2019-20 Roster Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think just because Hextall would have done it/wouldn’t have done it, doesn’t make it wrong. Hextall could have gotten some pretty good players but we may not have Sanheim, Myers, Hart, or Frost here.

11OA is not a nonstarter for me, that’s a little ridiculous. Only Frost and Farabee are. But it carries a lot of value and would have to be the prime piece for a player that makes a lot of sense.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The Blues are four wins a way from becoming Stanley Cup Champs. Does anyone think them or their fans give a shit about the fact that they have given up THREE first round picks and a former top 5 prospect of theirs in Tage Thompson over the last two years? I swear to god some of you would rather win an award for having he best prospects in the league than actually have success in the playoffs.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
The Blues are four wins a way from becoming Stanley Cup Champs. Does anyone think them or their fans give a **** about the fact that they have given up THREE first round picks and a former top 5 prospect of theirs in Tage Thompson over the last two years? I swear to god some of you would rather win an award for having he best prospects in the league than actually have success in the playoffs.

nope, unless it's a top 5 pick, rest is garbage. get as much stars as you can when it comes to the cap and we can finally win a cup, with hart leading the way.

if they want an all prospect rebuild, they are rooting for the wrong team, they can go root for ottawa, detroit, for all i care.

Reactions: dag54

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
nope, unless it's a top 5 pick, rest is garbage. get as much stars as you can when it comes to the cap and we can finally win a cup, with hart leading the way.

if they want an all prospect rebuild, they are rooting for the wrong team, they can go root for ottawa, detroit, for all i care.
Yup. The only way this year's first would be completely off the table is if they had a shot at Hughes or Kakko, other than that, it all depends on what is coming back.

Reactions: dag54 and tucson83

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The Blues are four wins a way from becoming Stanley Cup Champs. Does anyone think them or their fans give a **** about the fact that they have given up THREE first round picks and a former top 5 prospect of theirs in Tage Thompson over the last two years? I swear to god some of you would rather win an award for having he best prospects in the league than actually have success in the playoffs.
It’s impossible to really predict when a team will compete. Caps and pens had better lineups before their recent cups. When you have a chance to get better you do it. Obviously has to be logical and taking some timings into account but you can’t really say it’s 2 years and then we will go hard. It’s not a game of risk, you too many additional variables. You do have to build through the draft for some time and then you have to try and win. It’s that time now. As far as the pick though, if you are going to have a game changer on the team in 2 years or Subban for 3 years then it’s easy to not make that trade.

How they did things all these years wasn’t wrong just bc they didn’t win. They went for it every year but their biggest mistake was seeing random goalies going to the finals and assuming you don’t need a good one to win A cup.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Current Flyers roster (RFAs in bold): 12F, 8D, 2G

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Laughton-Hartman
Aube-Kube
l-Raffl-Bailey

Provorov-Sanheim
Ghost-Gudas
Hagg-Myers
Morin-MacDonald

Hart
Lyon

Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Current Phantoms roster: 11 F, 3D, 2G

Bunnaman-Rubtsov-Kase
Ratcliffe-Frost-Farabee
Twarynski-Vorobyev-Laberge
Strome--Sushko

Brennan-Friedman
-Willcox

Sandstrom
Ustimenko

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKingPin

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

You are just speaking in generalities like always. Valuable assets are valuable assets and selling them off for pennies on the dollar just because you are having a hissy fit that the team isn’t where you want it to be isn’t going to make long term sustained success any easier.

What people are cautioning against is running the cupboard low and adding mediocre\decent players on enormous contracts. That’s exactly WHY Hextall’s approach was necessary which you whine about constantly.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Building thru the draft was absolutely the right thing to do. Hextall did the right thing there. But what he didn't do, or want to do, was tear it all down. He waited too long on Simmonds....hell just 1.5 years ago the main boards were laughing at a Simmonds for Debrincat+1st....saying it wasn't enough! Simmonds should have been moved the same summer as Schenn.

But now is the time to try and ADD to all the kids and our solid vets to bring this all together. Go for the home run Fletch. Just don't do anything dumb.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If drew doughty were really available I honestly have no idea what he would/could return. Similar to Pronger he controls his destination in the end but that wouldn’t stop 75%(Cap space) of the teams taking a legit shot at trying to acquire him.

Drew doughty May be a huge dick but he’s more than likely going to end up in the hall of fame I would believe. 29 years old and can expect way above average play for the next 4-6 years.

One player who could alter a franchise.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Go for the home run Fletch. Just don't do anything dumb.
Just a point of caution, speaking just on the parlance of baseball talk. Home run hitters can look like major asses when they strike out. (Why did Ryan Howard chase every breaking ball ever thrown to him?)

It's really difficult to hit for average, and power. We all obviously want the best of our GM. But I'm prepared for him to strike out (attempt to improve the club, but no dance partners). The Flyers were a :eek::eek::eek::eek: hair's width of getting a hit by pitch and lucking into the #1 pick. A pop-out would be horrible (signing mediocre talent to long and over priced contracts). But I'd be unimpressed with a single, and HR hitters are unlikely to hit triples, so a ground rule double (1 of either a 2C or top RHD) would be pretty sweet too.

Sports

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
You are just speaking in generalities like always. Valuable assets are valuable assets and selling them off for pennies on the dollar just because you are having a hissy fit that the team isn’t where you want it to be isn’t going to make long term sustained success any easier.

What people are cautioning against is running the cupboard low and adding mediocre\decent players on enormous contracts. That’s exactly WHY Hextall’s approach was necessary which you whine about constantly.

the problem with building thru the draft is that you have hit on players, you cant miss, that's why oilers way of building thru the draft didnt work, the didnt hit on picks. i just dont understand the obsession with prospects because it's an experienced league, it's not college. hextall lovers just dont get it and the only reason why you wanted to go this way is because homer's way didnt work and the fact is it was and the only reason it failed was because of our goal tending, if ray emery stayed healthy and won a cup, homer would have been labeled a genus and the fanbase wouldnt go nuts and go 180 on this team.

the fact is you do have a goalie now, get some experienced players on this team and maybe they will make a run.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
the problem with building thru the draft is that you have hit on players, you cant miss, that's why oilers way of building thru the draft didnt work, the didnt hit on picks. i just dont understand the obsession with prospects because it's an experienced league, it's not college. hextall lovers just dont get it and the only reason why you wanted to go this way is because homer's way didnt work and the fact is it was and the only reason it failed was because of our goal tending, if ray emery stayed healthy and won a cup, homer would have been labeled a genus and the fanbase wouldnt go nuts and go 180 on this team.

the fact is you do have a goalie now, get some experienced players on this team and maybe they will make a run.
The problem with building through the draft is that you have to do a good job at it? How is that different than any other way to build a team?

The only reason we're in a position to trade some of these assets for experienced players is because of the work that Hextall put towards building this team. I'm all for adding players with decent cap hits and term but when we're talking about trading away futures for a rental or signing Tyler Myers to long term deals for $6+ it's just bad business.

11OA in this draft is a really really good asset, one that doesn't get traded too often. As many people have stated I'd much rather use this pick to take one of those forwards and I'd be much more open to dealing the 2020 pick at the deadline if we're in the race knowing it's going to be a pick in the 20s.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
The only reason we're in a position to trade some of these assets for experienced players is because of the work that Hextall put towards building this team. I'm all for adding players with decent cap hits and term but when we're talking about trading away futures for a rental or signing Tyler Myers to long term deals for $6+ it's just bad business.

im sorry, but that's business, you cant be cheap with talent, you want to be cheap with talent, you tank for it and you trade them again when they want big contacts.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Current Flyers roster (RFAs in bold): 12F, 8D, 2G

Couturier-Giroux-Konecny
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Laughton-Hartman
Aube-Kube
l-Raffl-Bailey

Provorov-Sanheim
Ghost-Gudas
Hagg-Myers
Morin-MacDonald

Hart
Lyon

Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Current Phantoms roster: 11 F, 3D, 2G

Bunnaman-Rubtsov-Kase
Ratcliffe-Frost-Farabee
Twarynski-Vorobyev-Laberge
Strome--Sushko

Brennan-Friedman
-Willcox

Sandstrom
Ustimenko

That’s a nice lineup. That second line is nuts. Probably won’t happen. Hopefully won’t.

Drafting is an important step but so is developing. It’s not like we are just drafting the centers the way we do or Nashville the way they do D. Not like edm just takes all the busts. They draft so high it’s hard to miss that much. Has a lot to with developing those players. Flyers are good at both so their picks are worth more than edm in hand.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That’s a nice lineup. That second line is nuts. Probably won’t happen. Hopefully won’t.

Drafting is an important step but so is developing. It’s not like we are just drafting the centers the way we do or Nashville the way they do D. Not like edm just takes all the busts. They draft so high it’s hard to miss that much. Has a lot to with developing those players. Flyers are good at both so their picks are worth more than edm in hand.

That 2nd line was put together last year and failed to produce. Though, I think it was in the first half of the season when Patrick was on vacation and didn't get a long look.

Reactions: Tripod

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
That 2nd line was put together last year and failed to produce. Though, I think it was in the first half of the season when Patrick was on vacation and didn't get a long look.
Per Natural Stat Trick they only played 18 minutes as a line. JVR/Voracek and NP/Voracek were both solid pairs whoever the 3rd linemate was. JVR/NP was....less than ideal. 130 minutes together and xGF% of 39%.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If you think there's a set way to win or add talent, there's no helping you.

Tyler Myers is not a particularly effective NHL Defenseman. Other than that, he'd be a perfect addition.

Per Natural Stat Trick they only played 18 minutes as a line. JVR/Voracek and NP/Voracek were both solid pairs whoever the 3rd linemate was. JVR/NP was....less than ideal. 130 minutes together and xGF% of 39%.

The metrics of the JVR-Voracek pairing is something I really want to dig into this summer. It would ease so many lineup tensions if they could stay together.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Damn, I knew they bailed on that line quickly..but I didn't realize it was that quick.

JVR only being able to fit and be productive with Giroux last season was an issue, unfortuantely. I really hope whatever Center we add to the top 9 had chemistry with JVR so we can leave Giroux at LW.

Reactions: flyers0909

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
im sorry, but that's business, you cant be cheap with talent, you want to be cheap with talent, you tank for it and you trade them again when they want big contacts.
I'm talking about marginal upgrades like Tyler Myers (who would come with a long term commitment at a substantial cap hit) or trading high assets for an unsigned Spurgeon. That's just not smart.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
If you think there's a set way to win or add talent, there's no helping you.

Tyler Myers is not a particularly effective NHL Defenseman. Other than that, he'd be a perfect addition.

The metrics of the JVR-Voracek pairing is something I really want to dig into this summer. It would ease so many lineup tensions if they could stay together.
They only played 50 minutes and had pretty poor shot rates but their high danger chances were 14/4 so they had a solid 55% xGF%. Again, small sample size but there's some hope there.

dag54

Aug 3, 2005
I'm talking about marginal upgrades like Tyler Myers (who would come with a long term commitment at a substantial cap hit) or trading high assets for an unsigned Spurgeon. That's just not smart.
Spurgeon or Trouba would come with an extension.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017

alright, what players do you want this fo to add then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad