2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
How do you figure we get rid of Okposo?

A 1-year cap dump cost the Leafs a 1st round pick

yeah but we're not in cap hell no one wanted to do the leafs any favours that's why it cost a 1st
we roughy have 25M coming off the books
with

Montour
Mitts
reinhart
oloffson
Larson
Girgs
Ullmark

To resign or let some go

not in any cap trouble at all if we wanted to get rid of okposo it would be out of luxury not out of need like the leafs did with marleau

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
The Leafs were desperate to shed that cap space, the Sabres arent at that point yet. As for Hall he would be an amazing rental if we could limit the damage to 1st+Pilut+something else

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
How do you figure we get rid of Okposo?

A 1-year cap dump cost the Leafs a 1st round pick

I think the odds of us getting out of his contract for a reasonable price are slim, but Toronto needed immediate relief, their first rounder was probably valued by everyone as a late first, and although everyone likes to talk about the "market prices" its so much more fluid than people make it out to be.

Again, I think it would cost us more than we want, but nothing is definite just because of Toronto's situation

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
yeah but we're not in cap hell no one wanted to do the leafs any favours that's why it cost a 1st
with

Montour -5
Mitts - 3
reinhart - 8
oloffson - 5
Larson - 2
Girgs - 2
Ullmark - 2

To resign or let some go

not in any cap trouble at all if we wanted to get rid of okposo it would be out of luxury not out of need like the leafs did with marleau

They have 34M to sign those players, AND another 6 (1D, 5F) to bring them to 23. At league minimum for the make-weights that leave 28M for those 7. Quite a close shave.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
with

Montour
Mitts
reinhart
oloffson
Larson
Girgs
Ullmark

To resign or let some go

We’re not in cap trouble but I don’t think it’s feasible to sign Hall.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
We’re not in cap trouble but I don’t think it’s feasible to sign Hall.

Agree. We'd have to find a way to dump Okposo, and quite possibly some other players, to make it happen. Hall's probably looking at Panarin money. Scandella, Bogo, and Sobotka coming off the books frees up room for Reinhart, Montour, and Mittelstadt extensions, but we don't have enough room to make a major addition like that. Even if we did, we'd probably be putting ourselves in a tough spot with Dahlin and Jokiharju's next contracts.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Sabres don't need to overpay for a UFA like Hall.

They need to keep the pipeline of kids to produce players and get a value UFA or two.

And as far as Okposo goes, he will have two years left on his deal when the Seattle expansion draft rolls around. I wonder what the realistic cost would be for them to take him?

Agreed. It's fun to play EA NHL on the console, real life is something else entirely.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If he keeps producing the way he has been........he's worth the contract and as the cap goes up the contract COULD look better and better. If he keeps this up.

If it were a 3 year deal, 9.5M would be fine.

The problem is that its an 8 year deal with a full NMC. The question is will the cap go up enough to overcome his decline over time.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If it were a 3 year deal, 9.5M would be fine.

The problem is that its an 8 year deal with a full NMC. The question is will the cap go up enough to overcome his decline over time.

Skinner's contract is fairly buy-out friendly in the last couple years, in the event his play falls off that bad and we can't get anyone to take him. (If he's bought out with 2 years left, the Sabres take dead cap hits of 4-6-2-2, for cap savings of 5-3-(2)-(2). With 1 year left, the cap hits become 5.66 and 1.66, for cap savings of 4.33 and (1.66).) It's not like Okposo's contract where a buy-out would result in virtually no cap savings.

Reactions: Zman5778

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
If Hall is unhappy in New Jersey is he really going to want to come to Buffalo? I mean we all pretty much love out town but we know the reputation the city has in the league.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Hall is unhappy in New Jersey is he really going to want to come to Buffalo? I mean we all pretty much love out town but we know the reputation the city has in the league.

Not only that, what is it going to cost in assets to acquire him and then what is it going to soak in cap to recoup that investment? This is a recent league MVP. Jersey isn't going to just let him go, especially after they made moves specifically to shore things up to make it seem like they were operating with him in good faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad