Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yes let's turn Dahlin from Erik Karlsson into a cookie cutter defenseman

This is sort of like the argument that Jack being responsible with the puck and defensively sound would take away from his game. If Dahlin is generating a net negative for goals, all of his offensive gifts are for naught in the scheme of winning and losing.

And what he has been poor at defensively starts with how he is moving the puck in his own zone. He needs to start making simple plays again. And no, that isn't going to turn him into a cookie cutter defenseman, since he still has the ability to walk people and good roof in tight and snake passes through legs. What it means is to stop trying to do that when putting the puck crisply to the nearest open man is the better option, or hell, even hard off the boards can be the right decision at times under pressure. But he's got to be better and right now he's not.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The right medicine for the team that can't score is to...reduce the offensive output of one of their best offensive players? :huh:

Clean up his mistakes and start playing with confidence will beget more offense. Right now he's not generating offense off the rush or in transition.

And the other aspect is that for a team that is starving for goals, they turn to recalling Mr. Zero, Curtis Lazar.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This is sort of like the argument that Jack being responsible with the puck and defensively sound would take away from his game. If Dahlin is generating a net negative for goals, all of his offensive gifts are for naught in the scheme of winning and losing.

And what he has been poor at defensively starts with how he is moving the puck in his own zone. He needs to start making simple plays again. And no, that isn't going to turn him into a cookie cutter defenseman, since he still has the ability to walk people and good roof in tight and snake passes through legs. What it means is to stop trying to do that when putting the puck crisply to the nearest open man is the better option, or hell, even hard off the boards can be the right decision at times under pressure. But he's got to be better and right now he's not.

Yep. His underlying numbers a couple weeks into the season were showing a bad trend. That continue into the season. The teams hot play and his initial two strong games had him on the ice for 6 goals for/ 2 goals against. In the last couple weeks its been 3 goals for/ 7 against.

He now has the worst xGF%, SCF%, HDCF%, HDGF% and 2nd worst SF% among dmen. Largely due to his defensive play.

In much easier minutes he has worse numbers than Risto. Thats about as bad of an indictment of Dahlin’s play that can put forth.

If he fixes his play in his end the numbers will trend the other way and his offense will come.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Without MoJo will be bad, but Botterill will probably still wait to make deals, there is nowhere to hurry.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yes let's turn Dahlin from Erik Karlsson into a cookie cutter defenseman

Dahlin is currently worst among our dmen in

Corsi against/60
Shots against/60
SCA/60
HDCA/60
HDGA/60
xGA/60

Call me crazy but I think that needs to be fixed. I wish he was a cookie cutter dman right now. He also has an xGF tied with McCabe for 4th among dmen. Hardly Erik Karlsson at the moment.

If he fixes his issues in our end then he controls the puck more. That leads to more scoring chances for himself and those out there with him and obviously less chances against.

Last edited:

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Dahlin is currently worst among our dmen in

Corsi against/60
Shots against/60
SCA/60
HDCA/60
HDGA/60
xGA/60

Call me crazy but I think that needs to be fixed. I wish he was a cookie cutter dman right now. He also has an xGF tied with McCabe for 4th among dmen. Hardly Erik Karlsson at the moment.

If he fixes his issues in our end then he controls the puck more. That leads to more scoring chances for himself and those out there with him and obviously less chances against.

He was fine last year, and for the first 3 games this season. It wasn't until they started "fixing" him that he became truly bad defensively.

I think they are playing a really high stakes game here, if they can make him into a shutdown defenseman and he starts playing well soon enough, that's great.

However, if he continues along the current path, and it doesn't become better, are we looking at a similar path as Ghost in Philly is currently on?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I do believe the Sabres are one good offensive player away from making the playoffs. If we can get a top 6 for one our defenders we will make the playoffs as long as Botts does it sooner rather than later.

Define "good". It seems like they need a serious scoring threat, not just a run of the mill top 9 guy.

He was fine last year, and for the first 3 games this season. It wasn't until they started "fixing" him that he became truly bad defensively.

I think they are playing a really high stakes game here, if they can make him into a shutdown defenseman and he starts playing well soon enough, that's great.

However, if he continues along the current path, and it doesn't become better, are we looking at a similar path as Ghost in Philly is currently on?

They haven't done anything with him that we know of. This is the first mention of it. Now the defense has had different operating parameters where he almost never is carrying the puck from exit to entry and that's been consistent for all of them from day 1 of the season.

He has to stop doing some of the fancy and get back to making smart plays under pressure. They aren't talking about turning him into Kris Russell. This is all about him giving away the puck and not holding his positioning. Those things are fixable and aren't suddenly going to take away his ability to generate on pinch and PP chances. The only thing that maybe has been nerfed is the end to end part of his game thus far.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Yep. His underlying numbers a couple weeks into the season were showing a bad trend. That continue into the season. The teams hot play and his initial two strong games had him on the ice for 6 goals for/ 2 goals against. In the last couple weeks its been 3 goals for/ 7 against.

He now has the worst xGF%, SCF%, HDCF%, HDGF% and 2nd worst SF% among dmen. Largely due to his defensive play.

In much easier minutes he has worse numbers than Risto. Thats about as bad of an indictment of Dahlin’s play that can put forth.

If he fixes his play in his end the numbers will trend the other way and his offense will come.

I think my issue is having no faith in our staff to develop him properly.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In a few years will we look back on Vesey-Lazar as the Nolan-Griffith of Casey Mittelstadt's past, wondering if he will ever become the center we thought he would be while he's on Jack's wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad