2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think the belief is that Reinhart can be more effective and still drive a line from the wing, as long as he has a serviceable centerman. If they don’t make any more additions, I see Johansson taking that spot.

Skinner-Eichel-Vesey
-Vesey can handle the Pominville role of being a low event player who can go to the net and poke in some rebounds.

Olofsson-Johansson-Reinhart
This puts a sniper like Olofsson with two guys in Reinhart and Johansson who can carry play. Johansson is very good in the neutral zones with entries and defending our zone. Reinhart has very good possession numbers and can really help the cycle down low, etc. Those two will be great setup men for a player like Olofsson, and Reinhart has a terrific ability to get to the net and poke in rebounds.

Sheary-Mittelstadt-Rodrigues
Rodrigues is a solid two-way player who can work effectively from the wing. Sheary is a passenger, but one who is an effective 3rd liner. Mittelstadt has two guys who he can work with. Rodrigues and can carry the puck into the zone for this group, Mittelstadt can be the main puck handler in the zone (he does have amazing stickhandling), and Sheary can be the one who capitalizes on their work.

Smith-Larsson-Okposo

I think this will be an effective matchup 4th line. Maybe Girgensons plays above one of Okposo or Smith, but it’ll be a solid shutdown line if Okposo isn’t completely broken.

Defense:

Dahlin-Miller
-Just seems too easy to me. Millers put up solid numbers in a more limited role, with not the best partners. I think he’ll be a solid partner to let Dahlin be Dahlin.

Ristolainen-Montour
-At least until Pilut comes back, they played a game or two at the end of the season last year and put up some solid corsi numbers in about 45min. I do realize it’s EXTREMELY limited, but I think these two could do well in a limited role. Ristolainen has played on his off hand, and this would allow Montour, as the main puck mover out of the d-zone, into the neutral and o-zone, to be on his dominant side. This line would get the heavy o-zone minutes, and would promote the offensive capabilities of both players.

McCabe-Nelson
Both can skate pretty well. Neither are great puck movers, but I think Nelson has the ability to be a solid PK, bottom pair kind of guy, and really that’s what McCabe should be relegated to. No more top-4 role for the guy. He’s a good bottom pair who can be on a 2nd pair in a pinch, but ultimately he’s a bottom pair guy.

No Scandella?

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
No Scandella?

He’d be my 7th defenseman. I’d prefer giving Nelson a look honestly.

Then once Pilut comes back...

Dahlin-Miller
Pilut-Ristolainen
McCabe-Montour

If Jokhijarju makes it by season’s end I’d hope it’d look something like...

Dahlin-Jokiharju
Pilut-Miller
McCabe/Ristolainen-Montour
*Could see Ristolainen even being dealt at the deadline if he’s not before the start of the season.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Johansson-Mittelstadt-Olofsson
Vesey-ERod-Sheary
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo
x Sobotka

I guess this is todays ideal lineup for the forward group for me.

I'd prefer Olofsson play with Eichel, but they already have a shooter on the line with Skinner... and according to a friend of mine, Caps fan, Johansson and Reinhart play a similar game so I'm trying to keep them apart.

If Mittelstadt and Johansson can focus on keeping the puck and getting it on Olofsson's stick in the right spots, I think the goals will come.

Vesey, ERod and Sheary are all similar players IMO. Smaller, shiftier. Play hard, some decent offensive instincts. I dunno if that's a good or bad idea but I could see that line being a nuisance at least.

Keep Girgensons and Larsson together and hope Okposo can just play a heavy possession game with them and maybe add a few goals if we're lucky.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He’d be my 7th defenseman. I’d prefer giving Nelson a look honestly.

Then once Pilut comes back...

Dahlin-Miller
Pilut-Ristolainen
McCabe-Montour

If Jokhijarju makes it by season’s end I’d hope it’d look something like...

Dahlin-Jokiharju
Pilut-Miller
McCabe/Ristolainen-Montour
*Could see Ristolainen even being dealt at the deadline if he’s not before the start of the season.

Okay, so you are scratching, when the team is healthy, Nelson, Scandella, Bogo, Girgensons (too many guys, unless you are sending Nelson down (is he eligible to be sent down via waivers))...Is Tage in Rochester?

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Okay, so you are scratching, when the team is healthy, Nelson, Scandella, Bogo, Girgensons (too many guys, unless you are sending Nelson down (is he eligible to be sent down via waivers))...Is Tage in Rochester?

Tage would be in Rochester. And when the entire lineup is healthy, or on verge of being healthy, I’d assume they deal at least one d-man.

I hope for Sobotka to be waived, and the contract to be terminated.

I hope for Hunwick to be waived, and he could even be traded.

As I said, this would be the whole season playing out. If everyone is healthy at any point after October I’d be extremely surprised.

Also, I’m saying that I’d like Jokhijarju up by the end of the season, if that means dealing away a Scandella at or near the deadline, or a Bogosian, that’s fine with me.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I mean he’s basically going to be the “center” on his line from the wing.
This is something Botts has specifically said, so it's definitely how he sees thing. Sam as a right winger but one who drives play from that position as some others around the league do. He's not wrong but I'd still like to see Sam tried at center given the situation there.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I mean he’s basically going to be the “center” on his line from the wing.
Yes and no

Driving a line from the wing is more about possession and offense. Basically when we have the puck. The center’s role will still be more prominent in our end defending when we don’t have the puck. Sam may cycle there at times but the center of his line will have the bulk of that responsibility. Which is why I’d like to still see him tried there. He is as good an option on the current roster (IMO a better option) than anyone not named Jack to try at center.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Johansson-Mittelstadt-Olofsson
Vesey-ERod-Sheary
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo
x Sobotka

I guess this is todays ideal lineup for the forward group for me.

I'd prefer Olofsson play with Eichel, but they already have a shooter on the line with Skinner... and according to a friend of mine, Caps fan, Johansson and Reinhart play a similar game so I'm trying to keep them apart.

If Mittelstadt and Johansson can focus on keeping the puck and getting it on Olofsson's stick in the right spots, I think the goals will come.

Vesey, ERod and Sheary are all similar players IMO. Smaller, shiftier. Play hard, some decent offensive instincts. I dunno if that's a good or bad idea but I could see that line being a nuisance at least.

Keep Girgensons and Larsson together and hope Okposo can just play a heavy possession game with them and maybe add a few goals if we're lucky.

Vesey is not small, nor is he shifty. His game is akin to an ultra-light JVR.

If they are inserting Olofsson, keeping him on his regular side, that he's played his whole career, is probably a safer bet than having him learn a new position while breaking in to a new league.

From Bott's comments, I'm anticipating Sheary getting some cycles on Jack's RW. The downside is that Skinner is not Rust/Hornqvist defensively and Eichel is not Sid at dominating the puck. That line needs to be more than just even at 5-on-5 scoring for this team to win reliably.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

If they are inserting Olofsson, keeping him on his regular side, that he's played his whole career, is probably a safer bet than having him learn a new position while breaking in to a new league.
I guess it'd make sense that I get wrong the two players I really haven't seen play much, if at all. :laugh:

EDIT: Didn't Olofsson play with Skinner-Jack in his cup of coffee last season? Did he play RW or did they move Skinner over?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Tage would be in Rochester. And when the entire lineup is healthy, or on verge of being healthy, I’d assume they deal at least one d-man.

I hope for Sobotka to be waived, and the contract to be terminated.

I hope for Hunwick to be waived, and he could even be traded.

As I said, this would be the whole season playing out. If everyone is healthy at any point after October I’d be extremely surprised.

Also, I’m saying that I’d like Jokhijarju up by the end of the season, if that means dealing away a Scandella at or near the deadline, or a Bogosian, that’s fine with me.

Okay thanks for the clarification, didn't see Girgs in your lineup so was a little confused as well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I guess it'd make sense that I get wrong the two players I really haven't seen play much, if at all. :laugh:

EDIT: Didn't Olofsson play with Skinner-Jack in his cup of coffee last season? Did he play RW or did they move Skinner over?

No he played LW with Eichel and Reinhart.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

From Bott's comments, I'm anticipating Sheary getting some cycles on Jack's RW. The downside is that Skinner is not Rust/Hornqvist defensively and Eichel is not Sid at dominating the puck. That line needs to be more than just even at 5-on-5 scoring for this team to win reliably.
Sheary definitely sounds like he will be a RW next year based on Botts comments. Not sure if that means Jack’s wing though. Unless he said something specific about that and I missed it.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Skinner - Eichel - Rodriques/Sheary
Olofsson - Johansson - Reinhart
Vesey - Mittelstadt - Sheary/Rodrigues
Smith - Larsson - Okposo
Girgensons

If historic trends hold, they're going to get lit up defensively.

For my money:

Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson
Vesey-Johansson-Reinhart
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Rodrigues
Girgensons-Larsson-Smith
Okposo

Dahlin-Montour
McCabe (placeholder for Pilut)-Miller
Scandella-Ristolainen

I'm making the decision on defense, to give Montour the reigns with Dahlin to open up the lanes more. I'm taking a more stable approach with McCabe and Miller until Pilut is back to allow Miller to be the lead on the second pair. Finally, I am putting Ristolainen on the third pair with Scandella to help sort out the issues both have shown.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If we're going to have Mittelstadt on the team:

My wish

Skinner-Jack-Vesey
Mittelstadt-Reinhart-Girgensons
Olofsson-MaJo-Erod
Sheary-Larsson-Okposo
Ex Sobotka (if not waived)/Smith

Dahlin-Miller
Scandella-Montour
McCabe/Pilut-Ristolainen
Ex. Bogo

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I will say that there are definitely more options than last year, and I want to see Olofsson and Smith up all year. There is no reason to hold them back. I'd start Joker, in the AHL unless the ultimate trade offer happens for Ristolainen or we dump Bogosian for a draft pick or young AHL type talent.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Skinner - Eichel - Rodriques/Sheary
Olofsson - Johansson - Reinhart
Vesey - Mittelstadt - Sheary/Rodrigues
Smith - Larsson - Okposo
Girgensons

If historic trends hold, they're going to get lit up defensively.

I’m hoping that whatever system Krueger installs becomes our best defender. It would take a lot of pressure off individual players who have been overwhelmed at times with their defensive responsibilities. A simplified approach with less thinking involved. Akin to what Trotz has always done and Berube just did.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’m hoping that whatever system Krueger installs becomes our best defender. It would take a lot of pressure off individual players who have been overwhelmed at times with their defensive responsibilities. A simplified approach with less thinking involved. Akin to what Trotz has always done and Berube just did.

Gallant's method in Vegas too. Less thinking, more playing.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Gallant's method in Vegas too. Less thinking, more playing.

I've also been very hopeful for this, but looking into his brief tenure in Edmonton dampers my optimism. Krueger, and more specifically his staff, remain the key to all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad