2019-20 Roster Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I feel like I don't have the mental energy to think this through too much but the more I think about it, I do like J.T. Miller. He's probably more cost efficient than most of the UFAs being bantered about around here.

The problem is Tampa isn't going to trade him without getting someone who helps them next year and I don't think we're in the position to do something like that.

Lindblom for Miller is a trade that I could see happening and I don't think I would argue too much against it but it would hurt a little. Really I'd just prefer to keep all of our young players right now and just try to add talent and see how it goes.

Tampa may dump him for pennies if they want to sign Karlsson. They need to shed a lot of salary after they extend Point.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I feel like I don't have the mental energy to think this through too much but the more I think about it, I do like J.T. Miller. He's probably more cost efficient than most of the UFAs being bantered about around here.

The problem is Tampa isn't going to trade him without getting someone who helps them next year and I don't think we're in the position to do something like that.

Lindblom for Miller is a trade that I could see happening and I don't think I would argue too much against it but it would hurt a little. Really I'd just prefer to keep all of our young players right now and just try to add talent and see how it goes.

NO. Lindblom is already as good as Miller with a lot more upside, Miller may be faster, but he's not nearly as good defensively, and he's a lot more expensive.

Laughton and a draft pick would be more acceptable, Laughton coming off a 30 point season in the bottom six as a low cost forward.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I love Lindblom, but saying a guy with 30-some career points in ~100 NHL games is "already as good" as a dude who has put up 80 goals and 204 points over the last four NHL seasons? C'mon man.

You don't trade past performance, you trade expectations of future performance.

Miller is a 3rd line forward who had a couple good scoring years but has settled in the 30 point, 3rd line area the last couple years. That's likely what you'll get, and he's an average defensive player. His production would be lifted playing on the 2nd line, but he won't lift his linemates.

Lindblom showed last year that he has potential to be a 2LW who is a "glue player," above average player who does the dirty work and makes his linemates better - his upside is above Miller and his salary is well below.

You trade for Miller for depth, and given his contract brings a lot of risk and limited upside, you don't pay a lot for him.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
You don't trade past performance, you trade expectations of future performance.

Miller is a 3rd line forward who had a couple good scoring years but has settled in the 30 point, 3rd line area the last couple years. That's likely what you'll get, and he's an average defensive player. His production would be lifted playing on the 2nd line, but he won't lift his linemates.

Lindblom showed last year that he has potential to be a 2LW who is a "glue player," above average player who does the dirty work and makes his linemates better - his upside is above Miller and his salary is well below.

You trade for Miller for depth, and given his contract brings a lot of risk and limited upside, you don't pay a lot for him.

This is nonsense and not true. Miller hasn't scored less than 43 pts since 2014. I wouldn't trade Lindblom for Miller, but how would acquiring Miller be a risk? He's a 45-50 pt middle 6 forward, plays multiple forward spots, is only 26, and has a reasonable cap hit.

Reactions: Adtar02

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
I love Lindblom, but saying a guy with 30-some career points in ~100 NHL games is "already as good" as a dude who has put up 80 goals and 204 points over the last four NHL seasons? C'mon man.
Last 3 full seasons Miller has averaged 12 goals and 37 points at ES including only 27 points last season. Lindblom in his first full season put up 15 goals and 30 points at ES.

He's a great defensive player (shots against rate is way less with him on the ice than without) and is a beast on the boards. It's really not outrageous at all.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Forget PP points, because that's dependent on usage, and our PP1 is set and gets the lion share of minutes.
Don't even know if Miller plays on PP2 here. Sanheim & Provorov/Myers, Patrick, TK, Lindblom, Frost? Ratcliffe in a year as the net front guy.

So you should look primarily at ES points because they're independent of special team usage.

Miller is a risk b/c he has a $5.5M contract for four years, in two years Ratcliffe, Farabee, might pass him, and he's really not a 4th line type.
So you might have to pay someone to take him off your hands.
He's a solid middle six player, but he's not breaking into the top six here.

Reactions: flyers0909

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Forget PP points, because that's dependent on usage, and our PP1 is set and gets the lion share of minutes.
Don't even know if Miller plays on PP2 here. Sanheim & Provorov/Myers, Patrick, TK, Lindblom, Frost? Ratcliffe in a year as the net front guy.

So you should look primarily at ES points because they're independent of special team usage.

Miller is a risk b/c he has a $5.5M contract for four years, in two years Ratcliffe, Farabee, might pass him, and he's really not a 4th line type.
So you might have to pay someone to take him off your hands.
He's a solid middle six player, but he's not breaking into the top six here.
27 ES points last season playing nearly half the season with Stamkos is concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad