Three years is a bit too much term.

Flyers are going to get crowded up front very shortly:
2020-21:
Giroux - Couts - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - TK
JVR - Frost - Farabee
Ratcliffe - Rubtsov - Kase/Allison/Laczynski/Laberge
Raffl - Laughton - Hartman
And Twarynski, Bunnaman with 2 years AHL experience, Vorobyev 3 years, O'Brien in the wings.
NAK, Bailey long gone.

So if we add a "depth" player, ideally it's someone with one year left on their deal.
Because most of these players will end up somewhere in the NHL.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm gonna be pissed if we get a forward but we don't get rid of the 11th overall or a prospect.

So sick of this foresight. We need to find a way to dump that shit ASAP.

win88ice2004

Jan 3, 2019
Miller is a winger.

They will probably either sign Hayes or trade for Kadri or Carter. Actually, they will probably trade for someone nobody has or will bring up on this board.

Appreciate the response, but my debate would be:

Is he really a winger? He took 400+ faceoffs last year. Agree not a full center position, but in '17 when he was traded he was traded as a center. He took 800+ that year. was 54% too, so another stud faceoff man. This past year he played wing and still put up 47 pts. I don't know if i see the problem here.

Reactions: Adtar02

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When you look at that forward depth, using #11 on a forward raises some interesting possibilities, like packaging a couple forward prospects and Hagg for a young RHD prospect (consolidation trade) to replace Gudas down the road.

You have to go BPA, but you then can maneuver to maximize team value.

Reason I'm not ready to jump at a trade for a big name veteran forward is those pesky cap issues, add another big forward salary and you're not just pushing someone down to the third line, you're pushing guys down who either cost a lot now (JVR, Voracek) or in a year or two on their RFA contract (TK, Lindblom). How much money can you allocate to your bottom six?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Appreciate the response, but my debate would be:

Is he really a winger? He took 400+ faceoffs last year. Agree not a full center position, but in '17 when he was traded he was traded as a center. He took 800+ that year. was 54% too, so another stud faceoff man. This past year he played wing and still put up 47 pts. I don't know if i see the problem here.
He's a more effective player at wing and there is a difference between a true center and a guy who can take some draws and play center for stretches when needed.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
But why? Maybe a year extra, okay I agree. But its better than anything else mentioned here and significantly less "realistic" term.

Add to this...what would he cost?
I would rather take a shot on Carter for three years than trade for Miller who has four years left on his deal. I'm simply not a big fan of Miller as a player and think he is a better player at wing.

win88ice2004

Jan 3, 2019
He's a more effective player at wing and there is a difference between a true center and a guy who can take some draws and play center for stretches when needed.

Valid, but still better than anything we could throw out there now. I love the kids to play, but also am realistic. I think he would help this year, next year move to wing, and then in his final year we can keep or dump him. No damage.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JT Miller is a bit overpaid on the basis of PP production he probably won't have here (PP1 is full with Giroux, Couts, Voracek, JVR).
27 and 30 ES points the last two years, after two big years at 22-23.
He a solid 3rd line forward, but he's also LH, so we still have to play a LH on the offside.

Miller would be attractive at the right price, but he'd just add to the logjam in a year.
He has four years left on his deal, so that would be an issue.
If only he was a true RW.

One red flag is that he only has 3 goals in 61 playoff games - when you pay a guy that much you expect him to score when it counts.

win88ice2004

Jan 3, 2019
didnt realize its 4 years...my b...dont love that. Still think we could do worse.

Dont mind the ES points, he would make still make our PP2 better. hes also only 26...

win88ice2004

Jan 3, 2019
One red flag is that he only has 3 goals in 61 playoff games - when you pay a guy that much you expect him to score when it counts.

But 15 apples, and we have been down this road with Vorachek. lol

What does Tampa ask for him? Does that sway you at all?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I wouldn't be against JT Miller but it's not a move that's going to excite me at all and I don't think he's an answer at center. I also feel this way under the assumption that he could be had for 50 cents on the dollar since Tampa might want to clear his cap hit, this isn't a given though. If it takes legit value to trade for him I wouldn't even entertain it.

win88ice2004

Jan 3, 2019
I wouldn't be against JT Miller but it's not a move that's going to excite me at all and I don't think he's an answer at center. I also feel this way under the assumption that he could be had for 50 cents on the dollar since Tampa might want to clear his cap hit, this isn't a given though. If it takes legit value to trade for him I wouldn't even entertain it.

Fair enough, thanks for the debate!

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
JT Miller finds ways to score. In NYR he was on the 3rd line and they were productive.

In TB he was great on line 1 but they moved him down to create depth. Many TB fans were mad he wasn't kept on line 1

win88ice2004

Jan 3, 2019
Since no one is proposing anything when I keep asking, i scoured a bit, seems to be TB wants futures:

Flyers: JT Miller 4 years left at $5,250,000...

Tampa: 2020 2nd and 3rd (we have 2).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, I have no problem using 2nd and 3rd rd picks as trade bait give our organizational depth.
Boston got Johansson for a 2nd and 4th, Coyle for Donato (#63), both at the TDL when prices are higher.
So you can get solid middle six players without mortgaging the future.

I can see us "coming and going," trading picks for young veterans like Miller, then trading prospects next summer for future picks to clear out room.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
any interest in Ceci + Tierney together or apart? I think Philly and Ottawa could make a decent hockey deal

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
propose a deal they take...i dont think its that outrageous. They have their Centers, and 3rd line wingers can easily be replaced..

Is there a deal to be made?

I feel like I don't have the mental energy to think this through too much but the more I think about it, I do like J.T. Miller. He's probably more cost efficient than most of the UFAs being bantered about around here.

The problem is Tampa isn't going to trade him without getting someone who helps them next year and I don't think we're in the position to do something like that.

Lindblom for Miller is a trade that I could see happening and I don't think I would argue too much against it but it would hurt a little. Really I'd just prefer to keep all of our young players right now and just try to add talent and see how it goes.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Let me be clear I don't want Simmons back but how much better is Miller at 5.25 plus picks/prospects you give up over Simmons for free?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Lindblom for Miller would be an absolutely god awful trade. Lindblom had four more goals than Miller last year, and out scored him 30 to 27 at ES. Most importantly Miller has a cap hit of over 5 million for the next four years while Lindblom is under contract next year at only 925k. No chance in hell am I trading a younger much cheaper player who is almost as effective as Miller right now, who should only get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad