2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I think most of us would be fine with this it's just we don't expect it to happen given how reluctant to try it they have been so far.
Our smartest and best two-way forward and it's not close. I have zero doubts he can develop into not only a 2c but a 1c. I hate how they have handled Reinhart to be honest. He should be locked up for years and he should have been developed as a center.

It's not too late.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Our smartest and best two-way forward and it's not close. I have zero doubts he can develop into not only a 2c but a 1c. I hate how they have handled Reinhart to be honest. He should be locked up for years and he should have been developed as a center.

It's not too late.

IIRC, Botts sounded fairly adamant about his status as a winger earlier in the offseason. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but hearing the quote did not inspire confidence that he would be tried at C again.

And it really is a shame. I'd love to know what the real reason is behind their unwillingness. Sam refusing? Management forgetting that he's only ever centered bottom 6 wingers, at best?

When this question first came up I remember the reason being that he and Jack wanted to stay together. Now Botts is talking about Sam being able to drive play on his own, but not at center? Very confusing indeed.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

It's not too late.

Trust me, I've been tooting this for a while, about Reinhart being a center.

I think last season(2019-2019) was the first season that he should've been really given a shot to center the Secondary scoring line (the "2C" spot). I'm okay with having Reinhart learning and developing his game at NHL speed on the wing before prior to putting him @ center. I think the same should be done with Mittelstadt as well (actually, because of his ELC, I'd rather see him in the AHL at center).

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Trust me, I've been tooting this for a while, about Reinhart being a center.

I think last season(2019-2019) was the first season that he should've been really given a shot to center the Secondary scoring line (the "2C" spot). I'm okay with having Reinhart learning and developing his game at NHL speed on the wing before prior to putting him @ center. I think the same should be done with Mittelstadt as well (actually, because of his ELC, I'd rather see him in the AHL at center).

There are people that will suggest moving a young center to wing to help him develop.
Then if that young player takes positive steps forward, there are people that will say "he's doing great at wing, why on earth would you want to move him back to center?"

What kills me is when those two opinions come from the same people...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
There are people that will suggest moving a young center to wing to help him develop.
Then if that young player takes positive steps forward, there are people that will say "he's doing great at wing, why on earth would you want to move him back to center?"

What kills me is when those two opinions come from the same people...

I think there's a time and place to have that mindset. I think if your team is performing well, and you have amazing chemistry with your players as you have, why change it up? But I don't think you should have a concrete mindset of never wanting to move a player over. I think you need to have your options.

I'm a firm believer in starting young players at the wing, but at the same time understand that you need to treat each situation individually. My thoughts on where I wanted Reinhart to start were different than where I wanted Eichel started (though in the past I have made comments of trying him at wing with ROR to jump start some offense).

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I think the belief is that Reinhart can be more effective and still drive a line from the wing, as long as he has a serviceable centerman. If they don’t make any more additions, I see Johansson taking that spot.

Skinner-Eichel-Vesey
-Vesey can handle the Pominville role of being a low event player who can go to the net and poke in some rebounds.

Olofsson-Johansson-Reinhart
This puts a sniper like Olofsson with two guys in Reinhart and Johansson who can carry play. Johansson is very good in the neutral zones with entries and defending our zone. Reinhart has very good possession numbers and can really help the cycle down low, etc. Those two will be great setup men for a player like Olofsson, and Reinhart has a terrific ability to get to the net and poke in rebounds.

Sheary-Mittelstadt-Rodrigues
Rodrigues is a solid two-way player who can work effectively from the wing. Sheary is a passenger, but one who is an effective 3rd liner. Mittelstadt has two guys who he can work with. Rodrigues and can carry the puck into the zone for this group, Mittelstadt can be the main puck handler in the zone (he does have amazing stickhandling), and Sheary can be the one who capitalizes on their work.

Smith-Larsson-Okposo

I think this will be an effective matchup 4th line. Maybe Girgensons plays above one of Okposo or Smith, but it’ll be a solid shutdown line if Okposo isn’t completely broken.

Defense:

Dahlin-Miller
-Just seems too easy to me. Millers put up solid numbers in a more limited role, with not the best partners. I think he’ll be a solid partner to let Dahlin be Dahlin.

Ristolainen-Montour
-At least until Pilut comes back, they played a game or two at the end of the season last year and put up some solid corsi numbers in about 45min. I do realize it’s EXTREMELY limited, but I think these two could do well in a limited role. Ristolainen has played on his off hand, and this would allow Montour, as the main puck mover out of the d-zone, into the neutral and o-zone, to be on his dominant side. This line would get the heavy o-zone minutes, and would promote the offensive capabilities of both players.

McCabe-Nelson
Both can skate pretty well. Neither are great puck movers, but I think Nelson has the ability to be a solid PK, bottom pair kind of guy, and really that’s what McCabe should be relegated to. No more top-4 role for the guy. He’s a good bottom pair who can be on a 2nd pair in a pinch, but ultimately he’s a bottom pair guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad