2019/20 Roster Thread XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He's talking about the Hakshell.

Flyers Mailbag: Biggest change from last season, ideal line...

I’ve been very impressed with the Flyers’ ability to keep pressing, even with the lead. All too often in 2018-19 (and in prior years as well), they’d seem to lose their edge when protecting slim advantages, particularly in third periods. It led to some truly backbreaking losses. But this season, they’ve generated 59.22 percent of the shot attempts when leading by a goal at 5-on-5, a staggering rate considering the nature of score effects — trailing teams tend to take more risks, and in turn, typically controlling the shots-on-goal battle (while leaving themselves more open to dangerous counterattacks, which, of course, is the trade-off). Thus far, the Flyers haven’t succumbed to that effect, which is a testament to their relentless play.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I
Being unbiased would have been good but he can't come into camp ignorant of the players he's supposed to organize. It's literally his job to use them as best as he can... if he doesn't know about them then he can't do that.

For example, if he was educated on the players and their history then he'd know key things that should never have needed to be experimented with. Like that Hagg doesn't belong in the NHL, Ghost isn't a 3rd pair defensemen, the Giroux-Couturier-TK line is our best, Provorov-Ghost was an elite pairing, Braun isn't a top 4 defensemen, Provorov and Niskanen don't belong on the PP, GIROUX AND VORACEK NEED TO BE IN THE CORRECT PLACES ON THE POWERPLAY, and a bunch of other simple things he has no excuse to get wrong if he knows anything about these players. The fact the he couldn't even put them onto lines on the first day of training camp is pretty shocking. He had to ask Fletcher to do it for him.

understand your point but I think you are taking him too literally, unless I missed some context on what AV said.

I assume he didn’t want to come in and get the opinions of fletch, Lappy or others that have been here about the players. Obviously, he is not coming in totally blind. He was a coach in the division for several years not too long ago. I am sure he broke down film and worked with the advanced scouts before games.

The Hagg thing annoys me not because he is so bad. He is bad but I have seen worse but it’s that they may have better options internally. By “May”, I mean “do”.

I have a sinking feeling that Myers will brew for a good time in the A and then when they feel he is ready to step in without any ramp up needed they will trade Ghost and bring up Myers.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I

understand your point but I think you are taking him too literally, unless I missed some context on what AV said.

I assume he didn’t want to come in and get the opinions of fletch, Lappy or others that have been here about the players. Obviously, he is not coming in totally blind. He was a coach in the division for several years not too long ago. I am sure he broke down film and worked with the advanced scouts before games.

The Hagg thing annoys me not because he is so bad. He is bad but I have seen worse but it’s that they may have better options internally. By “May”, I mean “do”.

I have a sinking feeling that Myers will brew for a good time in the A and then when they feel he is ready to step in without any ramp up needed they will trade Ghost and bring up Myers.

99% sure it was reported by multiple sources that he himself said he didn't watch any hockey while not coaching last year and that he didn't watch the players over the summer because he wanted to come into training camp with "fresh eyes" or something like that.

That's why he had to have Fletcher make the lines/pairs for the first day of training camp because he admitted he didn't know the players.

I can get why AV was/is more concerned about what players are and how they do in his own scheme versus how they were playing in a college scheme before he got here.
That theoretically makes sense for certain players, but I'm talking about the obvious stuff that you can tell about players no matter what the system they're playing in is like.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
wait, i thought the Hakshell was a myth thou, hahaha

My exact thought upon reading the pull-quote. Nice to see Charlie up front about it.

I'm not a subscriber, so can someone who is please let me know when he gets to "he had no choice" and "anyone who becomes an NHL coach is infallible"?

th

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Because just like around here, there are plenty of people who dont really understand that game, and find one stat and say "well, this tells me nothing was wrong!".
BUT HE HAD A POSITIVE WIN RECORD AND MADE THE PLAYOFFS 2 OUT OF 3 YEARS?!?! ISN'T THAT HOW YOU JUDGE COACHES?!?!?!?!

Reactions: Starat327

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That theoretically makes sense for certain players, but I'm talking about the obvious stuff that you can tell about players no matter what the system they're playing in is like.

If it's so "obvious," how come the coach who is 12th in all time wins can't see it while Striiker can.

Now it could be true that certain posters are infallible and can be used as appeals to authority.
I mean all things are theoretically possible in a multiverse.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
It still amazes me how little criticism Hakstol got from the local media despite being such an obvious problem.

In non-extreme cases I would suggest he constantly talked to them, fed them leaks, gave them background, invited them over for poker and got them drunk, that kind of thing. But Hak is not exactly the wining and dining type, or really the "communicating" or "talking" kind of person.

Maybe there were a few trips to lake town for some stoic weekend wake boarding?

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
99% sure it was reported by multiple sources that he himself said he didn't watch any hockey while not coaching last year and that he didn't watch the players over the summer because he wanted to come into training camp with "fresh eyes" or something like that.

That's why he had to have Fletcher make the lines/pairs for the first day of training camp because he admitted he didn't know the players.

Yes but he watched and game planned for most of these guys when he coached the rags.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
AV has almost two months to see these players close up in practice, pre-season and now 8 games.
I sure he has a general idea of who fits and who doesn't at this point.

What he doesn't know is how each player will adjust to his systems the next couple months, some will get comfortable, some will struggle with the mental part, some will be exposed physically. And I think that's why he talks about patience, the process, etc. He's not ready to jump to conclusions.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
If it's so "obvious," how come the coach who is 12th in all time wins can't see it while Striiker can.

Now it could be true that certain posters are infallible and can be used as appeals to authority.
I mean all things are theoretically possible in a multiverse.

Dave Hakstol was also one of the longest tenured coaches.

List of Philadelphia Flyers head coaches - Wikipedia

Talk about not applying logic.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
But Hak is not exactly the wining and dining type, or really the "communicating" or "talking" kind of person.

Maybe there were a few trips to lake town for some stoic weekend wake boarding?

I distinctly remember when Hakstol was hired, he took the beats out for Tex-Mex. There was a picture of them all eating, but lord knows I’ve never been able to find it again.

And yes, never forget what an obsequious turd Mike Sielski is. But always thank him for opening up a whole new world of water sport memes.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I distinctly remember when Hakstol was hired, he took the beats out for Tex-Mex. There was a picture of them all eating, but lord knows I’ve never been able to find it again.

And yes, never forget what an obsequious turd Mike Sielski is. But always thank him for opening up a whole new world of water sport memes.
I got u fam

Also, it was Olive Garden

Voila_Capture-2015-08-13_12-42-20_PM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad