2019-20 Rocket Thread: Ovechkin, Pastrnak, Matthews, etc ...

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Tiebreaker in this extraordinary circumstance should be games played by the team.
There is no tiebreaker. As many as 3 guys have won this trophy in the same year. In that year, Rick Nash played 1 less game than the 2 guys he tied.

Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy - Wikipedia

If you want to go by goals per game then Zbinejad should win it. He has the highest goal/game rate.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Why? was Ovechkin guaranteed too score in the whopping 1 extra game?
Opposite... Pastrnak played 2 extra games. Hence, give it to Ovi because of goals/game average.

That's when I can counter with Zbinejad having a higher rate than both. So give it to him? Of course not.

It's funny because the first (of 3) Art Ross tiebreaker is the player with the most goals
You'd think the Richard tiebreaker would be most assists

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Opposite... Pastrnak played 2 extra games. Hence, give it to Ovi because of goals/game average.

That's when I can counter with Zbinejad having a higher rate than both. So give it to him? Of course not.

It's funny because the first (of 3) Art Ross tiebreaker is the player with the most goals

I don't think you should punish Pastrnak for Ovechkin getting suspended a game on his own accord. But ya, can't change it to most goals in a season to goal per game but not give it to the person who leads in goals per game either.

Reactions: Czechboy

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Man Ovi suffers from 2 lockouts and a f***ing global pandemic for his all time goal scoring

He misses 40-55 from his rookie season, an additional 20-21 from the 48 game season (on pace for 55) and now probably misses a couple more once the season is cancelled

I think most of the goals he would have scored as a rookie were probably made up for by the league's obstruction crackdown increasing scoring when he entered the league that likely wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Reactions: wetcoast

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Tiebreaker in this extraordinary circumstance should be games played by the team.

Im a Caps fan and say it should not. I don’t see the difference between this and Ovi tying with Pasta at the end of the season having played 1 fewer game due to the all star game suspension. It would be shared in that scenario, and it should be shared in this scenario.

People might put an asterisk next to it for Pasta but that wouldn’t change the fact that hed get credit for it and would have a giant trophy sitting in his living room.

I don't think you should punish Pastrnak for Ovechkin getting suspended a game on his own accord. But ya, can't change it to most goals in a season to goal per game but not give it to the person who leads in goals per game either.

Pasta has played 2 more games than Ovi. Not 1.

Reactions: wetcoast

Jun 15, 2007
There's team games and games played. They are different concepts. 50 in 50 is based on team games, not games played.

Pastrnak has one more team game than Ovechkin. Two more games played because Ovechkin's suspension.

Zib missed games but he didnt miss out on team games. He doesnt lead the league in goals/ team game.

I'm just explaining the difference. I still think Pastrnak and Ovie tied.

Reactions: gtrower

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016

That’s not funny at all. Art Ross is goals + assists and goals are more important so it’s the tie breaker.

Rocket has nothing to do with assists so why on earth would it be involved in a tie breaker? Might as well use FO%. If you’re gonna use a tiebreaker the only logical one is gpg.

And of course you’re not gonna use gpg as the first qualifier. You’d have rookies getting the Rocket after getting called up and scoring in the only game they played.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Yes but the Caps have only played one more game than the Bruins. Ovi voluntarily took a one game suspension to not have to participate in the all star game.

You have that backwards. The Bruins have played an extra game. Not the Caps

Anyway what’s your point here? Even if Ovi hadn’t skipped the all star game Pasta would still have played an extra game.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
If they cancel the season, I hope only after tonight games. No better chance for Ovi to win the Rocket then play vs Detroit

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
You have that backwards. The Bruins have played an extra game. Not the Caps

Anyway what’s your point here? Even if Ovi hadn’t skipped the all star game Pasta would still have played an extra game.

I noticed that and fixed it.

The point is, they have the same amount of goals. The award is for Most amount of goals in a season. There is no way to guarantee Ovi would score in one more game. They both should be awarded the rocket. If your argument is that Ovi has the higher goals per game so he should get it, Mika has the highest in the league.

The league makes it seem that they are going to play regular season games when they come back so this argument doesn't really matter.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
f***ing hell........ Welp, here we go chances for Ovi to beat Gretzky's record... He missed his rookie season, 34 games in 12/13 and right now probably around 10 goals or so. Those 10 goals can be crucial... Dont think he beats Gretzky's record now tbh...

Last edited by a moderator:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Fuuuuuucking hell........ Welp, here we go chances for Ovi to beat Gretzky's record... He missed his rookie season, 34 games in 12/13 and right now probably around 10 goals or so. Those 10 goals can be crucial... Dont think he beats Gretzky's record now tbh...

So maybe the Ovi fan boys are going to have to find a different narrative now?

That being said Ovi and Pasta have had outstanding seasons as goal scorers.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Since I mentioned it...

5 on 5 goals - Ovi 35, Pastrnak 27
PP goals - Pastrnak 20, Ovi, 13
SHG - 0
GWG - Pastrnak 10, Ovi 3
OTG - tied at 1

I should probably clarify that I'm totally fine with a tie and really happy for both guys... feel bad for Matthews (and maybe even Drai) as he had a very legit shot at winning it as well.

Ovi is a legend that will be instant hall of fame.

Pasta was a mid 20's pick and consider the 2nd best Czech shooter (behind Vrana who went in the teens) and is somehow in Hart and Rocket contention. Beautiful story really.

They both have amazing supporting casts.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
If it's only goals then let the stats head have some fun.. should first tiebreaker be most 5 vs 5 goals? Then most GWG? Then Most OT goals?

That’s fine then, as long as it’s goals. You’d think it would be ESG or ESG - ENG. But either way you’re getting into the weeds. I’d say gpg or nothing.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
I noticed that and fixed it.

The point is, they have the same amount of goals. The award is for Most amount of goals in a season. There is no way to guarantee Ovi would score in one more game. They both should be awarded the rocket. If your argument is that Ovi has the higher goals per game so he should get it, Mika has the highest in the league.

The league makes it seem that they are going to play regular season games when they come back so this argument doesn't really matter.

I already said it should be given to both of them. That’s how the leagues treated it and they shouldn’t change it for this special case.

But you also can’t tell me every Pasta fan isn’t breathing a huge sigh of relief that Ovi doesn’t get to play Detroit tonight. The odds on him scoring at least one would be like 80%.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

Goals are part of winning the Art Ross. Assists have nothing to do with the Rocket.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I already said it should be given to both of them. That’s how the leagues treated it and they shouldn’t change it for this special case.

But you also can’t tell me every Pasta fan isn’t breathing a huge sigh of relief that Ovi doesn’t get to play Detroit tonight. The odds on him scoring at least one would be like 80%.

Ovi had Detroit tonight. Pasta had Buffalo tomorrow. I'd be lying if I said i didnt prefer it happening now then tomorrow at this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: