2019-20 Rocket Thread: Ovechkin, Pastrnak, Matthews, etc ...

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
While I do agree that "a goal is a goal", the poster complaining about Ovi's ENGs does make a reasonable point there: Ovi is never out there for a 4v5 (1 minute in the whole season), but he spends a lot of a time out there for a 5v6. That is unusual, whichever way you look at it.
How is that a reasonable point when they're 2 completely different things?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
While I do agree that "a goal is a goal", the poster complaining about Ovi's ENGs does make a reasonable point there: Ovi is never out there for a 4v5 (1 minute in the whole season), but he spends a lot of a time out there for a 5v6. That is unusual, whichever way you look at it.

The Capitals use a completely different group of players on the 5 on 6 than their penalty kill unit. Backstrom and Oshie and Carlson are also out 5 on 6 while this season their penalty killing has been a minimum. Ovechkin plays almost 21 mins a night at 34. You think he isn't playing enough?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I'd just like to see Matthews break Vaive's record but that seems like a tall task at this point.

And yet, 50 goals is something I have never witnessed a player on my favourite team do since I've been a fan, so I'm excited.

I think Ovie will get it though, him or Pasta, they seem to do well on the PP and I get the sense they get more of those (maybe I'm wrong though)

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
It’s not like people weren’t trying to stop him lol. Who cares? Does missing and 80 foot shot make him not a good goal scorer or something.
You're missing the point here - every time Ovi has an ENG his detractors come out spouting that ENGs shouldn't count because they're simple to get (they do not allow for varying kinds of ENG, all are viewed the same).

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
I'd just like to see Matthews break Vaive's record but that seems like a tall task at this point.

And yet, 50 goals is something I have never witnessed a player on my favourite team do since I've been a fan, so I'm excited.

I think Ovie will get it though, him or Pasta, they seem to do well on the PP and I get the sense they get more of those (maybe I'm wrong though)
You are very wrong I'm afraid with regard to Ovechkin. Ovi is tied for the league lead with Matthews having 35 goals at even strength and "only" 13 on the power play.

He has had very few of his left circle bombs this calendar year, and has only had five power play goals in total since November (yikes) since the Caps' power play has completely cratered.

You're correct about Pasta though, he has 20 PP goals and 28 even strength ones - easily the number one power play producer this season. This race is going to come down to the wire big time.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
You are very wrong I'm afraid with regard to Ovechkin. Ovi is tied for the league lead with Matthews having 35 goals at even strength and "only" 13 on the power play.

He has had very few of his left circle bombs this calendar year, and has only had five power play goals in total since November (yikes) since the Caps' power play has completely cratered.

You're correct about Pasta though, he has 20 PP goals and 28 even strength ones - easily the number one power play producer this season. This race is going to come down to the wire big time.

I actually meant power play opportunities.

I don't want to start anything but I feel like american teams on american broadcasts have way more power plays.

That's all I'm talking about. Doesn't matter though and I'm sure I'm wrong anyway.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
You're missing the point here - every time Ovi has an ENG his detractors come out spouting that ENGs shouldn't count because they're simple to get (they do not allow for varying kinds of ENG, all are viewed the same).

Oh. Weird. I’ve never said anything about ENG not counting.

I simply posted that Pasta almost took the lead on an empty-netter but missed by inches. And somehow that triggered people to Bash him.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Oh. Weird. I’ve never said anything about ENG not counting.

I simply posted that Pasta almost took the lead on an empty-netter but missed by inches. And somehow that triggered people to Bash him.

Think you unwittingly stepped into the ring of a Bruins/Caps fans ENG debate that’s been going on this season. Your comment was an alley-oop for calling back all the angst for pasta passing on an empty net (something Ovi has been known to do as well).

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Think you unwittingly stepped into the ring of a Bruins/Caps fans ENG debate that’s been going on this season. Your comment was an alley-oop for calling back all the angst for pasta passing on an empty net (something Ovi has been known to do as well).

People tend to cherry pick things to try and make themselves feel better.
Last I checked EN goals count towards the Rocket, and this is a thread about the Rocket.

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
The Capitals use a completely different group of players on the 5 on 6 than their penalty kill unit. Backstrom and Oshie and Carlson are also out 5 on 6 while this season their penalty killing has been a minimum. Ovechkin plays almost 21 mins a night at 34. You think he isn't playing enough?
I'm not criticising Ovechkin. I'm just saying his usage is highly unusual.

For your examples: Carlson plays 2:35 SH per game, Bäckstrom 0:55 and even Oshie has 0:35.

Ovechkin has exactly 0.

That's my point.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not criticising Ovechkin. I'm just saying his usage is highly unusual.

For your examples: Carlson plays 2:35 SH per game, Bäckstrom 0:55 and even Oshie has 0:35.

Ovechkin has exactly 0.

That's my point.

What stats are you looking at? I am looking at the NHL.com stats page on Caps TOI. shtoi/g. Carlson 1:30. Backstrom 0:14. Oshie 0:09. That's a shift in an emergency.

NHL.com Stats

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad