2019-20 Roster Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
So if the Flyers have 110 points and the Rags have 100 that would be disappointing?

I’d be shocked if the Rangers ended up with 100. I should add that I made this comment right after getting back from a golf tournament and did not see the Trouba trade until after I made the comment.

For the most part, I’d still be quite surprised if they hit higher than upper 80’s in points. I just don’t see that much talent on the team - unless Kappo has a transcendent rookie year.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think the rumors will start coming a little stronger today and tomorrow. Thursday probably will be a pretty quiet day maybe because of travel and all with the GMs and last minute meetings.

I expect it to start heating up. Flyers gonna he in the midst of a lot of rumors IMO. Everyone knows that 11th overall is in play. It’s just finding a deal worth trading it.

Nothing has really been reported on PK Subban, Kessel (since he nixed the deal), zucker, and other players who were swirling in the mill. Going to be a fun few days leading up and then to July 1st.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I’d be shocked if the Rangers ended up with 100. I should add that I made this comment right after getting back from a golf tournament and did not see the Trouba trade until after I made the comment.

For the most part, I’d still be quite surprised if they hit higher than upper 80’s in points. I just don’t see that much talent on the team - unless Kappo has a transcendent rookie year.

I mean, even with adding Kakko their fwd group 1-8 is arguably worse in every spot than the Flyers assuming Hayes signs.

Giroux>Kakko
Couturier>Zibanejad
Voracek>Kreider
JvR>Buchnevich
Hayes>Strome
Konecny>Vesey
Lindblom>=Namestnikov
Patrick>Howden

Then Fast, Chytil, Andersson and Nieves... who are solid, but Flyers have Laughton, Raffl, Hartman and whoever else that may be... which is pretty equivalent on paper.

And Kravtsov is their top prospect and a similar level upside guy to Frost and Farabee.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Apologies looking at wrong year. It easy to see the Ghost of 17 is better than 19-20. Its easy to see Giroux of 17 is better than Giroux of 20, its easy to see Voracek of 17 is better than Voracek of 20 and a new coach is not going to turn back father time. Couts 17 was so good and pre injuries so even a match to that year is very very hopeful. Those are easy decisions that are ignoring.
I already explained this to you, so I'm not to go through it again and waste my time.

People said this before, they were wrong, so you cant say it definitively. But oh well. Believe whatever you want.

The roster is easily better today than in 2017-2018 so they can definitely hit 100 points next year. End of story.

Reactions: Rebels57

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I mean, even with adding Kakko their fwd group 1-8 is arguably worse in every spot than the Flyers assuming Hayes signs.

Giroux>Kakko
Couturier>Zibanejad
Voracek>Kreider
JvR>Buchnevich
Hayes>Strome
Konecny>Vesey
Lindblom>=Namestnikov
Patrick>Howden

Then Fast, Chytil, Andersson and Nieves... who are solid, but Flyers have Laughton, Raffl, Hartman and whoever else that may be... which is pretty equivalent on paper.

And Kravtsov is their top prospect and a similar level upside guy to Frost and Farabee.
Definitely agree with your assessment but they have put some nice young pieces together. After a decade of competing but never getting to the top of the mountain.

Reactions: Appleyard

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
People are significantly undervaluing just how much a competent coaching staff and having both quality and stability in goal will improve this team. That alone is likely worth a 10-15 point improvement from last year. And, if most of the following happen (all of which are reasonable):

Provorov has a better season
Ghost has a better season
Sanheim continues to mature and improve
Niskanen provides an upgrade from Gudas
Myers provides an upgrade from AMac
Morin provides an upgrade from Hagg
Patrick has a better season
Hayes signs, or they trade or sign another legit middle 6 center
Lindblom continues to mature and improve
At least one of Frost/Farabee spends all or most of the season on the roster and contributes
They don't have to rely on AHL players to fill out their 4th line

If most of the above comes to fruition, there is absolutely no reason, barring getting slammed by injuries, that this team can't finish in the 100-105 point range and challenge for the top spot in the Metro.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
The Trouba move is frustrating as hell seeing the Rangers get a clear upgrade for cheap, but I won’t be too nervous until September. Fletcher knows what has to be done

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
People are significantly undervaluing just how much a competent coaching staff and having both quality and stability in goal will improve this team. That alone is likely worth a 10-15 point improvement from last year. And, if most of the following happen (all of which are reasonable):

At least one of Frost/Farabee spends all or most of the season on the roster and contributes

If most of the above comes to fruition, there is absolutely no reason, barring getting slammed by injuries, that this team can't finish in the 100-105 point range and challenge for the top spot in the Metro.

I like your optimism, I feel like 75% of what is reasonable will happen, and you can probably except some sort of regression in other areas because this isn't a perfect world.

Assuming we sign Hayes, do you think Fletcher is pretty much done making improvement externally? I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of numbers our RFAs sign for.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly

Giroux>Kakko
Couturier>Zibanejad
Voracek>Kreider
JvR>Buchnevich
Hayes>Strome
Konecny>Vesey
Lindblom>=Namestnikov
Patrick>Howden

This. On defense the Flyers are certainly green, but more talented as well. The only spot the Rangers are better right now is goaltending and that might be debatable depending on the learning curve of Hart and how well Lundqvist ages.

I don’t think Vignaeult is the savoir, but he is a very clear upgrade from the mess they had.

Unfortunate that they hit the lotto, but they’re going to need a few years of good drafting and development for them to get out of the spot they’re in IMO.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly

I don’t agree with the Niskanen > Gudas part, but I agree with about every other word.... especially the beginning. It cannot be understated how much the last few years or Hakstol coaching hamstringed this team.

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I like your optimism, I feel like 75% of what is reasonable will happen, and you can probably except some sort of regression in other areas because this isn't a perfect world.

Assuming we sign Hayes, do you think Fletcher is pretty much done making improvement externally? I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of numbers our RFAs sign for.
If they sign Hayes, they are likely mostly done. Obviously something will still be done to bring in a backup/tandem goalie, but I don't think any other major moves will be made.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don’t agree with the Niskanen > Gudas part, but I agree with about every other word.... especially the beginning. It cannot be understated how much the last few years or Hakstol coaching hamstringed this team.

Urban myths, if you blame him for the bad start last year you have to credit him with overachieving the year before. The real problem was the goalies imploded last year, worst in the NHL the first half.

The Flyers were a disciplined if boring team under Hakstol, they fell apart despite much better goaltending under Gordon. AV will restore discipline, and hopefully have a more aggressive scheme than Hakstol.

The problem has been talent, starting in goal, and depth, both the bottom six forwards and bottom four defensemen. A few top players can't compensate for playing close to half the game with scrubs on the ice.

It's called "rebuilding," it takes time to build up sufficient depth.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Trouba, Kakko, and Fox is a serious upgrade for the Rangers.
Very serious upgrade. And Chytil & Andersson (especially Chytil) are loaded with talent & could take huge steps forward. They could be a dangerous team, & certainly will be very soon.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, if Joey Pavs wants to win now, especially within the next 3 years, I can't think of a better group than the Flyers right now, considering the top to bottom collection of vets and young players. Especially with a coach that is ready to come out blazing.

While it would be a 35+ contract, I'd love to still do 3 years @ 8 Million and let Hayes walk.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Giroux>Kakko
Couturier>Zibanejad
Voracek>Kreider
JvR>Buchnevich
Hayes>Strome
Konecny>Vesey
Lindblom>=Namestnikov
Patrick>Howden

Depressing....

NYR #2 overall pick goes up against Giroux
Our #2 overall pick is listed 8th and goes against Howden

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'm not very worried about the Rangers.

If our players play in a good system, I have great faith. I think our roster has tons of talent. Just need to put it together and add a tiny bit of depth. Adding Hayes helps that. I'd be thrilled if Zuccarello signed here as well, but that's my own personal fantasy.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Honestly, if Joey Pavs wants to win now, especially within the next 3 years, I can't think of a better group than the Flyers right now, considering the top to bottom collection of vets and young players. Especially with a coach that is ready to come out blazing.

While it would be a 35+ contract, I'd love to still do 3 years @ 8 Million and let Hayes walk.

I get your point from the Flyer's perspective through rose-colored glasses but for a 35 year old on his last legs joining any of 16 teams making the playoffs may be more appealing than banking on good will and upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad