Speculation: 2019-20 Roster, Cap, Trade Discussion (MOD WARNING POST #542)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Is that the guy from Sportsnet that ranks Petry as better than Weber and a top Dman man in the league? You don’t actually believe that do you?

Berkshire has access to stats that only the league’s teams do. Fowler is easily one of the best transition D in the league and when Anaheim has been great it has been pretty clear he has been top dog since coming into the league.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Just imagine Fowler-Montour in this system....:popcorn:

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Just imagine Fowler-Montour in this system....:popcorn:

You and others like to say that, but what makes you think Montour would adapt to this system any better than he did before? If the rumors are correct, the ducks PLAYERS (particularly, defense partners) didn't like playing with Montour because he was not dependable. Certainly, his play was inconsistent.

Just because the ducks now have a better system that emphasizes speed doesn't mean that Montour would automatically be a better fit. The new system requires structure and teamwork - arguably more than Carlyle's - and it is no guarantee Montour would adapt or be better in it.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Idk what went on in the dressing room, I doubt anybody does, but Montour was dominant AF with the Gulls, under Eakins. Given our D depth, I still think it was not right to trade Monty, albeit the return was solid and I do think that there are good arguments why he had to be traded.
We also have Guhle often injured so I still don`t know what we have in him, but he`s not better than Montour now, and there is a good to great possibility - ever.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Idk what went on in the dressing room, I doubt anybody does, but Montour was dominant AF with the Gulls, under Eakins. Given our D depth, I still think it was not right to trade Monty, albeit the return was solid and I do think that there are good arguments why he had to be traded.
We also have Guhle often injured so I still don`t know what we have in him, but he`s not better than Montour now, and there is a good to great possibility - ever.

Buffalo needs to shed a D. I wonder if a Montour return is possible? But do they really want him back if there were maybe locker room issues? Like you said a new coach and system now. So things could be different with performance. The only other D I see them trading is McCabe or Scandella. The price for Risto is too much.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Buffalo needs to shed a D. I wonder if a Montour return is possible? But do they really want him back if there were maybe locker room issues? Like you said a new coach and system now. So things could be different with performance. The only other D I see them trading is McCabe or Scandella. The price for Risto is too much.
I doubt we see Montour back, if we pay any lesser price, the Buffalo GM will look dumb and he probably will not like that. McCabe and Scandella ar lefties, but might be an option for Bob to improve our depth.
In the past I could see us targeting Scandella, but with the changed system approach, McCabe could very well be something Bob likes - and rightfully so, he is a good defenseman, could work well with Fowler

wraparound

May 17, 2014
I know it’s a snowball’s chance in hell but nabbing Colin Miller would be a huge get.

I wouldn’t mind getting Montour back; he thrived under Eakins in San Diego. That familiarity could be the catalyst that gets the most out of him.

Oct 18, 2011
You and others like to say that, but what makes you think Montour would adapt to this system any better than he did before? If the rumors are correct, the ducks PLAYERS (particularly, defense partners) didn't like playing with Montour because he was not dependable. Certainly, his play was inconsistent.

Just because the ducks now have a better system that emphasizes speed doesn't mean that Montour would automatically be a better fit. The new system requires structure and teamwork - arguably more than Carlyle's - and it is no guarantee Montour would adapt or be better in it.
Because he played under the same system with Eakins and was the best dman in the AHL, also Eakins would put him in situations beneficial to his skills like he has done with Fowler

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Because he played under the same system with Eakins and was the best dman in the AHL, also Eakins would put him in situations beneficial to his skills like he has done with Fowler
I am suspicious that Montour was a better AHL player because of the lower level of structure and organization in the AHL. It’s more freewheeling, and individual skills can overcome a lack of systems play.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I am suspicious that Montour was a better AHL player because of the lower level of structure and organization in the AHL. It’s more freewheeling, and individual skills can overcome a lack of systems play.
I am suspicious Montour was in a dinosaur system and is a new age defensemen that would have been perfect in the system we are currently playing with defensemen driving the center lane and joining the rush

Oct 18, 2011
Trading him before trying him in a modern system is questionable and nothing I've seen from Guhle shows he's as good of a talent

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I am suspicious Montour was in a dinosaur system and is a new age defensemen that would have been perfect in the system we are currently playing with defensemen driving the center lane and joining the rush
I don’t think the issues with him are about skills. What I’ve heard sounds more like his partners never knew what he was going to do.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Since Manson has forgot to play hockey it could be
Lindholm Montour
Fowler Manson
Larsson MDZ

One D and one OFD on each all can skate and move puck

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

I specifically asked Stephens the question last year and was told the Ducks played the same system in the AHL as in the NHL. I don't think the two systems were different and, keep in mind, Montour was always older than his peers.

Trading him before trying him in a modern system is questionable and nothing I've seen from Guhle shows he's as good of a talent

Guhle is unproven and seemingly injury prone. In terms of talent, you need to be more specific. Sprong is more talented (in some respects) than some of the players on the ducks roster. But he's not a better player. I think there's a decent chance that Guhle becomes the better (or more useful) player because Montour has yet to show his "talent" will translate to production in the NHL. Montour is tantalizing - and I am not bashing him. But let's not delude ourselves into thinking he has been consistent in producing.

Taking into account age, contract, and actual production, Guhle is not too far off from Montour. And of course, as others pointed out, there is the matter of the pick the ducks also received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino