2019-20 Roster Thread XIII: The Roster Molding Molds On

Status
Not open for further replies.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Is Hayes trade protection only for 3 years (until the ED)?
I don’t like NTC and NMC even less but if it is limited to while he is still in his prime years that isn’t too bad.
Giroux’s next contract will be interesting. I believe his current ends in 2 years.
Hayes is nmc protected through the ED.

Couturier is the interesting contract in 3 years @ 30 years old.

Reactions: lancer247

Skizwald

Feb 1, 2016
Philadelphia
Based on ‘level of competition’, this tournament and the WJC (non summer showcase) tournament is rated one of the toughest comp per skill level. Harder than the KHL, AHL, SHL, and so on. Don’t take any tournament with top tier prospects with a grain of salt just because we have some good ones in it.
View attachment 246889
This came from 2014-2016... in that timeframe. NCAA definitely passed a bunch, and the WC gained ~.2 while the KHL fell and so did the SHL.

Seeing a playing, regardless if it’s a flyers prospect or not, do well shows how they handle tough competition.

I think you may be mixed up a little bit. The World Junior Championship isnt on this chart.

The World Championship, on this chart, is the IIHF World Championship for the senior players, and the World Cup was the tournament they held a couple years ago before the start of the season.

Currently the WJC summer showcase is going on, which isn't on the chart either.

I found the website this was from. They do mention that less NHL players play in the Olympics and World Championships, and that's why they are lower than the World Cup and NHL.

I do agree that tournaments like this do often show how well players play against harder competition.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I think you may be mixed up a little bit. The World Junior Championship isnt on this chart.

The World Championship, on this chart, is the IIHF World Championship for the senior players, and the World Cup was the tournament they held a couple years ago before the start of the season.

Currently the WJC summer showcase is going on, which isn't on the chart either.

I found the website this was from. They do mention that less NHL players play in the Olympics and World Championships, and that's why they are lower than the World Cup and NHL.

I do agree that tournaments like this do often show how well players play against harder competition.
The same person who did this website has it listed under further ones too. After a long time searching I found his site on reddit and he has the sequential ordering after 2016. To find the chart I went back to the site you referenced.

He does note that WJC and all is under the same IIHF standards.

Last edited:

Skizwald

Feb 1, 2016
Philadelphia
The same person who did this website has it listed under further ones too. After a long time searching I found his site on reddit and he has the sequential ordering after 2016. To find the chart I went back to the site you referenced.

He does note that WJC and all is under the same IIHF standards.

Because of his mention of NHL players not playing in the WC, I incorrectly assumed he excluded the junior tournies.

He has some very interesting takes on NHL equivalency. I'll see if I can also find his Reddit.

Kind of funny that he uses Christian Folin as the example of how his algorithm is formed.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Because of his mention of NHL players not playing in the WC, I incorrectly assumed he excluded the junior tournies.

He has some very interesting takes on NHL equivalency. I'll see if I can also find his Reddit.

Kind of funny that he uses Christian Folin as the example of how his algorithm is formed.
If I had to guess, Folin was used as the example since he played in 10 different leagues. There must be a small population of NHL players to play in 10 leagues total.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Fwiw the Summer Showcase thus far has been pretty watered down so far. Canada hasn't played a game yet. US was running split squads. Sweden is relatively weak. Soderstrom is not playing. Boqvist is not playing. Sandin is not playing. Broberg has sat out. Lundkvist got hurt. Finland doesn't have Kakko. No Kupari. Heinola got hurt, etc.

It's more of a showcase of depth.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Fwiw the Summer Showcase thus far has been pretty watered down so far. Canada hasn't played a game yet. US was running split squads. Sweden is relatively weak. Soderstrom is not playing. Boqvist is not playing. Sandin is not playing. Broberg has sat out. Lundkvist got hurt. Finland doesn't have Kakko. No Kupari. Heinola got hurt, etc.

Canada has a lot of guys out too when they do get there. Ty Dellandrea, Barrett Hayton, Cole Fonstad, Dylan Cozens, Peyton Krebs, Noah Dobson, Jared McIsaac, & Ty Smith are all out. Some injury related & others seem to be related to chances of cracking an NHL roster.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

It's more of a showcase of depth.

Isn’t it kinda always that way? Real games start later this week, or as “real” as the games get.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Isn’t it kinda always that way? Real games start later this week, or as “real” as the games get.
Kinda. But Sweden generally brings a stronger team to these things. Their last two age groups haven't been great. Arguably their two best skaters are 17 years old.

It seems like some are trying to take more from this than what it is.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Must just be a coincidence. Defensive defensemen are there to prevent these types of things from happening.

Ghost and Sanheim are the ones who are liabilities in their own zone. ;)
Also notice the top two mentioned are gone. Well one is gone and the other has no spot in the top 6.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Can I just say I'm kinda happy the Flyers are big again. Not that it means anything, but over the last 13 months they've added Hayes, Braun, and JVR, plus Myers and Sanheim are now NHL regulars. That's five guys over 6'2" 200 that can all skate and generally do their jobs.

It doesn't count for anything, I was just very uncomfortable watching these meek little scrub squads the team was rolling out over the past few years.

EDIT: I KNEW YOU WOULD LIKE THAT HATCHER I KNEW IT.

Last edited:

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Can I just say I'm kinda happy the Flyers are big again. Not that it means anything, but over the last 13 months they've added Hayes, Braun, and JVR, plus Myers and Sanheim are now NHL regulars. That's five guys over 6'2" 200 that can all skate and generally do their jobs.

It doesn't count for anything, I was just very uncomfortable watching these meek little scrub squads the team was rolling out over the past few years.

I think we will see Morin in the mix too!
Also if Gabriel Or Aubé Kubel get playing time. They’re not small.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That will say a lot about where this team is headed in the Fletcher/AV era, not just the season.

There's simply no excuse. We have a full NHL roster and more than enough players in the AHL so that it never gets to that point.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's because injuries never happen. :sarcasm:

Though I suspect Andreoff is more likely to play than Gabriel.
And if NAK can't beat both of them out he's finished in Philadelphia.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Gabriel plays a game that will say a lot about where this season is headed.

I dont want him to play as much as anyone, but he wouldnt be the first scrub to get some games in on a good team. 35 year old Chris Thorburn managed to play a game for last years Cup champs, for example. It wont signify anything unless he is somehow a regular or even worse, becomes the next Tanner Glass.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

It’s particularly noticeable in the playoffs. Size is far from the end-all, be-all. But it helps the board battles, & there are a lot of them.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Gabriel had 4 points last season in 22 games averaging 7:22.

Vorobyev 2 in 15 averaging 9:20.

NAK 0 in 9 averaging 5:35.

They all stink.

But I remember more about Gabriel taking runs at Flyers in one game than I recall about the impotent 24 games MV & NAK combined for in Flyers sweaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad