2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sheary definitely sounds like he will be a RW next year based on Botts comments. Not sure if that means Jack’s wing though. Unless he said something specific about that and I missed it.

More adding his comments last year about wanting Sheary to play with an offensive center and then his comments this summer about moving Sheary as a candidate for RW. They don't have a lot of options for RW1 at the moment and I was pretty underwhelmed by Sheary with Mittelstadt last year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've also been very hopeful for this, but looking into his brief tenure in Edmonton dampers my optimism. Krueger, and more specifically his staff, remain the key to all of this.

Yeah, that broad winger spread and deep center stuff that worked on the bigger ice but got lit up with the Oil is a bit concerning. Hoping he has adapted and Granato/Smith provide a current foundation for them to work up a system that is up-to-date.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
More adding his comments last year about wanting Sheary to play with an offensive center and then his comments this summer about moving Sheary as a candidate for RW. They don't have a lot of options for RW1 at the moment and I was pretty underwhelmed by Sheary with Mittelstadt last year.
I was underwhelmed by Sheary in general. He looks like a guy whose best year is behind him.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was underwhelmed by Sheary in general. He looks like a guy whose best year is behind him.

Underwhelmed would be a nice way of putting it. I've never seen someone with a mild scoring pedigree get that sort of start time and do so little with it for so long. It would be great to get him closer to the Sid RW year.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Underwhelmed would be a nice way of putting it. I've never seen someone with a mild scoring pedigree get that sort of start time and do so little with it for so long. It would be great to get him closer to the Sid RW year.

If he could play the Pen's every game he would of been a 50 pt guy. He single handedly beat them in that one game last season. But never played up to that energy level in any other game that I remember. Lets hope Chad is on to something and having better coaching and linemates increases his pts and play.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If he could play the Pen's every game he would of been a 50 pt guy. He single handedly beat them in that one game last season. But never played up to that energy level in any other game that I remember. Lets hope Chad is on to someting and having better coaching and linemates increases his pts and play.

There were only 3 NHLers who got a higher percentage of offensive zone starts than he did 5-on-5 last year. One was his usual center - Mittelstadt, who stunk given the advantage of the deployment - and the other two were Artemi Panarin and Elias Pettersson with 69 and 43 ES points respectively. Sheary created 18 primary points at even strength on 10 goals and 8 A1's, to go along with 10 more A2's. That was with 70.4% of his zone starts in the offensive end of the rink. People collectively shit on Girgensons (often rightly so) who had a 15% offensive zone start rate yet managed to put up 12 primary ES points. It's beyond bad luck. He whiffed hard last year and yes, his career shooting percentage was down but only by 4.4% off his career average, even if his shot totals were right in his expected range given his previous two seasons.

I've never seen a Sabre do so little with so much.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I'll be in the middle of Ocala National Forest tomorrow, no phone service likely, so tomorrow it is!

Jealous. Took my Canyon down there a couple years ago to do some off roading. It was awesome. Even the girl friend loved it. I’d much rather be there than reading about a Risto trade. I’m preparing for disappointment.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I'll be in the middle of Ocala National Forest tomorrow, no phone service likely, so tomorrow it is!
Have you been to the Ocala National Forest before? I have a condo in Ponte Vedra Beach just north of St.Augustine. Looks not too far away. I’ve always wanted to day trip out to some of the springs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Have you been to the Ocala National Forest before? I have a condo in Ponte Vedra Beach just north of St.Augustine. Looks not too far away. I’ve always wanted to day trip out to some of the springs.

I have and I live in Gainesville. It can be a lot of fun. A bad day in the field is better than any day in the lecture hall.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I think the belief is that Reinhart can be more effective and still drive a line from the wing, as long as he has a serviceable centerman. If they don’t make any more additions, I see Johansson taking that spot.

Skinner-Eichel-Vesey
-Vesey can handle the Pominville role of being a low event player who can go to the net and poke in some rebounds.

Olofsson-Johansson-Reinhart
This puts a sniper like Olofsson with two guys in Reinhart and Johansson who can carry play. Johansson is very good in the neutral zones with entries and defending our zone. Reinhart has very good possession numbers and can really help the cycle down low, etc. Those two will be great setup men for a player like Olofsson, and Reinhart has a terrific ability to get to the net and poke in rebounds.

Sheary-Mittelstadt-Rodrigues
Rodrigues is a solid two-way player who can work effectively from the wing. Sheary is a passenger, but one who is an effective 3rd liner. Mittelstadt has two guys who he can work with. Rodrigues and can carry the puck into the zone for this group, Mittelstadt can be the main puck handler in the zone (he does have amazing stickhandling), and Sheary can be the one who capitalizes on their work.

Smith-Larsson-Okposo

I think this will be an effective matchup 4th line. Maybe Girgensons plays above one of Okposo or Smith, but it’ll be a solid shutdown line if Okposo isn’t completely broken.

Defense:

Dahlin-Miller
-Just seems too easy to me. Millers put up solid numbers in a more limited role, with not the best partners. I think he’ll be a solid partner to let Dahlin be Dahlin.

Ristolainen-Montour
-At least until Pilut comes back, they played a game or two at the end of the season last year and put up some solid corsi numbers in about 45min. I do realize it’s EXTREMELY limited, but I think these two could do well in a limited role. Ristolainen has played on his off hand, and this would allow Montour, as the main puck mover out of the d-zone, into the neutral and o-zone, to be on his dominant side. This line would get the heavy o-zone minutes, and would promote the offensive capabilities of both players.

McCabe-Nelson
Both can skate pretty well. Neither are great puck movers, but I think Nelson has the ability to be a solid PK, bottom pair kind of guy, and really that’s what McCabe should be relegated to. No more top-4 role for the guy. He’s a good bottom pair who can be on a 2nd pair in a pinch, but ultimately he’s a bottom pair guy.
I’d rather Joker plays up than Nelson.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Skinner - Eichel - Sheary
Olofsson - Mittelstadt - Reinhart
Rodrigues - Johansson - Vesey
Girgensons - Larsson - Okposo

Dahlin - Montour
McCabe - Miller
Scandella - Ristolainen
Pilut injured

RD possibly playing close to equal minutes, Dahlin 25, 17-18 for McCabe and Scandella. Pilut jumps to 2LD when healthy and shuffles the RD partners. I have the pairings below but the more I think about it maybe Miler elevates McCabe and you simply slot Pilut in for Scandella. Miller could still be deployed in pivotal situations over Montour.

Dahlin - Miller
Pilut - Risto / Montour if Risto traded
McCabe - Montour / Bogo if Risto traded

Reactions: Mitts888
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad