dug up @Magua & @FLYguy3911 quotes
from that GDT.

There's no question Zamula is ready mentally, but after back surgery, and he was malnourished before surgery, can he hold up for a 82 (or whatever) game season? I wouldn't want to go into next season depending on him, I'd rather he start at LHV, and if he shows he's ready, benches a marginal #6 defenseman.

No, he's not statistically the worse defenseman in the league, close but no cigar.
Last season, minimum 500 5x5 minutes (197 players):

Hagg: 170th xGF% (197th xGFrel), 183rd CF% (197th CFrel), 50th in pp/60,

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
There's no question Zamula is ready mentally, but after back surgery, and he was malnourished before surgery, can he hold up for a 82 (or whatever) game season?

How could anyone possibly know this who isn’t directly familiar with his eating habits?

Reactions: ybnvs

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean... malnourished is going a bit far.

But Zamula is extremely skinny for his frame. Big coat-hanger shoulders but out of pads looks like a ~17 year old or so.

But I guess can probably be ~190lbs or so by the time the season starts. And that, while not ideal, is not the end of the world. Elias Pettersson is still basically in a 17 year olds body...

I think he does need AHL time. He is not at Sanheim's level at 20 years old... and while a similar level to Myers at that age is not as physically developed, and even though Myers was arguably ready for NHL earlier than he was used there it did take him a year of AHL to be ~readyish.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I mean... malnourished is going a bit far.

But Zamula is extremely skinny for his frame. Big coat-hanger shoulders but out of pads looks like a ~17 year old or so.

But I guess can probably be ~190lbs or so by the time the season starts. And that, while not ideal, is not the end of the world. Elias Pettersson is still basically in a 17 year olds body...

I think he does need AHL time. He is not at Sanheim's level at 20 years old... and while a similar level to Myers at that age is not as physically developed, and even though Myers was arguably ready for NHL earlier than he was used there it did take him a year of AHL to be ~readyish.

He's more advanced mentally than Sanheim at his age, but physically needs to get to 21 year old Sanheim.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
In the DZ he maybe is. And ahead of Myers as well at same age in DZ.

But in the NZ and OZ I doubt he will ever be Sanheim level.
Sanheim suffers from the same stereotype Ghost does, where the fact that he's great offensively means his defense gets underrated.

Reactions: BiggE

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sanheims blueline defense still needs work. Myers is now ahead of him there.

But pretty much every other aspect of hockey he is damn good at.
Sure, I didn’t mean to imply that he’s perfect. Of course he isn’t.

I’m just saying that all his flaws get exaggerated and others get fabricated. That’s why any new defensemen who is worse offensively will be automatically assumed to be better defensively (whether it’s true or not). It’s a pattern we’ve seen with all skilled players on this roster. :laugh:

Reactions: Adtar02 and BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In the DZ he maybe is. And ahead of Myers as well at same age in DZ.

But in the NZ and OZ I doubt he will ever be Sanheim level.

That is probably due to two things:
1) Zamula, like Provorov, seems to have been schooled defense first, we've seen Provorov start to break out offensively this season
2) Sanheim is simply more talented offensively than Zamula

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd have expected Myers and Niskanen to be swapped otherwise yeah, that matches what we've seen on ice.

Including Hagg being right at the border of getting eternally trapped in his end while shooting too damned much.
Yup, this was what caused M A to be L O. He's just such a disaster.

Provorov, Ghost, Myers, and Sanheim and all great. If it wasn't for bad staff and the expansion draft we'd be in amazing shape for the near and intermediate future.

Also, G and TK are gods. I can't even explain how depressing it is to know that we're nearing the end of the Giroux era.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ah, but we're beginning the Farabee, Frost, York and Brink era.
And with any luck and the forbearance of the Hockey Gods, we'll finally get Patrick and Lindblom back.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Sanheims blueline defense still needs work. Myers is now ahead of him there.

But pretty much every other aspect of hockey he is damn good at.
Yup, plus he’s so good in transition and on offense that, as he and Myers mature as a pair, they aren’t going to be spending much time in the D zone anyway!

re Zamula: he definitely needs to get stronger and will likely spend most if not all of 20-21 in the AHL. I do expect him to be playing for the Flyers though in 21-22.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'd have expected Myers and Niskanen to be swapped otherwise yeah, that matches what we've seen on ice.

Including Hagg being right at the border of getting eternally trapped in his end while shooting too damned much.

With someone like Niskanen, I would look at percentages of Entries being Controlled instead of rates since that’s where his partner shines most. There are only so many opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad