2019-20 Roster Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hextall's micromanaging of his players' diets was emblematic of his control-freak personality. By all accounts he was smothering in his obsessive need to control every aspect of the organization and even his players' off-ice behavior. Offering healthy post-game meals to your teams is one thing, imposing strict dietary restrictions on all of your players is overbearing. You better win if you're going to run a dictatorship, because that environment gets old real fast without winning.

Ultimately, Hextall pissed off team alumni; he pissed off the owner; he pissed off other members of management; he annoyed his players with his off-ice restrictions and rules. And you see what happened as a result.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think Sandin may hit but I'll be surprised if Liljegren does. Lil is only 20 so there is still room for growth, but he has lazy tendencies and his decision-making is neither quick nor savvy. I wager they need someone else to round out that top 4 so they better hope they can hang on to Muzzin or find someone else to plug the hole.
Agreed. I think Sandin is going to be a player, but I get a kick out of the expectations Leafs fans have for Liljegren.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It was hilarious immediately after they drafted Liljegren when they were already sure they had the steal of the draft and that he was going to be a star.

Reactions: Rebels57

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
You never eat after finishing a late game? Ever?

How?

When is a player supposed to get dinner? You play at 7 or 730 and finish the game and have a chance to get dinner at 10 or 1030. It's not exactly a grand idea to eat dinner before a game.

Doesn't Ovechkin drink a pepsi every game? I'm sure these guys aren't gouging themselves on pizza, wings and beer every night but the notion of never eating that stuff is going to drive most people to a very unhappy place.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was the 2nd ranked consensus player coming into the draft year, don’t ya know?

giphy.gif

Game over. They win. Only question is "how many cups"?

Reactions: Stizzle and Tripod

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Doesn't Ovechkin drink a pepsi every game? I'm sure these guys aren't gouging themselves on pizza, wings and beer every night but the notion of never eating that stuff is going to drive most people to a very unhappy place.

Love OV but he’s a freak. I don’t buy he hasn’t dabbled in a few other substances during past seasons.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This was by far my favorite Hak moment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Problem was they were dominating in their minutes against lesser competition.
Gudas gets exposed against top players (b/c he's not the most nimble skater).

Ideally, Provorov and Ghost worked out, and Gudas/Sanheim moves into 2nd pair minutes.
Unfortunately, things don't always work that way.

AV will still have to deal with those issues:

Provorov - Ghost were awful last year, do you try it again?
Provorov - Sanheim is probably the most talented pair, but that means Sanheim playing his off side.
Myers should start on the third pair, but with whom? Morin? Hagg? Ghost? Then who are on the 1st and 2nd pair.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I haven’t seen anyone mention Marcus Johansen as a fa. Would he be worth a short deal. Or maybe the blues trade bozak
If they end up adding a winger this off-season I could see it being someone who they could probably get on a cheap one year deal. Someone like Johansson or Hagelin perhaps. I think Zuccarello is someone they would have serious interest in but at the end of the day there is only so much cap space to go around and defense and center will be higher priorities.

win88ice2004

Jan 3, 2019
How about a JT Miller acquisition. Can get him from a strapped Tampa, hes a good 2c with familiarity with AV. Only thing i dont like is the contract. Hes on a Modified NTC where he has to submit 8 teams so there could be expansion issues there. One of you smarter people tell me why this idea would be bad or how much it would cost. Just thinking outside the box here with something not mentioned here.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
How about a JT Miller acquisition. Can get him from a strapped Tampa, hes a good 2c with familiarity with AV. Only thing i dont like is the contract. Hes on a Modified NTC where he has to submit 8 teams so there could be expansion issues there. One of you smarter people tell me why this idea would be bad or how much it would cost. Just thinking outside the box here with something not mentioned here.
I think teams he gets traded to can say no to the ntc

win88ice2004

Jan 3, 2019
I think teams he gets traded to can say no to the ntc

Does that mean if we acquire him we can deny his NTC and trade him anywhere? That would be great for expansion draft purposes since we wouldn't have to protect him. Hes a 5.25M a year for the next 3 years. Pretty good bridge for our younger centers and allows us to expose him in the ED....

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Miller’s got a modified no trade clause. He can submit an 8 team no trade list. It doesn’t have any ramifications for the expansion draft even he stays in Tampa. But the Flyers or any other team acquiring via trade wouldn’t have to honor it going forward.

I don’t think Miller’s played center in years even going back to New York though.

Reactions: Adtar02

win88ice2004

Jan 3, 2019
Miller’s got a modified no trade clause. He can submit an 8 team no trade list. It doesn’t have any ramifications for the expansion draft even he stays in Tampa. But the Flyers or any other team acquiring via trade wouldn’t have to honor it going forward.

I don’t think Miller’s played center in years even going back to New York though.

Ah thanks for the explanation! Didnt realize he was their 3rd line wing. Can he play center and move to wing if we need him to? Played with Gourde this year....wonder how he would do if we had to play him with Frost...

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Miller is a winger.

They will probably either sign Hayes or trade for Kadri or Carter. Actually, they will probably trade for someone nobody has or will bring up on this board.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Miller is a winger.

They will probably either sign Hayes or trade for Kadri or Carter. Actually, they will probably trade for someone nobody has or will bring up on this board.
Wouldn’t a good vet winger help if we don’t get a center.

I mean no one wants too much term cause kids are close. So a winger that’s better than Hartman might be another way.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Wouldn’t a good vet winger help if we don’t get a center.

I mean no one wants too much term cause kids are close. So a winger that’s better than Hartman might be another way.
Whether you or anyone else likes it or not they are going to get a center. The only questions are who, how, and how long of a commitment are they looking for. Keep in mind that guys like Hayes, Pavelski, and Carter are primarily centers but can also play wing. Pavelski probably doesn't leave San Jose though.

After seeing Brock Nelson's new deal I am much more willing to gamble on Jeff Carter bouncing back with a fresh new start where his career started. Three years at 5 million isn't a huge commitment and IF Patrick and Frost step up at any point during that time the option to move Carter to RW is there. They probably wouldn't have to give up much to trade for him either, maybe a 2nd round pick. It might be the better option than committing 5 or 6 years at a 6-6.5 million aav for Hayes.

This all could have been avoided had Hextall just signed Bozak last summer like he should have. Unfortunately he wasn't even interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad